well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Zimmer:

When I got sick of being told I folded the towels the wrong way or I should not wash dishes the way I chose to or at a time which did not suit her, I simply informed my wife it was a waste of my time to do it and she was more than welcome to do it her way when she chose to do it so that it would always be done correctly.

I never heard another complaint.

exacxtly like mr. apple*

i dare not complain about a thing because he never forgets a scolding.

*who hasn't touched the washer or dryer in 11 years

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Look--his hair's getting long enough to get messy!

I do not believe SM cares that the slashes in your bread may not be exactly where that doofus extremely talented chef says they should be.

You don't have the benefits of ether, but you do get to take home cookies!

SM needs a hair cut Frowner I think we're going in the morning. The boys would have gone today but I was sad because I had to stay home and do homework, SM Sr said well the family photographer should come along so we'll go tomorrow Roll Eyes

I don't have those chemicals but I do have lots and lots of baked goods Big Grin.

Doug - if you're ever in the area I'll make doughnuts just for you Big Grin

Jodi - It was sooo hard to not eat any cookie dough!! But I wasn't gonna get yelled at again so I didn't scrap the bowl clean Frowner I bet it'll be much harder when we're working with chocolate later this class!

PJ - My relationship with his mom.....we prefer to keep the peace by not talking. I've given him some nudgings and if they don't work I might ask my mom to send some nudgings Big Grin

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Finding a babysitter: Walk into the local high school office and ask if they could recommend someone. If you're going to be there while the babysitter is there, you might even want to consider middle schoolers. They're cheaper, and usually so concerned that they do everything right that they're super-cautious.

Some major metro areas actually have agencies where you can find babysitters, but they tend to be more pricey.

Posts: 4097 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
How would one go about finding a high school kid to hire?

We called the contact for the career center at our High School. It was listed on their web site. Then we interviewed the kids and called their references. It was easier for us, because we've been here a while, so it turned out we knew people who knew the girls.

They weren't really that responsible--a lot of talking on the phone and not showing up stuff, but if you'll be in the house and they are just a mother's helper it might not be so bad.

I once got some advice that I never took--hire somebody to take care of the house--that frees you up to take care of your own kid. But me, I needed a break sometimes.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Of course, by "nudge", I mean "slap some sense into him."

Like... "dude... you have a loving wife, a beautiful son, a nice safe home... (slap) I know you work hard, but dude... (slap) at least don't create more work than you contribute around the house... dude... (slap slap) it's like a TEAM, dude... (slap) are you on board with this or not??? (slap)..."

Something like that.

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
One more thing - something I learned from my ill-fated marriage:
When (most) women say, "Clean the living room" they mean pick up the clutter, vacuum, dust, etc etc.

When (most) men hear, "Clean the living room" they think you mean pick up the clutter. So when you come home and freak out because they didn't clean the living room...

I eventually started going with, "Could you please clean the living room, and vacuum the carpet and dust?"

Much better results.

Posts: 4097 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Bill_D
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
For a lab section, which is basically what a non-classroom lecture is: read over the exercise a couple of times before the lab starts. Doing it will then be easier.

Also, run a computer model of the recipe. Ole Just kidding. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s possible to do culinary computer modeling some day. Input the ingredients, cooking time, and it tells you what will result.

It exists for electrical engineering. In the ee lab, we would set up an electrical circuit and measure the voltages at each node with an oscilloscope. I always managed to screw something up and get wrong measurements. Then I wised up. A computer software program called Pspice was available and it allows you to model an electrical circuit on a computer. You don’t even have to bother setting up the circuit anymore. Pspice tells you what the voltages are at each node and the current is in each branch. So before each lab, I would run the Pspice program and have all the answers first.

It meight even work for a while until the prof wises up... and deliberately mismarks some components so you get a different reading than you would get from performing a numerical analysis of the system.

oops...

See, us geezers still have a trick or two up our sleeves...

As for running an analysis of the recipie, there are too many variables in the mix (baaad pun there) for an analysis to predict the outcome. (Translation: You're stuck making the cookies...)

