well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
More pictures from the first week! Can't believe we made all of this in the first week.

Focaccia bread with garlic, fresh herbs, Parmesan cheese, and roasted red peppers. a lots of olive oil Big Grin

Brioche rolls, French breakfast rolls. Mine didn't turn out so great but they were delicious with butter and honey at midnight Big Grin

7 sisters coffee cake, made with Brioche dough, Cinnamon sugar filling, and a honey pecan glaze.

I finally got my knife kit!! I don't have to beg snooty culinary students to borrow their tools anymore, yayyy. It was like Christmas digging through all my tools when I got home Big Grin

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
have you ever considered dumping your young, handsome husband for an elderly, paunchy accountant?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
have you ever considered dumping your young, handsome husband for an elderly, paunchy accountant?

Big Grin Big Grin nope, I know I got lucky so I'll keep him around Big Grin, but I'll gladly bake away for anyone that asks!

Some school stuff ships if anyone wants anything, I always can use more practice!

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:
Some school stuff ships if anyone wants anything, I always can use more practice!

I am so going to send you my work address so I can receive CARE packages from you! Big Grin

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffin's sister:

I am so going to send you my work address so I can receive CARE packages from you! Big Grin

Big Grin Please do!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
MS, do you like cooking as well as baking? SO cooks (he could have been a chef, no doubt about it) but he says he can't bake. I keep telling him I think he could bake if he tried but no luck yet. Big Grin

Congrats on your knife kit! That's awesome! Smiler

Posts: 24736 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
MS, do you like cooking as well as baking? SO cooks (he could have been a chef, no doubt about it) but he says he can't bake. I keep telling him I think he could bake if he tried but no luck yet. Big Grin

Congrats on your knife kit! That's awesome! Smiler

Thanks! Smiler

I do cook and I enjoy it. I just love to bake. I have very little interest in owning a restaurant or being an executive chef, etc. Just way too much stress for me!

Culinary chefs can have difficulty baking because it's the opposite of culinary. There's lots of downtime, there's very rarely a "dash" of anything, many of the ingredients are there for chemical combination that HAVE to be exact, etc. But I think anyone can bake! It's just if they have the patience and desire of the end result to be patient. Most of the culinary students (all but 5 including me in our class) barely even taste the stuff we bake in class Eeker just take a bite or smell it and throw it out.

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Hey Muffin's Sister - any chance you'd be willing to share how much the pretty knife kit costs?

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics, this thread is making me hungry.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
Hey Muffin's Sister - any chance you'd be willing to share how much the pretty knife kit costs?

The ex-Quirlfriend's nephew took two years of cooking school at Johnson & Wales, before he decided that there was too much scut work involved. His knife kit, which came in a felt-lined box bigger than a briefcase, cost several hundred dollars.

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
that reminds me.. i need a new sharpening stone..

i wore mine out (through) actually

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

My knife kit (and P&B bag with pastry tips and a few smalls tools for pastry chefs only) were $750 HairRaising. Thankfully textbooks, knife kit, etc are included in tuition so I've already coughed up the money but still shocking.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano Again:
The tried and true male ploy to get out of doing housework. Big Grin

Could be for some, I suppose.

For me its the tried and true method of attacking housework efficiently and thoroughly like any other project so you can get on with other things.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
I just got my first grades Smiler. 95% on my first sanitation quiz, darn trick question got me! And a 100 on my first practical and 100 on my first quiz in my kitchen class.

happydance happydance

I was really worried about my practical quiz (on scaling and things I've never been taught but out of the book since I'm being thrown into the kitchen with advanced culinary students). I stayed after class to get some help and I think that's what boosted my grade. Big Grin

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
You seem to have real enthusiasm for what you are doing. There is no way you are not going to do great! (congrats on the grades)

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post