well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
Whurley sure wasn't afraid to play with packaging! They made some very innovative designs - some of which have worn better than others.

--------------------------------
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
My (achievable) dream piano:

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
Grand by the same manufacturer. Sorry about the bad image - they're almost impossible to find!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Charles Walter?

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
My (achievable) dream piano:

I think I may have tuned that one...

I traded some tunings with Andrew when he hurt his shoulder.... he sent me some clients, and I did some in-store stuff for him.

Astin Weight piano, by the way.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
This might be a tough one to tune...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Astin Weight piano, by the way.

I figured this wouldn't get past Ron!

What's your opinion of the Astin?

And just exactly *what* is that double stacked A.F. Grand? Any idea how the 4 keyboards are hooked up? Is the upper one tuned higher or something?

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the Astin being anything remarkable... but I was in "grunt tuning" mode...

The double-stack piano is a quarter-tone instrument. Not sure what part of the action connects to what!!!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:
The double-stack piano is a quarter-tone instrument. Not sure what part of the action connects to what!!!

Here, regulate THIS! Eeker Big Grin

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
An early Fender Rhodes:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

NMM 10298. Grand piano by Nannette Streicher und Sohn, Vienna, 1829. This immaculately preserved grand piano represents a glorious moment in the history of instrument making. When J. A. Stein died in 1792, his workshop was kept in operation by his daughter, Nannette (1769-1833), and her brother, Matthäus Andreas (1776-1842), known as André. In 1794 the siblings moved the business from provincial Augsburg to Vienna, where they worked together until 1802, when André set up his own workshop. Nannette, who in the meantime had married the pianist and composer, J. A. Streicher, is an extremely rare historical instance of a woman visibly in charge of a major business. Moreover, it is virtually certain that her role was not confined to the front office. She was actively engaged in the design and musical finishing of the instruments bearing her name.

A radically redesigned new model with a downstriking action, of which the Museum's example is one of the earliest in existence and undoubtedly the best preserved, it was patented in 1823 by Johann Baptist Streicher (1796-1871), Nannette's son, the same year that he joined the firm as a partner. The Streichers maintained a long and cordial association with Beethoven, and the downstriking model, expensive to produce, was the top of their line.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
quote:

Zorba likes! What is it?

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
1918 Hobart M. Cable

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Duke Ellington's piano?...

But it doesn't look like this authentic one with George Shearing... A Steinway.

so I'm not sure what it really is!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner back in September:
Grand piano by Nannette Streicher und Sohn, Vienna, 1829. This immaculately preserved grand piano represents a glorious moment in the history of instrument making. When J. A. Stein died in 1792, his workshop was kept in operation by his daughter, Nannette (1769-1833), and her brother, Matthäus Andreas (1776-1842), known as André. In 1794 the siblings moved the business from provincial Augsburg to Vienna, where they worked together until 1802, when André set up his own workshop. Nannette, who in the meantime had married the pianist and composer, J. A. Streicher, is an extremely rare historical instance of a woman visibly in charge of a major business. Moreover, it is virtually certain that her role was not confined to the front office. She was actively engaged in the design and musical finishing of the instruments bearing her name.

A radically redesigned new model with a downstriking action, of which the Museum's example is one of the earliest in existence and undoubtedly the best preserved, it was patented in 1823 by Johann Baptist Streicher (1796-1871), Nannette's son, the same year that he joined the firm as a partner. The Streichers maintained a long and cordial association with Beethoven, and the downstriking model, expensive to produce, was the top of their line.

quote:
Originally posted by rontuner today:

NMM 10298. Grand piano by Nannette Streicher und Sohn, Vienna, 1829. This immaculately preserved grand piano represents a glorious moment in the history of instrument making. When J. A. Stein died in 1792, his workshop was kept in operation by his daughter, Nannette (1769-1833), and her brother, Matthäus Andreas (1776-1842), known as André. In 1794 the siblings moved the business from provincial Augsburg to Vienna, where they worked together until 1802, when André set up his own workshop. Nannette, who in the meantime had married the pianist and composer, J. A. Streicher, is an extremely rare historical instance of a woman visibly in charge of a major business. Moreover, it is virtually certain that her role was not confined to the front office. She was actively engaged in the design and musical finishing of the instruments bearing her name.

Ron, but you repeat yourself.

Ron, but you repeat yourself.

Neener

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post