well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zorba:
First time I've seen a piano with a false front:

Maybe it's a combo piano/church pew you play with your ass? Hat

--------------------------------
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
It looks like maybe the "false front" lays down as a cover when you're not playing it?

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zorba:
It looks like maybe the "false front" lays down as a cover when you're not playing it?

Judging from that groove in the cheek, I'd guess it must slide down so that the music desk becomes the key cover, probably with a narrow strip hinged to join the keyslip to cover the key fronts. That would give it a kind of sleek look all closed up with that lid perfectly following the lines of the cheeks to the top, with all of it fitting flush.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
1911 Ivers & Pond, very pretty:

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
And a '96 Bechstein (not 1996!):

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Gadfly
posted Hide Post
Spectacular August Förster 190 with inlays, pics I took on saturday at Altenburgs in NJ. THis is a one of a kind veneer job done for the Frankfurt show this year, Fred bought it after the show.

www.cjquinn.com
-------------------------
August Förster 190

Posts: 4676 | Location: Brooklyn, Earth | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
posted Hide Post
August Förster vertical from behind. This is how they finish the hidden part.

www.cjquinn.com
August Förster 190

Posts: 4676 | Location: Brooklyn, Earth | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
WOW!

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SusieQ
posted Hide Post
Does the August Forester grand play as beautiful as it looks? That is one very beautiful piano.

Posts: 17 | Location: Bellevue, Washington | Registered: 04 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Revenant
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Frycek
posted Hide Post
I'm really impressed with the way that BACK is finished. That's really painstaking.

Posts: 6034 | Location: SC Mountains | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SusieQ:
Does the August Forester grand play as beautiful as it looks? That is one very beautiful piano.

Yes, they are incredible pianos.

www.cjquinn.com
August Förster 190

Investment-grade Member
Picture of Ill-Tempered Forum
posted Hide Post
Christopher's pictures of the August Förster upright's back gave me an idea.

Would some one please post pictures of a Schulze-Pollman upright's back? It has a rather unique construction in that the back posts are actually part of the back frame and the whole thing is made out of many layered plywood (much like pin block).

The AF upright's back, while beautifully finished with a rather thick coat of lacquer, really is not that unusual in construction.

The Schulze-Pollman, the X-backed (or, rather, the '*'-backed) Yamahas, and the Petrofs (no backpost!) are more unique in construction, IMHO.

But, returning to the AF upright, the short wooden bars that you see screwed between the soundboard ribs are special. The bridges are probably screwed to these short bars as well as the ribs.

And, about that stunningly inlayed AF grand, how much would it sell for?

Respect my authorata!

Posts: 512 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
posted Hide Post
I never saw the back of an S-P, but the big Grotrian Verticale (best vertical I ever played) have something similar to what you are describing.

The fancy AF is about 5-6k above the normal 190. Not bad for a such a unique piano, it is one of a kind I believe.

The short wooden bars are called "counter bridges" or so I was told.

www.cjquinn.com
August Förster 190

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ill-Tempered Forum:
...But, returning to the AF upright, the short wooden bars that you see screwed between the soundboard ribs are special. The bridges are probably screwed to these short bars as well as the ribs...

Those were the thing that caught my eye. At first, their placement and fit looked a bit haphazzard to me. I realize the ends must probably avoid touching the ribs, leaving that gap, to allow for expansion and contraction with temp and humidity. But their meandering pattern made me wonder what the bridge looks like.

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Have we seen this one?

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post