well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Condo building collapse in Miami
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Condo building collapse in Miami
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Officials say they fear there will be many casualties after a portion of the Champlain Towers South building “pancaked” when it collapsed early Thursday morning.

A Miami-Dade firefighter told Local 10 News reporter Liane Morejon that a part of the building collapsed in a similar way to a bridge collapse, where it’s flat.

He said there are therefore no pockets that crews have been able to find for people to possibly be trapped in.

He said search and rescue dogs have yet to alert crews to any bodies, but as the day goes by and deceased body chemistry changes, he believes the dogs will start to alert to people.

Surfside Mayor Charles W. Burkett said the other two-thirds of the building could collapse, as well, so there is a continuing danger for crews at the scene near 88th Street and Collins Avenue.

A hotel next door, the Bluegreen Vacations Solara Surfside resort, was also evacuated because it’s too close to the condominium building.

Although Burkett confirmed that roof work was being done at the condo building, he said there was no reason for the building to go down like that unless there was a sinkhole or someone pulled the supports out of the building.

Former Surfside Vice Mayor Barry Cohen, however, said he believed the roof work and other factors, like a new high rise being constructed next door, may have compromised the integrity of the building.

https://www.local10.com/news/l...ked-during-collapse/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38021 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Tragic.

I wonder if they'll ever figure out why it happened. Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35009 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if they'll ever figure out why it happened.

I was wondering that as well....

I saw a few photos and one video, it's horrifying to see. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18615 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Miami has been dealing with rising sea levels; one has to wonder if the soils below are being affected and compromising the structural integrity of foundations.

Coverage in Jerusalem Post; apparently the collapsed building is located in a Jewish neighborhood in Miami.

https://www.jpost.com/breaking...ding-collapse-671890

I'm struck by how small our world is in many respects, and how quickly news travels around the world....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38021 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think that once they clear away the rubble and get some experts in there, they’ll be able to figure out what happened.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13835 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Armchair engineering here.

Take a look at this picture.

The video shows the center of the building collapsing first, followed by the section on the right side. Look at the difference in the picture - the center section pulled away cleanly while the section on the right looks more like what you'd expect to see.

I don't know that it's significant, but it's clear there were two methods of construction used and there's a good chance one of them didn't work.

Posts: 35009 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That's horrible. I hope they get to the root cause so they can start mitigating the issue for other buildings.

quote:
Although Burkett confirmed that roof work was being done at the condo building, he said there was no reason for the building to go down like that unless there was a sinkhole or someone pulled the supports out of the building.

Is he implying deliberate sabotage? or stupidity? How could someone "pull the supports out of the building"?

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh noooo. This article says the condo had been sinking since the 1990s and it was known to be unstable a year ago! Bang Head

Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18615 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They've pulled 35 37 people out.

quote:
Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said there are 102 people who have been accounted for following the partial collapse of a building in Surfside.

"I want to give you a top number, very encouraging, 102 people have been accounted for. That's double what we were able to report last time," Levine Cava said at a news conference this afternoon. "One hundred and two people from the towers, their locations are known and they are safe.

The mayor said there are still at least 99 people who are unaccounted for following the building collapse.

quote:
State Fire Marshal Jimmy Patronis tells CNN that tactical units working the collapsed building heard sounds from the rubble earlier today as they did search and rescue efforts.

Patronis said that rescuers heard an individual earlier today in the parking garage area that they are having difficulty getting to.

“The rescuers are hearing sounds from the rubble,” he said. “It’s kind of hit or miss. You get into the zone where you are so passionate and so focused and so determined to make sure you are doing everything possible to save a life in an event like this.”
Patronis described what search and rescue units are experiencing in the building.

“It’s like going to the gym but it’s not air conditioned, trying to remove rubble but at the same time fearful that the debris around you could come down on you. There’s flooding, there’s fuel, there’s unstable ground, in addition, the challenge of the urgency of saving lives,” he said.

Patronis said that this remains an active rescue mission as they determine how much further they can go safely into the building.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-ne...-06-24-21/index.html

And it was also reported that some cracks in the pool were observed last week....

Correction:

quote:
Barry Cohen, 63, said he and his wife were asleep in the building when he first heard what he thought was a crack of lightning. The couple went onto their balcony, then opened the door to the building’s hallway to find “a pile of rubble and dust and smoke billowing around.”

“I couldn’t walk out past my doorway,” said Cohen, the former vice mayor of Surfside. “A gaping hole of rubble.”

He and his wife eventually made it to the basement and found rising water there. They returned upstairs, screamed for help and were eventually brought to safety by firefighters using a cherry-picker.

Cohen said he raised concerns years ago about whether nearby construction might be causing damage to the building after seeing cracked pavers on the pool deck.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Someone's going to pay dearly for this deferred maintenance. It sounds criminal to me.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Someone's going to pay dearly for this deferred maintenance. It sounds criminal to me.

Good luck figuring out who owns it. If they're actual condos it's the HOA's problem - and HOAs don't generally have any money. With any luck they'll have at least some insurance.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
That someone is likely a corporation that can declare bankruptcy and surface with a new name.

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Philly had a building collapse a few years ago (slightly different circumstance, as contractors were building a building next door and the under-construction building collapsed onto an occupied building and killed a bunch of people.) I believe they went after the general contractor and subs who were doing the construction and also the city inspectors (the actual inspector who last looked at the building ended up killing himself even though I really don't think he was at fault - it was a super sad story).

Anyway, if the building was known to be unsafe for years but the city of Miami didn't condemn it, I would think they would have some kind of liability, no?

Posts: 4411 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Mayor just said 159 unaccounted for.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33808 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Anyway, if the building was known to be unsafe for years but the city of Miami didn't condemn it, I would think they would have some kind of liability, no?

That's not usually the case, unfortunately.