well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Another Erard:

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Early 19th century piano made by Francoise Soufleto. check out the way the case opens:

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Wow, another one that opens like that. A French Reintjes:

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
A "cabinet" piano, attributed to Clementi:

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
An inside view of a cabinet. How about the length of those stickers!

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
A Rippen art case:

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
I don't believe we've seen this one before:

Upright piano by Decker Brothers, New York, ca. 1895. Serial number 25089. Paul von Jankó experimental 6-6 keyboard with 264 keys. Serial no. 25089. AAA-c5 (7+ octaves). Two pedals: half blow, dampers. Decker Brothers introduced Jankó keyboards into their pianos in 1891.

The modern science of ergonomics developed out of the military need to improve the safety of equipment during and after World War II. The word, ergonomics, was coined in 1949 by K. F. H. Murrell, a pioneering British researcher in the field. Although many musical instrument makers have attempted to "reform" traditional instruments during the last three centuries, most of the changes were intended to alter or improve the sound or to introduce novel construction materials, rather than to make musical instruments less strenuous to play.

One early exception was an invention by Paul von Jankó, a Hungarian mathematician, engineer, and musician, who developed a piano keyboard in 1882 that reduced the hand stretches required of the player, making it easier to play in all keys. The keyboard was also stepped down toward the player, as is the modern computer keyboard, to produce "less exertion than ordinary pianos." As stated in Jankó's 1887 U.S. patent, "The strong muscles of the arm are utilized to the best advantage . . . in an easy and convenient position." However, the design failed to gain acceptance, pianists being hesitant to learn a new system.

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
A pine case:

rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post

One that has seen better days...

Posts: 986 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post

From the French: (using the somewhat dubious Google Translater)
-------
I get a moment this photo of the friend Eddy. It was the afternoon of the day I played my little Scarlatti, beginning in July, the keyboard was dry and I had taken a huge foot (but the hands were not available) to repeat on this beautiful Pleyel, for an audience of cicadas perfectly indifferent (repeated themselves - something the U.S. no doubt, minimalist and a bit boring). You will notice that the owner of the instrument was somewhat customized, it is not very nice (but very practical), and the feeling of being in command of a powerful race car (it does is unclear, but the metal side bars make the seat attached to the piano) not unpleasant, paradoxically, for a bagnolophobe like me (I can not drive (I was told that in some exalted moments piano progressed, I 'I felt nothing)).

Posts: 986 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OperaTenor:
We haven't posted one for Zorba lately:

Yep, definitely my kind of pie-anna!

--------------------------------
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Becroft:

A Monarch Butterfly! by Wurlitzer

I would *love* to have one of these!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Hey Zorba! Welcome back. You been lurking?

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
HA! I knew I could lure him out....

Evil

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post