well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Best $$ Wasting tips
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best $$ Wasting tips
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
MA and Quirt, I'm so, so sorry. Bloat comes on so fast and even with prompt treatment it's a very dicey proposition. We know several people who have lost dogs to it.

Comfort

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Comfort

MA & Quirt, I’m so sorry. You’ve really been through the veterinary wringer this week. Hugs to both of you.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I really, really jinxed our poor animals by commenting on their vet bills.

We lost our German shorthaired pointer today. It was a real shock. She was bouncy and energetic just twenty-four hours ago, rushing outside when I opened the door, but she was acting strangely when we tried to get her to come inside. She didn't seem like herself all evening. This morning, she moaned a little once when I first got up, but then was very perky when asked if she wanted to go outside. When she came in, Quirt offered her a treat and she wouldn't take it. We knew that this wasn't right and he got her a vet appointment.

Once we got her there, we were told that there was a mass in her abdomen, but then that turned out to be a bloated stomach. (And maybe a mass, too. It's hard to know.) We left her there so that they could address the stomach problem, but she went into shock during treatment and just didn't recover.

We are stunned and sad. It's hard to absorb something that happens so fast.

I'm so sorry. This is heartbreaking. As a Mastiff owner I was always alert to signs of bloat. After two of Ben's siblings died of it a week apart, I took him to a vet in Idaho to have his stomach tacked. It doesn't prevent bloat but it does prevent the volvulus--stomach twisting--which is what usually is the cause of death. Ben had a few bloat episodes before the surgery. I learned very quickly that the second they don't seem themselves, it's an emergency (same with horses and colic).

I've never heard of bloat being common in hunting dogs, and I'm so terribly sorry you and Quirt are going through this very painful experience. Frowner

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Oh Mary Anna and Quirt, I am so sorry. Comfort

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

We lost our German shorthaired pointer today. It was a real shock. She was bouncy and energetic just twenty-four hours ago, rushing outside when I opened the door, but she was acting strangely when we tried to get her to come inside. She didn't seem like herself all evening. This morning, she moaned a little once when I first got up, but then was very perky when asked if she wanted to go outside. When she came in, Quirt offered her a treat and she wouldn't take it. We knew that this wasn't right and he got her a vet appointment.

Once we got her there, we were told that there was a mass in her abdomen, but then that turned out to be a bloated stomach. (And maybe a mass, too. It's hard to know.) We left her there so that they could address the stomach problem, but she went into shock during treatment and just didn't recover.

I'm so sorry. This is heartbreaking. As a Mastiff owner I was always alert to signs of bloat. After two of Ben's siblings died of it a week apart, I took him to a vet in Idaho to have his stomach tacked. It doesn't prevent bloat but it does prevent the volvulus--stomach twisting--which is what usually is the cause of death. Ben had a few bloat episodes before the surgery. I learned very quickly that the second they don't seem themselves, it's an emergency (same with horses and colic).

I've never heard of bloat being common in hunting dogs, and I'm so terribly sorry you and Quirt are going through this very painful experience. Frowner

She was 13, and had started to have pretty severe incontinence. The vet said, in retrospect, that could have been caused by neurological issues ... which also could have caused the incredibly quick stomach bloating.

He also said that, while the stomach bloating is life-threatening, so is the treatment. It can cause them to go into something that is akin to toxic shock.

Meanwhile, the German shepherd, who will be 13 in less than a month, carries on. I'd never have guessed she'd outlive the pointer.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
So very sorry, Quirt and MA. That’s a tough, sad situation for a dear companion. Hugs to you both.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Oh, Quirt and MaryAnna I am so sorry... Comfort

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
What sad news and such a shock for you all. So unexpected it must still be hard to believe.

Frowner

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Within the realm of “charity,” consider adopting or taking in foster kids. If you provide them with great education (private tuition, extracurricular lessons, summer enrichment, etc.), seems like that can cost a lot money and you might find it worthwhile many years later. Can probably do the same for refugees, be they from South of the border or from the Middle-East, and you can add expenses for legal services into the mix.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:

We lost our German shorthaired pointer today.
My condolences, sorry for your loss.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Can probably do the same for refugees, be they from South of the border or from the Middle-East, and you can add expenses for legal services into the mix.

I read yesterday that 1800 Afghan refugees are coming to Oklahoma. I was rather surprised to see some of our most reactionary politicians supporting this, but there have been protests from the usual crew. I wanted to donate to someone helping them get settled, but I wasn't sure who would be most likely to do a good job. I eventually went with the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the sympathy on losing Lexie, y'all. It was just so disorienting for things to happen so fast.

It's weird the things you miss. We usually woke up to the tippy-tapping of her claws on the floor outside our door, but not today.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
MA and Quirt, I'm very sorry about your dog.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

She was 13, and had started to have pretty severe incontinence. The vet said, in retrospect, that could have been caused by neurological issues ... which also could have caused the incredibly quick stomach bloating.

He also said that, while the stomach bloating is life-threatening, so is the treatment. It can cause them to go into something that is akin to toxic shock.

Meanwhile, the German shepherd, who will be 13 in less than a month, carries on. I'd never have guessed she'd outlive the pointer.

13 is a good long life for a dog that size. You can console yourselves that she was obviously well loved and well cared for.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Buy a house on acreage in a real estate dead zone and build a *really* expensive barn. And put in an outdoor arena. On a hillside.

I win.

Leaving

A strong argument.
Do we need a contest for WTFer of the month who spent too much again?

I’m no Jodi, but getting divorced and sending three kids to private college go on the list somewhere…

That would be me.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post