well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Colonoscopy Check-In
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colonoscopy Check-In
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
Well, I have my colonoscopy on Monday afternoon. Which means I will be existing on clear liquids all day on Sunday and Monday morning, and I will be missing a whole day of work when we're super busy.

Still, it's worth it. My aunt died of colon cancer (didn't care for doctors and so passed shortly after being sick enough to go to one). Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther) died of colon cancer.

I'm all in (pun intended) on colonoscopies, though. You get peace of mind for a decade (compared to a year for a mammogram), and they can actually address some things while they're in there.

I suspect a few of you are over 50. Are we having our colonoscopies on time? Or do some of you folks need some persuading?

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
For various reasons, I'm on the five-year plan. And I have been getting them on schedule.

The prep is more unpleasant than the actual procedure.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two. I hate the prep. But the drugs are nice.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My first one was a "top and bottom", that is, endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was joking that I hoped they wiped the thing off between procedures.

Due to what they found, they said to come back in three years for another colonoscopy. I did. After that one, they said I could come back in five. After four years, I changed insurance, and I asked to have another one then instead of waiting the full five years. I got it. Nothing noteworthy.

I did do an extra day of prep for the second and third. So day one was broth, day two was yellow jello, day three was Gatorade and the nuclear laxative. It seemed to have worked just fine.

I prefer the midazolam and fentanyl over the propofol. Just sayin'.

I hope it is completely uneventful for you and they find nothing of interest.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

The prep is more unpleasant than the actual procedure.
Dave Barry agrees.

https://www.miamiherald.com/li.../article1928847.html

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
2021 is my year for the 2nd...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I had mine recently during the pandemic...

It was good...I had one in my 40's due to an abdominal pain issue...Like high blood pressure, there is some colon cancer in the fam.

This time the prep was so much better, they just had me OD on Miralax. Way better than that old syrupy horrible stuff. I was in and out of the hospital in less than an hour.

Now on the mammogram..haven't had one in ages, not since I had reduction surgery. Razzer

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That Dave Barry column is a scream. People may not be able to read your link because of the paywall.

I'm having some difficulty, however, in finding a good non-paywall version that doesn't have a ton of extraneous crap attached.

The current prep is a lot kinder than the one I first experienced 11 years ago

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
2021 is my year for the 2nd...

Mine too.

I didn’t think the prep was was all that bad the last time. Hopefully they haven’t changed it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am eligible for the non-scopy test, I’ve been planning to do it this summer. Thanks for the reminder!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18568 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I had one weeks after turning 50. It was actually prescribed because I was having some GI issues, it was just a coincidence that it happened a month after I turned 50. But I’m good for a decade.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
This is my third, and I’m trying the new prep. Twelve huge pills this afternoon, twelve more tomorrow morning.

My only worry is I don’t like swallowing pills.

And I am straight up starving right now. I guess I’ll go buy some jello.

Yuk.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I'm due for my second one.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I had my fourth one last year; I'm in my mid-60s.

I'm a poster child for high risk (family history on both sides, mulitple people). GI doc found a bad pre-cancerous polyp during my first procedure (before I was 50).

Colonoscopies are literally life-saving for me. Well worth putting up with the prep and the procedure.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I had my first one on time at 50. I was having some issues so had the second one a couple of years early at 58. All was fine, but they put me on the five year plan. I don't think that is an undue burden at all, despite the unpleasant prep.

Both times, I had complete amnesia and no real lingering effect of the drugs. The experience was not unpleasant, but I don't have fond memories of the drugs, either.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post