well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Today I saw...
Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 69

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I saw...
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
"Cockermouth"? Ummmmmm.... *snicker*

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Beautiful, Bernard! Nothing is so much essence of Spring, as when it finally comes to an area that experiences essence of Winter.

And Groton surely does and (especially) did last Winter.

Say, I didn't know the exact location of your new house. I expect that must be where the famous Groton prep school is located! How if at all, does this influence the atmosphere and economics of the town?

Amanda, the Groton School is in Groton, MA. Groton, NH's claim to fame is mica and the Palermo mine (lots of different minerals there), and Mary Baker Eddy whose house (1 of them) stands about a mile down the road from me.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
"Cockermouth"? Ummmmmm.... *snicker*

I know. As if I needed another indication that I ended up in the right place! Big Grin

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So, I'm playing around more with extreme macro. This time, it's lens-reversing. Of course, focusing is a bitch and depth-of-field is paper-thin. I need to buy a focusing rail.

But I thought I'd try a few hand-held shots in the bright sunlight in my front yard, and what better stuff to shoot than some wooly thyme! The cool thing is that you get pictures of stuff you don't even see with the naked eye. Srsly.

These leaves are between 1/8 and 1/4 inch. You don't even see the hairs on them unless you stick your face right in the stuff.

Of course, focus is hit-and-miss. I think I took 20 or 30 shots just to see what I could get.

Once I got inside and looked at them on the computer, I noticed that little yellow blob.

A few more pictures along, I saw her...

Maybe not her best portrait ever... this is a 100% view.

The little rascal can't be more than a millimeter long.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Kenny
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Super macro is a blast.

Do you have a bellows?
I've had a Nikon PB-6 and a PB-4 ... like the PB-4 better.
Your macro lens must have an aperture ring though.
Many new macro lenses don't ... though you could buy a Zeiss macro len$$$$$.

Posts: 9817 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:
Beautiful, Bernard! Nothing is so much essence of Spring, as when it finally comes to an area that experiences essence of Winter.

Say, I didn't know the exact location of your new house. I expect that must be where the famous Groton prep school is located! How if at all, does this influence the atmosphere and economics of the town?

Amanda, the Groton School is in Groton, MA. Groton, NH's claim to fame is mica and the Palermo mine (lots of different minerals there), and Mary Baker Eddy whose house (1 of them) stands about a mile down the road from me.

Ah-so! Had no idea "Groton" was such a much-used name. Must have been a surname of a very large family of settlers (industrialists?).

Neat to live down the road from Mary Baker Eddy's house!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:

Ah-so! Had no idea "Groton" was such a much-used name. Must have been a surname of a very large family of settlers (industrialists?).

Neat to live down the road from Mary Baker Eddy's house!

Actually, my town is named after Groton, MA!

It was originally named Cockermouth in honor of the Earl of Egremont, but because of something called "non-settlement" the land was regranted. One of the grantees succeeded in renaming the town after his hometown of Groton, Massachusetts. (paraphrased from Wikipedia)

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
On the way to the sculpture garden we saw..well..sculpture!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

Survived my debut singing show tunes with these two at a couple of senior living facilities - lotsa fun!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Great photo, Ron1

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Only-in-New York dept.

Also nice that the front of the truck has the word AGGRESSIVE painted in mirror-image, so as you're driving along, you can see the "aggressive" driver coming up behind you.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Mowed lawn!

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Only-in-New York dept.

Also nice that the front of the truck has the word AGGRESSIVE painted in mirror-image, so as you're driving along, you can see the "aggressive" driver coming up behind you.

That MUST be based on someone's bad translation of a word that worked better in their native language! (I'm sure there are loads that would be acceptable in Turkish, for instance. Their warrior ethos, ya know? Ex was named "War"; his mother's maiden name, Atilla, etc. )

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Today, in the office parking lot. Big Grin

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Today, RustyFingers and I took a very long walk..at a good clip. This was not a stroll...our legs were aching when we got back...I googled our distance after getting home..Yikes! 8.6 miles!!!!

Along the way on the bike path we found this charming note. Smiler

MillCityGrows.org