well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    The WTF Losers
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 53
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The WTF Losers
 Login/Join

Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some of what she says agrees with Atkins. In a nut shell - what are the major differences?

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for Atkins having never done or studied it. She never mentions it by name but she does say that erring on the side of too few carbs can be just as damaging as going in the opposite direction. Her healing diet is probably quite Atkins-like, but she does prescribe a small amount of carbs - i.e. whole grains and fruits; e.g. 1/2 slice of whole grain toast in the morning with your eggs. She also emphasizes having vegetables with every meal - including breakfast. One of the keys is a good balance of protein, fat and vegetables/fruits at each and every meal. Also, not skipping meals and having snacks between meals if you're hungry.

It's really hard to put in a nut shell because she approaches it very scientifically with nauseating detail of how it all effects the metabolic processes, complete with diagrams. Bear in mind that she is an endocronologist, so she knows her stuff.

I just came back from the clinic, where I sprung for the 2nd book. The first focuses a lot on the healing diet, which again, is more extreme than what she advocates one should adopt for life. At this point, having done that for a month, I'm interested to learn about what she calls the "transition".

It sounds like a lot of what you're doing does fit with her recommendations, except perhaps for the fat part. But, I think anyone would benefit from reading the book, if for no other reason than to gain a really in depth understanding of how eating affects metabolism and our overall health.

To me the amazing thing is, I'm 10 pounds lighter, really enjoying all the food I eat, eating probably more than I was eating previously and experiencing very few cravings (I did really, really want a sweetened blueberry bar at the health food store the other day Frowner ) ).

In retrospect, although I wasn't eating too many bad things previously, I now know that I was undereating. I continued to complain about how little I was eating, yet how impossible it was to lose weight. I was basically malnourished, as my blood iron level indicated. I am going to have my cholesterol level rechecked in a month just to see how all the fats have affected it (my idea, not theirs) and I will be interested to see if the iron has corrected itself as well.

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathy. I think I'll order the book. I'm maintaining my weight loss, but am always interested in learning the best ways of doing things.

Just ordered both off Amazon for $15 including shipping!

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
What a deal. I think I paid more than that today for just the 2nd one.

Posts: 11691 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
The Principle was $1.93(Used in good condition) of Amazon, and the Principle II was $6.36. Such a deal. I buy used books all the time.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
OK, I just wanted to say...

It was ALL WATER!!!! Forty pounds of it!!!! I am back in my jeans!!! Woot (albeit now I have a jiggly mass of loose skin around my mid-section!)

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:

It was ALL WATER!!!! Forty pounds of it!!!! I am back in my jeans!!! Woot (albeit now I have a jiggly mass of loose skin around my mid-section!)

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

And you say that with a straight face.

Just remember, we'll rat you out to your daughter for this someday.

For her own good, of course...

Neener

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
Geezum, Elena. Are you trying to make us *all* look bad?

Forum Frequenter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:

Elena
www.duoscarbo.com

ooooooo... congratulations, Elena !! That must feel great Smiler.

Posts: 321 | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
Weighed myself for the first time in about a month. Down another five pounds. I've shed 15 so far (12 of which were solely due to the Schwarzenbein diet. I'm back to being a very comfortable size 8, straddling 6. My goal is to be comfortably size 6.

I'm eating 3 hardy meals a day with snacks, loving the food I eat, not feeling hungry or deprived, eating considerably more than I had in the past, and continuing to lose the stubborn fat I've been unable to shed when I felt like I couldn't possibly cut back any more on my food intake. Oh - and I'm sleeping well and feel much healthier and more energetic than I have for years.

Sugar, white flour, hydrogendated oil and processed foods are evil - or at least poison. They truly are.

Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
That's great KathyK. I too am eating more than I was and losing. Also sleeping well for the first time in ages. I think in my case, it is a combination of the eating and the thyroid meds. I wake up once a night to go (ahem) and go right back to sleep. I'm not counting anything, not carbs, not cals, just eating the way Schwarzbein recommends. Now if I could just get Mr. Teachum off the sugar. Roll Eyes

Oh - I am even drinking decaf coffee - totally. That's a biggy for me! I do still have an occasional cup of Chai tea.

Minor Deity
Picture of kathyk
posted Hide Post
Good for you Teach. I'm glad the thyroid meds are helping you. It's amazing the impact that this simple alteration in diet can have. Aside from the weight loss, the overall sense of well being is astonishing.

Here's the real proof in the pudding for me. I have had a very weak immune system for years - the first person to pick up a bug and the last one to get over it. JF has been pretty much the opposite - rarely gets sick, and when he does, it's usually short-lived. This fall,Puffin brought home some plague from school - sore throat, horrible congestion in the nose and then moving to the chest. JF got it and was sicker than he's been for ages. I sailed right through it.

I'm off the coffee too, and really enjoying my green or white tea in the morning and variety of herbal teas in the afternoon. I've hit on ginger root tea which really calms my stomach when I'm knotted.

In short, I'm actually really enjoying the change in diet. That's the coolest part.

Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
I'm crossing my fingers on the immune system issue. As you can imagine, I am exposed to everything under the sun. The last several years, it just seems like my system doesn't even try to fight it off. I've used Airborne off and on and managed to fight of some things with zinc swabs, but when I get a cold, it's wicked. So, lots of stuff has already been going around, but so far so good. Keeping them crossed!

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
It's not gonna last, but I finally made it to 91...Whoo hooo!!!!

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
It's not gonna last, but I finally made it to 91...Whoo hooo!!!!

Congrats! I'd ask how you did it, but I'm afraid it might involve eating less, or exercising.

[hovering at 99]

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post