Posts: 2515 | Location: San Francisco, California! | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apple*:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Zimmer:

When I got sick of being told I folded the towels the wrong way or I should not wash dishes the way I chose to or at a time which did not suit her, I simply informed my wife it was a waste of my time to do it and she was more than welcome to do it her way when she chose to do it so that it would always be done correctly.

I never heard another complaint.

exacxtly like mr. apple*

i dare not complain about a thing because he never forgets a scolding.

*who hasn't touched the washer or dryer in 11 years

In my relationships, I have not been ALLOWED to touch the washer or dryer. I do it wrong, apparently, and therefore must be kept away for fear of injuring myself or the clothing. It must be so, for a succession of women have affirmatively told me to keep my nose OUT of the laundry.

Yet somehow, when I am not in a relationship, I manage not to commit suicide by washer-dryer and the clothes seem to survive the experience.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
One more thing - something I learned from my ill-fated marriage:
When (most) women say, "Clean the living room" they mean pick up the clutter, vacuum, dust, etc etc., you insensitive, thoughtless clod

When (most) men hear, "Clean the living room" they think you mean pick up the clutter unless you want some body part that you value highly to be damaged.

Fixed it for you.

Seriously, though, you might notice the lack of a "please" in the supposed request, and the fact that you said "say" instead of "ask". I sense something Freudian there, because the lack of a please is what always gets my back up about the "request".

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Quirt - stop being such a lawyer.

Yes, I say please. And I do ask, as opposed to tell.

But here's a question for you: How many men do anything but expect their wives to do the housework/care for the children as a matter of course? They exist, but they're few and far between. So why do we have to ask, as if the husband is doing us a favour?

I do ask, but I'm just saying.

(This goes along with my rant about husbands who say they have to "babysit" their kids. No. You have to be a parent, you silly git.)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

Yes, I say please. And I do ask, as opposed to tell.

(This goes along with my rant about husbands who say they have to "babysit" their kids. No. You have to be a parent, you silly git.)

Some don't. And it isn't lawyering for me. Maybe I'm oversensitive, or maybe I'm extrapolating unfairly from my own experiences, but I don't like being treated like part of the household staff, instead of as a partner.

quote:

People might be able to nail me on general household laziness, but I don't think this one would apply to me.

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
that's why I said "most".

And for the record, my first "clean the living room" statements were phrases - not how I would have worded it. You'll notice that my actual full sentence contained both a "please" and a "request".

edit: Re: the "household staff" - i'll go back to my thought about the default housekeeper/baby watcher is the woman.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
My issue is not that I am not equally responsible for the work that needs to be done.

My issue has always been this ... who defines what needs to be done?

I'm willing to participate equally in the work that I feel needs to be done, but perhaps my standards are such that I don't feel that quite as much needs to be done.

So, at least in my case, your comment about the default housekeeper/baby watcher is off the mark. For me, it's more a question of how you decide (or who decides) what needs to be done and what the standards are.

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Of course, you could just live in squalor like we do. We never fight about anything, but I'm not so sure it's a better life. Wink

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Of course, by "nudge", I mean "slap some sense into him."

Like... "dude... you have a loving wife, a beautiful son, a nice safe home... (slap) I know you work hard, but dude... (slap) at least don't create more work than you contribute around the house... dude... (slap slap) it's like a TEAM, dude... (slap) are you on board with this or not??? (slap)..."

Something like that.

ROTFLMAO

ROTFLMAO

He has been doing better Smiler. Last night I only had one class meaning I drove 45 minutes there, sat in a pointless lecture from Chase bank for 50 minutes Roll Eyes and then drove the 75 minutes in traffic home. While I was gone SM Sr. threw some laundry in the wash, threw the baby in the bathtub, and prepped for dinner so all i had to do was cook everything and put it on the table Big Grin. Then I read my textbook at the kitchen counter while he cleaned up from dinner Big Grin

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post