well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post

For me the Ultimate piano - without pianist, NOT an option, it is a Graf fortepiano. That's it for now, bye

Posts: 986 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
WoW Brian, you have hit the jackpot! Love all the pics!

(I think that is Frycek isn't it?)

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
lilylady, that painting, that is a real stunner, just imagine the reality of it - it used to happen - Liszt and friends, including Paganini! What was it about those times that inspired that music? Rather than be the back of a 3000 seater hall one can be swooned by this kind of concert. Pity there are not more just like this:-) I wish the ethos of our times was so different....

Actually I just found this site that describes the detail:
http://www.mozartpiano.com/articles/liszt.php

Posts: 986 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Becroft:

The caption says "A grand piano sound board outside the Steinway Haus in Berlin." But that looks like a frame - no?

The plate, actually, if you want to get technical. Perhaps a mistranslation in the caption?

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks like a piano, but... I've often thought I'd love to have an ordinary piano but inside the strings are replaced with tuning forks, I suspect this is a version of that.

I think this is the innards of an electric or electronic piano.

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post

Better View of the 5.7m Adrian Mann piano in New Zealand. Called the Alexander piano it weighs about 1.2 tons. Page here www.youtube.com/thealexanderpiano

Would-be Sage
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OperaTenor:
quote:

Looks like a piano, but... I've often thought I'd love to have an ordinary piano but inside the strings are replaced with tuning forks, I suspect this is a version of that.

I think this is the innards of an electric or electronic piano.

It's a Rhodes electric piano, or at least, part of one. Looks like some's been playing with the weight of the action - note the grey thingys just inside the pivot point on the keys. That's definately not a stock item.

A cynic - knows the price of everything and the value of nothing - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 648 | Location: NL, Canada | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would-be Sage
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess if you were tuning this instrument, it would be safe to say it's definately not flat!

A cynic - knows the price of everything and the value of nothing - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 648 | Location: NL, Canada | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
It is a Rhodes Piano, it is essientially a tuning fork piano, indeed the sound is similar to a tuninging fork, the metal bars vibrate and are electrically amplified, I am just imagining lifting the lid of an acoustic piano and seeing no strings but instead a long row of tuning forks instead. I'd like that. I wonder if any one has a picture to post of a piano like this... Also since this interests me does anyone have pictures to post of acoustic pianos that have non-string innovations? I read that one experiment was a piano with no strings but a system of springs instead. Many Thanks for any posts

rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have pictures to post of pianos on ships, especially the older special design pianos and also anyone with pics of the pianos in the Zepplin airships?

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have pictures to post of pianos on ships, especially the older special design pianos and also anyone with pics of the pianos in the Zepplin airships?

Oooh, there are some posted back in the annals of this thread, but it's probably easier to repost them than to find them.

rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post

Steingraeber-Phoenix
IMO the most amazing piano in the world due to technical innovations: carbon fibre soundboard, zero down-bearing and bridge agraffes. No bridge pins, huge down-bearing causing soundboard crown loss, eventual ruination of the piano sound completely gone, not to mention double-blow-in-one soft pedal for reliably playing the piano to pppp but power to rival any currently available instrument by a country mile. This is the future...

rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
This photo of Phoenix showing bridge agraffes and also the adjustable hitch-pins

rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post

Steingraeber A-170 Piano showing the new Carbon Fibre Soundboard and adjustable hitchpins.

rachmad
Never Offline
posted Hide Post

Piano with no Soundboard - the Neo Bechstein electric Grand Piano from the 1930 era - notice how the strings are bunched together for the pickups. It features 18 humbucker pickups, each covering 5 strings. Much like an electric guitar its acoustic sound is very soft due to the missing resonance board.