well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Negative COVID tests...and other recent COVID news
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Negative COVID tests...and other recent COVID news
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
In early May, 27-year-old Hayley Furmaniuk felt tired and a bit congested, but after rapid-testing negative for the coronavirus two days in a row, she dined indoors with friends. The next morning, her symptoms worsened. Knowing her parents were driving in for Mother’s Day, she tested again—and saw a very bright positive. Which meant three not-so-great things: She needed to cancel with her parents; she had likely exposed her friends; a test had apparently taken three days to register what her vaccinated body had already figured out.

Tests are not and never have been perfect, but since around the rise of Omicron, the problem of delayed positivity has gained some prominence. In recent months, many people have logged strings of negatives—three, four, even five or more days in a row—early in their COVID-symptom course. “I think it’s become more common,” says Amesh Adalja, an infectious-disease physician at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

https://www.theatlantic.com/he...est-accurate/661242/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I think if you’re not feeling well, you don’t go out, even if you’re testing negative. Sometimes it takes a while for the viral load to be big enough to test positive. And why should you feel free to give your friends a cold, if that’s what it is? Stay home.

A friend had a sore throat, tested negative for several days, came on a walk (and unmasked coffee) with us, and tested positive the day after that. Blergh.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9808 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
One of my piano teacher clients sees the silver lining in the zoom lesson experience. Now that they are back in person, no one comes in with any symptoms of anything, they just zoom from home!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7560 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think if you’re not feeling well, you don’t go out, even if you’re testing negative.

+ One hundred gazillion.

I have heard people say (or write on FB) "I don't have covid, it's just the sniffles" and then they go out or otherwise act as normal -- IOW, exposing all kinds of people.

I'm waffle between shock and disgust at how clueless people are. Or is it willful ignorance?

Sigh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sort of related....COVID reinfections...

https://www.npr.org/sections/g...eal-with-reinfection

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
People don't want to use their paid sick leave, or they have no paid sick leave left. Or they want to treat it like vacation leave (and use it that way, even though they're not supposed to). They want to store it up and as a result they come in to work when they're clearly sick. It's been an issue long before COVID. Actually, COVID has helped in many cases, because we can send some employees (depending on their job) away to work from home. COVID has ensured that most employees have the ability to wfh, so if they're feeling like work warriors they can work, just away from the rest of us.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I sent the reinfection article to my friend the researcher, who has been concerned about long COVID for some time now.

I got this article back with a "Thanks. Back atcha."

quote:
Post–COVID Conditions Among Adult COVID-19 Survivors Aged 18–64 and ≥65 Years — United States, March 2020–November 2021 ...

COVID-19 survivors have twice the risk for developing pulmonary embolism or respiratory conditions; one in five COVID-19 survivors aged 18–64 years and one in four survivors aged ≥65 years experienced at least one incident condition that might be attributable to previous COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7121e1.htm

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
And if nothing else, COVID has reminded us that illness is contagious and you are not a hero by going to work sick..Hopefully, workplace sick time/wfh policies will be updated. (To include sick children as well!)

My own work place has completely taken this on..if you feel off, stay home work from home, no sick time needed to be taken. It lifts such a burden of "should I or shouldn't I" go in ..and makes us all feel cared for by our employer. I do, however, work for a nonprofit that cares for the underservered.

I am grateful our org treats us, employees, with the same compassion and understanding as we do our clients. Yes

quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
People don't want to use their paid sick leave, or they have no paid sick leave left. Or they want to treat it like vacation leave (and use it that way, even though they're not supposed to). They want to store it up and as a result they come in to work when they're clearly sick. It's been an issue long before COVID. Actually, COVID has helped in many cases, because we can send some employees (depending on their job) away to work from home. COVID has ensured that most employees have the ability to wfh, so if they're feeling like work warriors they can work, just away from the rest of us.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
There have been several companies (primarily in high tech/knowledge workers, not manufacturing, or maybe that's just what I'm reading) that have stopped the process of accruing and requestion paid time off. If you're sick, stay home. If you want to take some time off, take time off.

It has been working, by and large. In some cases, these types of arrangements are prohibited via state labor laws.

The biggest issues have come from unions (variety of reasons, but notably the lack of a cash payout for unused time), and from supervisors who now must manage employees based on actual output and not face time hours. In other words, if you suspect your employee is taking advantage of the open access to time off, you need to look at their performance towards your expectations and not substitute "showing up" for actually getting stuff done. That, of course, is what a good supervisor/manager should be doing in the first place, but not all.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re covid infections.... It's at the level of one observer (me) and anecdotal etc., but I am seeing a huge uptick of people testing positive.

I have two colleagues who went to their first work conferences since before covid, both ended up getting covid, being symptomatic and using paxlovid.

My younger cousin just posted on FB that although she has avoided covid for two years, she is now positive and symptomatic.

I am an alum of the JET Program. They had a huge multi-day convention in Seattle in the last week of May which I really wanted to go to, but I decided not to go (since the registration etc was happening in Feb maybe?)

Anyway, I followed the FB page for the event, and about two days after convention ended, the FB page became one long announcement for attendees posting that they'd tested positive afterwards.

And then there are the families I know where one person tests positive, no one else does but they're all sick.

Sigh. And while this is all anecdotal, my state's public health page shows that all numbers are rising, including new cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Hospital bed occupancy statewide is something like 73% and ICU occupancy is 66%.

In the meantime, MR SK and I continue to mask everywhere, are not doing anything social, no eating in restaurants etc. And nothing I see around me that makes me think we should be doing anything different.

I don't see how we're ever going to get "back to normal" -- whatever that means.

Frowner

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh, and BTW my cousin (the same one who today posted that she's positive) is planning her Oct. wedding and I heard from my mother that the guest list is expected to 200 people. I don't think she's planning an outdoor wedding, and by the timing of it and where she lives, I think it would be a weather risk to do so anyway.

I am hoping that I'll have some covid clarity by the time an actual invitation arrives, but I won't hold my breath.

Frowner

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A friend tested negative. The woman he lives with tested positive. They don't share space when they can avoid it. Hopefully he will not convert.
Neighbors were due back from 3.5 weeks bicycling Italy and France. Paul tested negative. His wife tested positive and is still in Italy. They have been married for years, raised kids, etc.. Not sure how much space they share.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
The rapid tests are carp. They just are.

As it was explained to me last October, the rapid test picks up your body's response to the virus, which of course happens later in the course of your infection. But you are most contagious at the beginning of your infection. By the time you get a positive on the rapid test, you have exposed others for days.

When people are most infectious, the rapid test often gives false negatives. All they do is give people a false sense of security, particularly when people feel a little off and test to see if they should do something. They get a false negative, rely on that, expose everyone they know, and then they get a positive afterward.

I have a bunch of rapid tests in the cabinet. I have stopped using them.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
The rapid tests are carp. They just are.

As it was explained to me last October, the rapid test picks up your body's response to the virus, which of course happens later in the course of your infection. But you are most contagious at the beginning of your infection. By the time you get a positive on the rapid test, you have exposed others for days.

When people are most infectious, the rapid test often gives false negatives. All they do is give people a false sense of security, particularly when people feel a little off and test to see if they should do something. They get a false negative, rely on that, expose everyone they know, and then they get a positive afterward.

I have a bunch of rapid tests in the cabinet. I have stopped using them.

^^^^ this, in spades ^^^^

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21362 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yep, most of the people I'm seeing who test positive have had a PCR test through a pharmacy or workplace.

We have those gov't issue tests as well but I don't know if we'll ever use them, what's the point if they're so unreliable?