well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Colonoscopy Check-In
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colonoscopy Check-In
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Big Al. Smiler

Posts: 25191 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Glad you survived the prep and procedure. I mean, it's not the most fun thing in the world to do but it's also not that bad.

Polyps are really common. I have a colonoscopy every 3 to 5 years and they're always removing polyps.

--------------------------------
When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38203 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks, wtg.Smiler

Why do you go every 3 to 5 years if I might ask?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My dad, his mother, and her brother all had colon cancer; my dad and his mother both died of it. My mother and her brother both developed colon cancer later in life (mom was 91 and uncle was 78) but in both cases the cancer was very early stage and removed. They both died of other causes.

Since I'm the poster child for genetic risk (multiple people on both maternal and paternal sides), I had my first colonoscopy at age 49 and had an adenomatous polyp removed at that time. That type of polyp is much more likely to become malignant over the course of ten or fifteen years and my GI doc said at the time I probably would have been stage 4 cancer at about the age my Dad was diagnosed, his mid-60s.

There are other polyps that are kind of nothing burgers that they always take out but that only rarely become cancerous.

There are protocols that GI docs follow that tell them, based on how many and what kind of polyps were removed, when you should have a repeat screening. Otherwise, if there are no polyps or other issues you can go 10 years between screenings.

The Cologuard stool test is not an option for me because I'm not average risk. Plus I almost always have polyps, and you have to have a colonoscopy to deal with those so I never do the stool tests.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38203 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Got the scopes done. Cool

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25843 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Good for you.

I missed one procedure because RM told me he wasn't taking me 12 hours before my appointment.

Then I had to reschedule.

Then the place that does the CT scan (radioactive fluid sugar drink will be breakfast) and 2 x rays doesn't have an opening until Aug. 12.

Missed procedure must be rescheduled again.

Wrap up appointment must be rescheduled. Well, I hope this appointment will be the last for a long time.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I don't have cancer. I called to get my lab results. She said no and if I did they would have called me immediately.

I still have a battery of tests and the wrap up appointment but I'm moving them to September.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that your tests are moving along and that no serious issues have come up.

(insert thumbs up emoji here)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

What a saga although of course it could be worse.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thanks (thumbs up goes here)

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25843 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post