well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Should WTF move to a different site/platform?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should WTF move to a different site/platform?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lol, SK! You should be an administrator there or at least a moderator.

Big Grin

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18850 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
All signed up on the new site and ready for whatever comes about. I do like the software at the new place - clean and efficient.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I've been signed up since pretty much the start over at the new place.

I don't really want to have three places to post.

It's was bad enough we let politics divide us in the first place.

I'm all for moving to the more modern forum software platform.

Posts: 13645 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Pique and Daniel, I'm sorry you're feeling railroaded.

I just don’t get why anyone would feel “railroaded”. First of all, maybe I’m underestimating wtg’s superpowers, but I sure as hell wouldn’t know how to railroad this decision. And second, assuming it’s possible, if wtg wanted to do that, wouldn’t she just have done it? Or, at least, brought it up as an idea with the other moderators? (In case that’s somehow unclear, she never suggested any such thing.). And third, if she were railroading it, and she had the power to do so, wouldn’t it be a fait accompli?

It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see wtg maligned in this way.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
You'll be waiting until hell freezes over if you think you're going to engage me in this subject again. Let it go.

Posts: 25196 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I’d offer you a similar one with respect to your views about wtg’s supposed push.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Saw a few questions come up here. Some tech notes:

No, the users and passwords from this site were not automatically transferred to WTF Beta. That's for two reasons. First, it seemed better to let people make the call themselves about registering at the other site rather than creating a user over there without their knowledge or permission. Registration is very easy. Second, we're not even sure we have access to that information in the WTF system, so it may be technically difficult or infeasible.

Registration on the other site requires admin approval. Gotta keep those spammers out! Your screen name and password can be anything you want. If you use the same screen name as here, we'll approve you right away. If you want to use something different and it's not obvious who it is, we might not approve the registration. If that happens, please try to get word to us as to who you are so you can get set up.

It would be great if we could reach out to make sure anyone registered here as a member is up to date about WTF . Problem is, the PM notification system here only functions intermittently and we would have no idea whether people actually got the message or not. This is where WTFers can help out a lot.

If you are in touch with someone whom we haven't seen here in a long time and can pass along the link to this thread and/or the other site, that would be great. That will at least give them the opportunity to provide input if they wish to do so. And if you hear back from someone and they aren't interested in continuing being part of the community (regardless of platform) and you could let us know, that would be good also. We'd at least be confident that they are up to speed.

quote:
I come here so infrequently now I almost feel like I'm not qualified to post.

Thrilled to see you back, have missed you! Looking for input from everyone in the WTF community that goes back so many years. Bring your friends, too. Big Grin

quote:
And there's no link between this page and that page, is there? As in if we post here, it's not visible there, correct?

That's correct. The two platforms are completely independent.

And good to see that the link to WTF Beta has been pinned. For future reference, the mods don't have the ability to pin threads; it has to be done by an admin.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38206 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Entirely too much drama over a simple decision.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13643 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Drama is what piano forums do best. Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I was able to sign up over there. Just haven’t posted yet.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be great if we could reach out to make sure anyone registered here as a member is up to date about WTF .

I notified the WTF in Exile FB group about this discussion. That group has many WTF members who never post here.

Personally I'd be happier going to FB full time. It's so much easier than visiting yet another site.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21536 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Drama is what piano forums do best. Big Grin

I can’t argue with that!

Big Grin

Posts: 18850 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I'd be happier going to FB full time.

FB is so full of junk these days, I post there less and less. plus I have too many work contacts on FB, so these online forums are a great respite for me!

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm not a big fan of FB either, though I'm on there. I almost never post, but will occasionally like something.

I have my profile locked down a bit, but I've been seriously thinking of just inactivating it. I really dislike how every time they do anything to it, they don't honor my default settings (like don't autoplay videos). I'm also getting a TON of spam from LinkedIn - only to discover that they also changed settings without informing us. That really annoys me because I'm getting spam on my work email, based on my job title.

So it seems like the plan is to have logins on both (or all three) fora - WTF, WTF-Beta and WTF in Exile, and see which one "wins"? While I can understand everyone's antipathy to picking a single forum, I think we will lose participants because they're just not willing to pay attention to three sites.

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I can understand everyone's antipathy to picking a single forum, I think we will lose participants because they're just not willing to pay attention to three sites.

Yes, this is a concern.

I think it makes sense to treat WTF In Exile (the Facebook group) separately. Not everyone is on FB, and it’s not anonymous. And it has never really been used regularly for posting, more like an emergency back up.

So that leaves WTF and WTF-Beta. And WTF is limping along, half broken and hard to use. OTOH WTF-Beta is shiny and new, works amazingly well and is easy to use. Just the ease of posting and sharing photos etc. makes it worth moving IMO.

But back to your point, I agree that we will be better off with a single forum, but it needs to be one that’s fully functioning. So while I don’t want anyone to feel abandoned if we move to the new site, I really think moving is in the best interests of the community.