well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I saw...
Page 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 69

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I saw...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I wonder why they are so far apart?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but it was truly surreal. My phone camera didn't pick them all up, but there were turbines as far as you could see in all directions, and no humans except highway traffic. Like something out of The Tripods ....

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

So the wake turbulance and vortex shedding off the blades of one turbine doesn't significantly interfere with another turbine as they turn to face the wind in whatever direction it's blowing from.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Makes sense.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Iced Tea?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

Yay, the first growth of the season!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
What's that?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

So the wake turbulance and vortex shedding off the blades of one turbine doesn't significantly interfere with another turbine as they turn to face the wind in whatever direction it's blowing from.

Big Al

Makes sense but the ones out here are a lot closer together. Google "Banning Pass Windmills" for more photos - they really are a sight to see:

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
What's that?

Snowdrops!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Today I had a houseful of Hondurans. Two who are US citizens and one here as visitor; her little boy is here for medical care. We volunteer to visit, tutor, take her on excursions to break the boredom and she loves to learn new things, see new sights.

Our young visitor loves to cook and we, including my Honduran friends, have all struggled to make real flour tortillas..They never come out right.

So today we spent all day as students of 20 year old Karla. Oldest and his girlfriend sat on the couch and entertained the youngin's 6 and 3.5 years old.

When we were done we put out a table FULL of traditional foods. At the first bite, after swooning, everyone described their favorite memories of Honduras. What a fun day!

Our first batch looked pretty good. Karla was a tough teacher and each of us had to make a batch of dough.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I saw Bernard play the cello. Smiler

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

Quick visit to NYC and spent some time at the Metropolitan Museum

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I checked in on Spectacle Pond down the road. Only a thin sheet of ice remains. This morning all I hear on a short walk outside are a lot of bird song, a woodpecker, and rushing water. Sigh.

A partial description of my town from an 1886 article:

"The surface of Groton is rough, uneven and picturesque. Bailey and FLetcher Hills, in the northern part. Baldhead mountain and Kimball
Hill, in the eastern and southeastern parts, and Powers Hill, in the central part of the town, are the principal elevations. In the
southern part of the town lies the deep, picturesque valley of Cockermouth river. This stream has a number of tributaries, the
largest of which is Punch Brook, and flows east into Hebron, where it forms one of the principal inlets of Newfound lake. Hall's brook
winds around Bailey hill and thence flows north, emptying into Baker's River in Rumney. This stream, pure and clear as crystal, dances among the giant bowlders which vainly strive to repress its impetuousity, forming many cascades and eddies, while from its either bank rises
the evergreen hills, towering to the mountain heights above. Following its serptentine course is "Brook road," one of the most picturesque drives in the country. Clark's brook flows north from Groton Hollow, falling into Baker's river. These streams all have a number of small tributaries and afford many fine mill-sites. Spectacle pond, lying on the eastern border, and Little pond, just east
of the central part of the town, are two small bodies of water. The soil of Groton is principally a sandy loam, well adapted to grazing purposes, the principal crops being corn, oats, potatoes, and buckwheat. A large
portion of the territory is covered with valuable timber, principally beech, birch, maple, ash, spruce and hemlock, so that lumbering is an important industry, while large quantities of maple sugar are manufactured. Groton also enjoys the distinction of being the greatest mica producing district in the county."

Smiler

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10575 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, Bernard! Nothing is so much essence of Spring, as when it finally comes to an area that experiences essence of Winter.

And Groton surely does and (especially) did last Winter.

Say, I didn't know the exact location of your new house. I expect that must be where the famous Groton prep school is located! How if at all, does this influence the atmosphere and economics of the town?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post