well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The EU's "Powerful" message to Moscow ...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The EU's "Powerful" message to Moscow ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
As I've mentioned before, my family is from Lithuania and suffered through multiple invasions of the country during WWII. Eventually they decided to flee to Germany before the Russians could move back in. They were in Germany when the war ended.

I'm watching what's happening in Ukraine and I can't help but wonder what's going to happen to the refugees. My heart goes out to them; I feel a strong connection to what's happening there.

They're leaving everything behind, and they probably think (or at least hope) that they'll be back eventually, as so many LIthuanians did when they fled the country in 1944. Who knows what fate has in store for them, or for the ones who stay behind....

https://www.newsweek.com/russi...tin-invasion-1682669

Frowner

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
The pic's a very good representation of the EU's solidarity. They couldn't even get all the lights the same color in the top 1/2 or the bottom 1/2.

I'm sorry to say that IMO there will be no unified response to Russia's aggression, some will do tough sanctions, some not-so-tough sanctions, many will do nothing. So Putin gets away with it.

Wonder what country he'll invade next? I'd guess it will be one of the Baltic States, since he's got to believe NATO is unable to respond even if it's one of their own members being invaded.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
The pic's a very good representation of the EU's solidarity. They couldn't even get all the lights the same color in the top 1/2 or the bottom 1/2.

You get the nub of my gist.

This is what the ambassador of the EU to the UK thinks is a "powerful response."

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:

I'm sorry to say that IMO there will be no unified response to Russia's aggression, some will do tough sanctions, some not-so-tough sanctions, many will do nothing. So Putin gets away with it.

Wonder what country he'll invade next? I'd guess it will be one of the Baltic States, since he's got to believe NATO is unable to respond even if it's one of their own members being invaded.

If Trump were President, the U.S. wouldn’t respond, and the rest of NATO would have difficulty. Biden would not refuse to follow the NATO charter, and Putin knows it.

Putin may be waiting for Trump to be re-elected in 2024 in order to take the Baltic states.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
SWIFT?
EU and Biden waffle

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Bit of a Surprise

Germany immediately sending anti-tank weapons, stinger anti-aircraft missiles, and armored vehicles to Ukraine. Where in Ukraine, one wonders. Any aircraft approaching Kyiv is likely to be shot down.

I'm still pushing for the 82nd to occupy Lviv as a corridor for supplies and as a way of preserving the Ukrainian state if Kyiv falls. With a request from Ukraine, of course.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The United States and its allies announced Saturday an agreement to take aim at Russia through SWIFT, a service that facilitates global transactions among thousands of financial institutions.

"We commit to ensuring that selected Russian banks are removed from the SWIFT messaging system. This will ensure that these banks are disconnected from the international financial system and harm their ability to operate globally," the leaders of the European Commission, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States, said in a joint statement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...llies-agre-rcna17832

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
SpaceX’s internet service Starlink is available in Ukraine and more terminals are being sent to the country, according to the company’s CEO Elon Musk.

The conflict-hit nation has seen internet disruptions with Russian troops advancing and missiles hitting key infrastructure. Monitoring group NetBlocks said Thursday that disruptions had been tracked across much of Ukraine including capital city Kyiv.

On Saturday, Musk was asked by a Ukrainian government official if he would provide more of his company’s Starlink stations to the country.

“While you try to colonize Mars — Russia try to occupy Ukraine! While your rockets successfully land from space — Russian rockets attack Ukrainian civil people! We ask you to provide Ukraine with Starlink stations and to address sane Russians to stand,” Mykhailo Fedorov, the vice prime minister of Ukraine and minister of digital transformation, said.

Musk responded late Saturday via Twitter saying: “Starlink service is now active in Ukraine. More terminals en route.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/2...able-in-ukraine.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

Musk responded late Saturday via Twitter saying: “Starlink service is now active in Ukraine. More terminals en route.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/2...able-in-ukraine.html

I suspect if it were the Taiwanese making this sort of request when the CCP invades Taiwan, Elon would likely ignore it because he has a Tesla plant in mainland China.

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday put Russia's nuclear deterrent forces on high alert.

Putin said the decision was sparked by the sanctions placed by western nations.

He also blamed "senior officials of leading NATO countries" for "aggressive statements."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...r-AAUn7Ji?li=BBnb7Kz

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yawn. Blustering about nuclear "alert" is meaningless.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The Russians are apparently not too good at logistics. Many reports of abandoned equipment, tanks out of gas and so on. Also that once the head of the Russian tank column passes by, Ukrainian forces swarm the transports and APCs behind them. I've seen photos of 1/10 mile long blown up Russian convoys.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The EU has discovered it's spine ...

This is a sea change.

Way to go, Vlad. You have crafted a resurgent Wehrmacht. This certainly does little for Ukraine in its current agony, but to those who have been forecasting how Russia is changing the world order in its favor, I'm not seeing how a massive increase in German military spending, which seems to amount to a major rearmament, makes the world safer for Russian adventurism.