well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm always a bit puzzled by houses in areas with cold weather that don't have closets right by the front door...

Although many have mud rooms coming in from the garage??

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I'm always a bit puzzled by houses in areas with cold weather that don't have closets right by the front

I’ve noticed this. Even CA houses always have a “front hall closet.”

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
No one typically uses the front door - they all come in through the garage (generally that means your mud room where the washer/dryer is will be a disaster of coats, backpacks, shoes, etc.) That said, we've had an antique brass coat tree by our front door for guest coats for years - works very well.

My initial thoughts are that I like it much better than the milquetoast house (but not nearly as much as Dean St - that house is magical!). Definitely appears to be repairing some water damage in the basement- maybe a water pipe blew or something like that. They could also have discovered mold behind the drywall from dampness in a previous inspection - since the house has been on the market for a while, it wouldn't surprise me. Also guessing it's located on a fairly busy street - I can see a guardrail and kinda hefty power poles out the windows so that is probably not just a quiet residential street there. The one bathroom looks pretty tight in the photo (where the toilet is right next to the sliding shower door).

Also, and while this may seem dumb after 20 years it gets annoying, from someone who lives at XXXX Hendricks Station Rd, it's a long-arse address to write on things and half the time, it doesn't fit within the number of characters you are allotted in an address field LOL.

On the other hand, I love the exterior and the landscaping and there is really not much that seems to desperately need updated inside either. It's actually quite lovely -- a refreshing change from the "crazy Cleveland carpet colors" trend. I might consider refreshing the cabinets at some point because that's a lot of heavy oak. And if the fridge isn't included, I'd consider getting a cabinet depth fridge because that one seems to protrude a lot.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
discovered mold behind the drywall

How does that happen without actually removing the drywall? IOW how do you test for or confirm the presence of mold without being able to conduct a visual inspection?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18528 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
You can test for it - there are tests kind of like radon tests though I don't think they are all that accurate when the mold is inside the walls since it detects spores.

You can also smell it. And if I smelled it, I would tell my home inspector to pay special attention to that room. And he can use a moisture meter to detect moisture in the drywall. And if you find moist drywall, you tell the sellers to rip it out and find out why it's wet.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post

Is that a dog door in the wall to the left of the french doors??? If so, maybe this *is* meant to be your house! And if not, what is it????

Only other thing that sticks out to me is the odd placement of the heat vent right under the sidelight next to the front door. It prevents you from putting a wide doormat-type rug across the width of the door/sidelight that is right up against the door. Again, though, everyone probably uses the garage as the main entrance so probably no big deal. Just struck me as a weird place to put a vent.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Saw that square thing on the wall also. There's a photo of that area from the outside (seen through a window from an adjoining room), and the square thing can be seen there also.

Before I saw the outside pic, I thought it was a heater of some sort for that sun room.

Now I'm guessing dog door.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing an electric heater boost for that room... might be a cold spot!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think it's a dog door, which would save me the trouble of putting one in.

That said, I would not be surprised to learn that the big room with all the windows needs additional heat.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I would bet on a water issue. Why else - just the bottom portion of the drywall being replaced? Sockets seem to be placed with water in mind.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:

I'd want to strip off some of the drywall to look at the wiring. It was done by an amateur, probably the homeowner.

How do I know this? Some of the receptacles were mounted to the right of the stud, some to the left. Professional electricians never do this. Right handed electricians install boxes on the right side, left handed electricians on the left side.

It has to do with which hand they use to hold the hammer.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So are any of these details dealbreakers for you Steve? When did you say you were going out there visit?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18528 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Not dealbreakers so far but there are questions.

In order to go through with a purchase I'd have to get a satisfactory answer as to why they removed the drywall in the basement and what they did to fix whatever the problem was. A warranty wouldn't hurt - I understand that leaking basement issues can be $$$ to fix.

I'd also want a licensed electrician to open up the electrical boxes and verify they are wired correctly.

We leave 10/15.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
ooh, I do like that last house! My money is on dog door, not space heater. The kitchen looks good, a nice size and plenty of countertop space. My parents' kitchen was similar, and my dad built a shelving unit thing that they would place on the peninsula during holidays or parties. It was basic, a backboard and one deep shelf about a foot or so up from the bottom. It served to block the chaos of the kitchen behind it, and they could put plates, silverware, decorations, etc., on the shelf and food buffet-style on the counter in front of it. I wish I had a picture, it was really a brilliant idea.

I also really like that there is a soaker bathtub with jets, but the bathtub isn't one of those gigantic platform things that takes up half the bathroom and is impossible to get in/out of. I also like that it has a real step-in shower, and at least some of the rooms have ceiling fans.

Given that I think it's a doggy door, I also wonder if they have one of those electric fence thingies, since the yard itself isn't fenced. (That seems to be a midwestern thing, the unfenced yard.)

I also like the front porch, even if it is small. I've always loved front porches.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Kim and her MIL went to an open house at the Brownhelm Station house today. She said that it's a really nice house, stuck in the 90's despite a lot of recent work. MBR not real big but the rest of the house felt spacious. She really liked the sunroom, and the whole house had a very sturdy feel to it.

They did have a flood in the basement about a year ago. Power went out and the sump overflowed. Explains the drywall but not necessarily the ceiling tile unless it started to mold for some reason. Points out the need for a generator, which I am considering anyway.