well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
And Dean Rd is under contract.....

Frowner
Well darn!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
We’re going back and forth.

The new house is the only one that makes sense but neither one of us wants it. We could gussy it up but the neighborhood is wrong, the choices the builder offers are pretty crummy and it feels like settling.

New listings come up but none of them feel right.

Which leaves Menlo Park, and there are some tax advantages. Sharon changes her mind every day.

Stay tuned.

I missed this comment. Hmm, the Menlo Park one is rally nice, and liked it when you visited in person?

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Last night Sharon and I talked well in to the night about the pros and cons of the house on Menlo Park. We decided to sleep on it and if we both still liked the idea we’d make an offer this morning.

This morning we decided to go for it, worked up an offer, submitted it, only to learn that the house sold on Saturday. All cash. Not likely to fall out.

Lessons learned? A tract house is not going to do it, even a nice new one. If it’s not a lake house it needs a forest or a creek or a barn or something.

There is time. My business picked up in a big way and I don’t need to retire early.

Let’s see what comes up over the winter.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
It takes a bit of time to sort out the priorities and it sounds like you have a much better idea of what you're looking for. Every house I walk into, I always look for where the grand piano should go and I'm not in the market for a house.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, well darn. But, at least you have a better idea of what you want. That was our experience, we found a house just listed, we were literally the first people to see it, we loved it, the second couple that went to see it, about an hour after us, made an offer on the spot and that was that. Now, I’m glad we didn’t buy that house bc the one we did bought is much better for us. But it was a very enlightening experience.

Kluurs,
quote:
Every house I walk into, I always look for where the grand piano should go and I'm not in the market for a house.

You and me both. I do that with houses I see online too, even for Steve!

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:

Every house I walk into, I always look for where the grand piano should go ...
Priorities, man. We got them right. ThumbsUp

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Seems priced a bit high, but maybe it's in a desirable neighborhood.

Has a pool but it's small and saltwater.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...H_44012_M93669-27934

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Is that a didgeridoo in the room with the drumset?

/AskingTheImportantQuestions

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Long shot in a nice location:

https://www.realtor.com/reales...H_44089_M49222-30483

Looks very much like the house we lived in 1978 - 1982. Adjacent to the same park as the house on Menlo Park. Hard to beat the price with the view. No basement and that might be a plus - no floods, no sump pump. Can’t imagine heating it. Two living rooms, one could be dining room. A nice size.

Wonder what it would cost to double glaze the window wall.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That one is kind of interesting though I think I'd be spending a lot of money on redecorating, especially rethinking the kitchen layout.

But it's priced lower than others you've been considering so it would seem there'd be money available to do that.

As far as future resale, do you have any sense for how the absence of a basement might affect it?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Looks nice - though if you're away in the winter, all those windows would help people know you're not there - which isn't desirable. Not having a basement is ok - so long as you don't have "stuff."

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmm, is it just me or do all the rooms look kinda cramped? And the bathrooms too?? Bad photography?

Other than that, there's a lot to like about it. I love those windows!!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's under 1800 square feet, so I don't imagine the rooms are very large.

But I can tell you from experience, a house under 1800 square feet can be very comfortable to live in....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
a house under 1800 square feet can be very comfortable

Oh definitely. I think our house is like 1500 sf on the main level (Mr. SK's basement studio is another 220 sf and then the unfinished side of the basement is probably 400 sf??)

I just wonder about how the rooms are furnished, and whether it meets Steve's meets in terms of having family over etc.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I looked at it again... I like it a lot.

I would be worried about the big windows though, can they be curtained at all?