well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Should WTF move to a different site/platform?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should WTF move to a different site/platform?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Matt is active on FB. Anyone want to try to reach him that way? What about WTFers who are local to him?

Matt has responded to my texts consistently when I've reported forum outages. He would report the problem to the host and they were resolved. During those times we've also interacted on a very pleasant, if brief, personal level.

I alerted him to the missing icons and emoticons last year. Followed up with a reminder. He didn't acknowledge that he got my messages, but I saw him log on to WTF a couple of times shortly after that and assumed he was looking at it. Nothing got fixed, and I got no feedback or update. And because none of us is the forum owner, we can't flush those forum problems up to the host.

He was involved in Big Al's password recovery issue, a forum host software problem, so he knows it's a problem. That was several years ago and the problem still exists.

Someone else (who isn't posting these days) contacted Matt repeatedly a few years ago, suggested the possibility of someone else taking over as forum owner. No reply.

And I included him on the PM I sent when the backup forum was established in early 2022. He did not comment in the thread.

--------------------------------
When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38206 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
To write something properly or to read something properly there is no substitute for single spacing. This is the bottom line element for me.

I don't have anything else to say at the moment.

Posts: 25196 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I can’t tell if I joined the other forum or not. I tried logging in and my iPad had a password, but it doesn’t work. I tried resetting it but got no email back. Can anyone tell if I’m a member or not?( I can see the forum, but I can’t log in.)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm new to this, so please bear with me. You're my first.

jodi, I don't see you as a user on the site. And I don't see any messages in the admin panel looking for a password reset.

Here's the site. Could you try to register again?

https://wtf.coffee-room.com/

I have a friend over so it may be an hour before I can check back on the admin dashboard to authorize you. It's possible Ax may see you first and do it sooner. I'll check back here later.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38206 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Got the request and approved it. Hope you can get in.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The spam users have been vanquished. I got into a rhythm deleting the junk (four clicks for each delete and there were hundreds of the little beggars and no mass user delete function) and came close to deleting some WTFers. I'm pretty sure I didn't, but if I fat-fingered something I apologize profusely. Please try to re-register and hopefully we can get you back in.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
okay. the hassle of moving isn't worth it to me. i would prefer to just stay here. if this platform falls apart, we know how to find each other.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21536 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A note to folks about creating a user account at the test site.

Ax and I are able to approve account creation requests. Whoever sees it first will get things rolling. I'll do my best to check for pending requests throughout the day, over the next several days especially, as people may have time to check out the test site over the weekend.

Hopefully we can get your request processed promptly, but it's always possible it might take a few hours for either Ax or me to respond.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

okay. the hassle of moving isn't worth it to me. i would prefer to just stay here. if this platform falls apart, we know how to find each other.

Totally understand. And it raises an excellent point about finding each other...

The other site is still our fallback in case of a problem here. The PM and password reset functionality here is not working consistently, and of course if this forum goes down or we can't log in (both have happened in the last few years), we have no way to reach members to update them about what's going on. During past outages we've done it through back door channels like email and FB, but it's a patchwork solution that doesn't get the info to everyone. I remember chasing around trying to find jodi's email on her website to ask her to help spread the message that someone was working on the outage when the forum went dark one day a couple of years ago.

Even if you have no interest in testing the waters over at the backup site, I would encourage you to create a user account over there for emergency situations, like if this forum is down and everyone is locked out .. At least you wouldn't be left wondering what's happening. A number of people did that when it was set up in 2022.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'll take that advice and copy the address to my notes.

Thanks,Ax and wtg.

I've been able to log in here and not log in and this is just since this morning!

Well, at least the Ignore feature is working. Leaving

Posts: 25196 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

Totally understand. And it raises an excellent point about finding each other...

The other site is still our fallback in case of a problem here. The PM and password reset functionality here is not working consistently, and of course if this forum goes down or we can't log in (both have happened in the last few years), we have no way to reach members to update them about what's going on. During past outages we've done it through back door channels like email and FB, but it's a patchwork solution that doesn't get the info to everyone. I remember chasing around trying to find jodi's email on her website to ask her to help spread the message that someone was working on the outage when the forum went dark one day a couple of years ago.

Even if you have no interest in testing the waters over at the backup site, I would encourage you to create a user account over there for emergency situations, like if this forum is down and everyone is locked out .. At least you wouldn't be left wondering what's happening. A number of people did that when it was set up in 2022.

I created the FB page for us and it works fine, and is still active. I can be reached there. Or for that matter, I'm guesssing about half the members here have my telephone number and email address. And I have theirs. And anyone who doesn't--I can always be reached through the contact form at grandobsession.com. It goes straight to my email.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
wtg, you keep saying you aren't pushing this, but i am feeling railroaded on this subject.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you feel that way. It isn't my intent. I'm trying to provide information to WTFers in general.
Your post was two part, first confirming your lack of interest in moving to the other forum. Quirt suggested every member vote and your vote is not to move. I simply acknowledged that.

The second part was about people finding each other. I just riffed off of that because it made me think about times I've had to scramble to get the word out to people when there is a problem. You talked about how you are covered, but your plan isn't universal to all members here. Daniel, for instance, seemed to think the info about just registering at the backup was helpful to him. He might not have another good avenue to get notified and might opt into using this one because he'd like to be kept up to date in case of an outage.

I'm also puzzled, because you are one of the people who created a user account over there in 2022.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
There's a Facebook page?

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm also puzzled, because you are one of the people who created a user account over there in 2022.

i don't recall that. but i believe you. doesn't change anything.