well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
How would one go about finding a high school kid to hire?

Ask SM Sr to talk to some of the Police Explorers he works with to find out if they know anyone.

Posts: 20891 | Registered: 23 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Elena gives great advice. A lot of women (and me, too until I wised up) want things done exactly the way they would do it themselves. So you end up criticizing your assistant for really stupid stuff (like they fold pants weird, or they dress your kid funny Big Grin). This leaves your assistant fuming, and for good reason.

When I got sick of being told I folded the towels the wrong way or I should not wash dishes the way I chose to or at a time which did not suit her, I simply informed my wife it was a waste of my time to do it and she was more than welcome to do it her way when she chose to do it so that it would always be done correctly.

I never heard another complaint.

Posts: 20891 | Registered: 23 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Hang in there. The prima donnas you have to deal with will reap bad karma.

Maybe we need a piano party in your town. The WTF gang would love your cooking.

If only we had a piano...we're getting a keyboard as a family gift for Christmas Big Grin. We'd gladly host a gathering if anyone wanted to come. I'll take any excuse to bake up a storm. Big Grin

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Perhaps he's yelling at you because he sees potential and he wants to drive you to be your best.

Sick, I know, but that's the way it works in some fields.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Piano Again
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Zimmer:
quote:
Elena gives great advice. A lot of women (and me, too until I wised up) want things done exactly the way they would do it themselves. So you end up criticizing your assistant for really stupid stuff (like they fold pants weird, or they dress your kid funny Big Grin). This leaves your assistant fuming, and for good reason.

When I got sick of being told I folded the towels the wrong way or I should not wash dishes the way I chose to or at a time which did not suit her, I simply informed my wife it was a waste of my time to do it and she was more than welcome to do it her way when she chose to do it so that it would always be done correctly.

I never heard another complaint.

The tried and true male ploy to get out of doing housework. Big Grin

Posts: 3833 | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Perhaps he's yelling at you because he sees potential and he wants to drive you to be your best.

Sick, I know, but that's the way it works in some fields.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I hope so. But I'm one of the few that he yells at more than twice a class so I dunno. He makes me nervous. Thankfully it's only a Mon-Thursday class so after today I'm free for 3 days! But I'll spent those 3 days getting ready for our practical exam on Tuesday and written exam on Wednesday!

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
Yelling is so unbecoming to a teacher. Perhaps he should have been a swimming coach.

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
A few pictures!

My butchered baguette (but they are supposed to be that dark!):

SM enjoying said baguette:

Green blueberry muffins with strusel:

Chocolate chip cookies!

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Look--his hair's getting long enough to get messy!

I do not believe SM cares that the slashes in your bread may not be exactly where that doofus extremely talented chef says they should be.

Your posts are reminding me of my time in organic lab, when I was just your age. I am very good in the book-learning, pencil-and-paper part of science. In the laboratory, I am an utter dolt. If there is a way to mis-measure something or to add the reagents in the wrong order, then I can find it. I spent every Monday and Wednesday with a stomachache, dreading the four-hour tragedy that would be the next day's laboratory experience.

I can completely relate to how you felt when the doofus chef praised your biscuits, because our second lab project was manufacturing methyl orange. I completely fouled up my first attempt, but I produced a goodly flaskful on my second try. The borderline-Asberger's professor looked shocked as he praised it.

The only up-side to organic lab was the fact that we dissolved everything in ether. After four hours of breathing those fumes, I left the lab high as a kite, every time. My feet hardly touched the ground as I walked out of the chemistry building.

You don't have the benefits of ether, but you do get to take home cookies!

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
Chocolate chip cookies!

I'm starting to think that if you have a piano party, I'd come even if you didn't have a piano...

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Hang in there, once you get into the routine, it will get easier. And you'll do great. My stepsister said she kept getting yelled at for licking her fingers.

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
For a lab section, which is basically what a non-classroom lecture is: read over the exercise a couple of times before the lab starts. Doing it will then be easier.

Also, run a computer model of the recipe. Ole Just kidding. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s possible to do culinary computer modeling some day. Input the ingredients, cooking time, and it tells you what will result.

It exists for electrical engineering. In the ee lab, we would set up an electrical circuit and measure the voltages at each node with an oscilloscope. I always managed to screw something up and get wrong measurements. Then I wised up. A computer software program called Pspice was available and it allows you to model an electrical circuit on a computer. You don’t even have to bother setting up the circuit anymore. Pspice tells you what the voltages are at each node and the current is in each branch. So before each lab, I would run the Pspice program and have all the answers first.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
What is your relationship with SM Sr's mom? She might be able to nudge him toward helping out around the house more -- or at least not creating more work (like leaving plates on the sofa).

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Great idea, PJ, but...erm...no.

I might actually have better luck nudging SM, Sr., but I'm not sure I'm ready to play my last good-mother-in-law chip. Muffin's Sister will have to advise me there.

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Of course, by "nudge", I mean "slap some sense into him."

Like... "dude... you have a loving wife, a beautiful son, a nice safe home... (slap) I know you work hard, but dude... (slap) at least don't create more work than you contribute around the house... dude... (slap slap) it's like a TEAM, dude... (slap) are you on board with this or not??? (slap)..."

Something like that.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post