well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    April 8 - save the date
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April 8 - save the date
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Millions of people will be able to don protective glasses and view a spectacular total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024, starting around 1 p.m. CT.

If this sounds familiar, it's because in 2017, a 70-mile-wide band of the US saw a total solar eclipse, while many other areas saw a partial eclipse. People drove across states and gathered near planetariums just to see those fleeting minutes when, in the middle of the day, the sky went dark.

But the total eclipse coming in April will be even cooler, excited NASA scientists told reporters at an American Geophysical Union meeting.

quote:
Dallas, Cleveland, and Indianapolis are all positioned for prime total eclipse viewing.

https://www.businessinsider.co...iano-recommendations

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37849 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We drove an hour to be in the path of totality in 2017, and it was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.

If this is possible for you, don’t miss it!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9795 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
And make sure you have proper eclipse-watching protective eye ware. Smiler
Thanks for the heads up, wtg.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Several local towns are making a big deal out of this with festivals, outdoor concerts, parades and such.

Sounds like fun!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34883 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Whether we've moved or are still in Oklahoma, we'll be within driving distance of totality. I'm not sure how enthusiastic Quirt is about seeing it, but I'm dragging him.

My students already know I've canceled class so they can go.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15507 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Whether we've moved or are still in Oklahoma, we'll be within driving distance of totality. I'm not sure how enthusiastic Quirt is about seeing it, but I'm dragging him.

My students already know I've canceled class so they can go.

It’s definitely worth it to experience this. Tell Quirt I said so!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9795 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I saved my glasses from the last one so we could watch this one! I thought about hosting an event at school but then realized that, very selfishly, I wanted to make sure I could actually watch it and not be busy.

Here’s my kiddo during the last (not quite total) solar eclipse here back in 2017.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4090 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have a room reserved for the event in Missouri in the totality zone.
Will combine that with a nearby business.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't see the piano party at Steve's listed...must be an oversight... Big Grin

https://www.chicagotribune.com...ipse-in-the-midwest/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37849 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
For umbraphiles...Delta offering an Austin to Detroit path-of-totality flight.

https://news.delta.com/eclipse...path-totality-flight

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Scheduled to stay with family in Bloomington, IN for the festivities!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7550 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Erie, PA is due north of us, about 1-1/2 hours away, and smack in the middle of the path of totality. Cleveland is not too much further. I really hope to see this one; I'll be 98 when the next one comes to North America.

I was in Savannah, GA for the last North American solar eclipse (also my youngest son's wedding). It was a partial eclipse there.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7396 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You'll have lots of company in Erie if you head that way.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsb...se-tourism-industry/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Someone booked the Edgewater house early last year before we knew what was happening. The usual price - like $400/night.

Our Prop Management company just booked the Huron house for that weekend - $8K!

We’ll watch from our backyard. I’ll be smoking ribs.

Posts: 34883 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
Erie, PA is due north of us, about 1-1/2 hours away, and smack in the middle of the path of totality. Cleveland is not too much further. I really hope to see this one; I'll be 98 when the next one comes to North America.

I was in Savannah, GA for the last North American solar eclipse (also my youngest son's wedding). It was a partial eclipse there.

Big Al

Ya’ll should come visit us, Al. We’re in the path and will be hosting a backyard thing.

Two dogs, no waiting!