well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    April 8 - save the date
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

April 8 - save the date
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The clouds stayed away and we had totality.

Same here. It was absolutely amazing.

Here's what I wrote immediately after totality:

Totality came and went.
And took my breath with it.

We were in the path of totality and we were going outside off and on once it started. About 20 minutes before totality we stayed outside and got to see the moment it went total and watched it until it slipped back to partial.

The aura when it’s totally eclipsed is just beyond amazing. It truly did take my breath away. We were in our backyard and so we could hear neighbors cheer at the moment of totality, but I felt a catch in my throat and it was all I could do to to hold back my tears.

This is actually the second time I've experienced a total eclipse as an adult, because I saw the one in 2017 as well.

So I knew it was going to be amazing. But knowing that, and having seen it once, didn't make it any less amazing. It was just awe-inspiring.

I am so grateful that we got to see it again, and that the weather cooperated.

I love the moment when it got dark as night, but the sun's aura (corona?) is there, just stunning. I don't have the words to describe it.

Ok, I'm taking my sick self to bed! :/

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18795 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Eclipse 2024 Animation
89.1% Partial Eclipse. Decided to stay home this time.
Canon 50D on a fixed tripod w/18-200mm Zoom at 200mm f5.6 1/1600 sec exposures, ISO 100. Baader Planitarium Solar Film Filter.
271 photos aligned, registered and output to avi movie format using PIPP (Planetary Imaging Pre-Processor)
It's not perfect, but it's still pretty cool.

Posts: 13645 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Went out and saw our 90%. It’s amazing, the sun is so powerful that it didn’t dim the surroundings much at all. Like 5:30 pm sun instead of 3:30.

It was awesome to have the privilege of seeing the eclipse.

They showed pictures on TV of downtown Buffalo at totality. It was total darkness!

We were at 100% totality in Arkansas, and it wasn’t dead of night dark. It was like dusk. The lights in the parking lot at the state park we were at kept going on and off, like they couldn’t make up their minds.

Posts: 45811 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
The bats are out in Arkansas....

We saw no bats in Arkansas.

Phil the Vizsla went a bit nuts, but that is mostly par for the course for him. The other dogs at the park were not perceptibly different in behavior from pre-eclipse.

Posts: 45811 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thales and the eclipse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/0...placement=newsletter

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38174 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
The eclipse from space.

Posts: 13645 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
markj - love your work! Thanks for sharing it here...

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38174 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Mark.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7461 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Recycling eclipse glasses.

https://www.shawlocal.com/news...-eclipse-eye-damage/