well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It's a veneer matching technique:

"Book Matching is the most commonly used match in the industry. Every other leaf is turned over as it is placed next to its mate. That is, every pair of leaves is opened like a book. When the figure is prominent, a repeating, symmetrical pattern is created. When the veneer is sliced a distortion of the grain occurs. The knife blade as it hits the wood creates a "loose" side where the cells have been opened up by the blade, and a "tight" side. Because the "tight" and "loose" faces alternate in adjacent pieces of veneer, they may accept stain differently, and this may result in a noticeable color variation called barber poling. This can be minimized, although not always eliminated, with good finishing techniques."

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7586 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
What is "matchbooking"?

It's taking two pieces of adjacent veneer and matching them against each other, to give the impression of a mirror image. I think it's also referred to as butterfly veneer:

See how there is a symmetrical mirror image of the grain pattern?

[edit] Ron beat me to it, and his explanation is better.

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 13645 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Something else to do with an old, dead upright:

According to its creator, the Music Machine is an incredible addition to any living room, den, apartment, or studio.

The bizarre hybrid is a full digital recording studio built into a beautiful piano cabinet. It is based on a Mac Mini with a Lexicon Omega audio interface that is set up with 2 instrument inputs, one built-in studio-quality microphone, and an additional microphone jack. The piano keys have been replaced by a Studiologic 88 key MIDI controller which acts as piano, drum machine, and music interface.

The Music Machine is capable of multi-track recording and playback, music editing and sampling, demo production, karaoke, and is a full computer able to do anything a regular mac can do including DVD playback, web surfing, word processing, etc. There is a memory card reader built in to the front for inserting media as well as a 4-port USB 2.0 hub to plug in an external hard drive or an ipod. Musicians can sit down, record a single track, multiple tracks or a whole song, plug in their ipod and take it home or burn it right to a demo CD!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7586 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

bigger picture at
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05092/481890.stm

Photo by Bill Wade
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Passersby may have thought they were halucinating yesterday, but the scene below them on the Allegheny River was actually the portrayal of a dream.

Artist Michael Pestel performed improvisational tunes while seated at a baby grand piano, floating on a section of a dock going down the back channel of the Allegheny River near Washington's Landing. The performance art, which lasted about an hour, was videotaped by Andrew Johnson, at center in the photo, and others for showing during an exhibition that will open Friday at Chatham College, where Pestel is an assocate professor.

During the performance, Johnson will collaborate with West Virginia professor Paul Krainak in a piece inspired by Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer and composer Heitor Villa-Lobos. The river scene portrayed yesterday is part of a dream by Villa-Lobos, where he is floating down a river playing a piano when it catches fire.

The scene was executed with help from Mike Lambert, far left, of Three Rivers Rowing, who, with help from Eric Lipsky, pushed the dock with a boat.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
ABP (Already Been Posted):

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
VERY old...

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Revenant
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Frycek
posted Hide Post

Vintage Barbie with Piano $500

Posts: 6034 | Location: SC Mountains | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Here's a busy little corner...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... two pianos - must be Kenny's last piano party! (Isn't that him in front?)

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Revenant
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Frycek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Here's a busy little corner...

Antique samovars? Where did you find this?

Posts: 6034 | Location: SC Mountains | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
being a google junkie, I just typed petite piano and found this french site:

http://www.linternaute.com/femmes/decoration/maison/06/evelyne/musique-xl

(I had to look up samovars....)

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Forum Groupie
Picture of CTPianotech
posted Hide Post
don't recall if I've posted this here before...

Posts: 825 | Location: CT | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Nice rig!

.... and here's a new pinblock, after drilling.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com