well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Steve, that's the house WTG posted a few days back! ROTFLMAO

Ha! I don't know how I missed that.

The only possible drawback is that it's very secluded. It will require an alarm for sure and possibly a shotgun next to the bed.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
SK and I will be fighting for the guest bedroom....

Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only possible drawback is that it's very secluded.

One of your children lives close by right? Ask them to drive by to get a feel for the neighborhood?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Just think of all the exploring the grandkids could do in the woods....snakes, frogs, other fauna.

I thought of something you might not think to check on with houses you are considering, and that's what kind of internet, cable, and cell service are available.

If you're in a remote area there may be no cable and satellite may be your only option, and there can be dead zones for cell service. Of course there's always an antenna, and you can stream pretty much anything as long as you have a decent internet connection.

We had to keep a landline in our vacation home. We weren't that far from a tower, but were in the middle of the woods and it killed the cell service. Satellite or antenna were the only viable TV options; the cable companies wanted residents to pay for bringing service into the area. Internet was over phone lines. Expensive and not that fast.

It's just not something that people who live in urban/suburban areas ever have to worry about. Best to ask so you don't have any surprises.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's the driveway. I zoomed in on the mailbox and confirmed the address.

https://www.google.com/maps/@4...w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Looks like farmland across the street and up the road in one direction, and a beautiful winding road through woods in the other.

The Vermilion River is not too far away. edit: But apparently far enough....

Here's the overhead view with flood info from realtor.com:

You can also zoom out and click on Crime to see how the area is rated.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The geothermal looks kind of interesting! It seems like you'll get heating/cooling unless the electricity goes out. But it is a newer technology. But you aren't paying the cost to install, which is significant. But I can't figure out how well it really works--will it really keep the house warm enough in the winter, cool enough in the summer?

I'd definitely do more research before saying no based on the geothermal alone.

If it were me, I'd invest in a riding lawnmower (or hire a high school kid). That's a lot of lawn to mow in muggy Ohio in the summer....

I think the house looks nice! I'm also assuming that it's real stone on some of those walls? Maybe not--but real stone would be super quiet and I'm thinking well insulated?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I see it has septic, but public water.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I thought of something you might not think to check on with houses you are considering, and that's what kind of internet, cable, and cell service are available.

Ha! I would not have thought to ask.

Thanks!

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
The geothermal looks kind of interesting! It seems like you'll get heating/cooling unless the electricity goes out. But it is a newer technology.

From what I understand, GT systems work very well but can be really expensive to fix if something goes wrong. It's basically a heat pump setup so I suppose I could just abandon the underground part and put in a normal heat pump if there are problems. Electric backup heat won't be cheap to run though, and the house does not appear to have natural gas. Propane?

quote:
I'd definitely do more research before saying no based on the geothermal alone.
Not a deal killer for me - I rather like the idea.

I'll hire out the mowing, even if I have to provide the mower.

quote:
I'm also assuming that it's real stone on some of those walls?

Probably not - it's probably veneer. Stone is a crummy insulator anyway and a house that new should be insulated pretty well.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We had a conventional boiler that ran on propane. Fill contract with the local LP gas supplier. Worked great.

As a bonus, we had a gas range; it was a selling point up there because most people only have electric and many people prefer gas.

That might be changing with induction cooktops becoming more popular.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
LOVE that house. The only think I'd even think about redoing is the bathrooms. The cherry in the kitchen is GORGEOUS, and I'm notafan of wood cabinets.

I suppose they have not run gas into that area yet. We were on electric when I bought the house but within a couple years we got together and had gas run into the neighborhood. Heat pumps in that weather can be pretty chilly, but I am sure you could go propane or electric if you wanted.

Roof looks to be in good shape.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That’s a great house. Although it does have room above the cupboards for plastic plants.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Arrgh! You can't put plastic plants on top of those beuatiful wood cabinets! Big Grin

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Also love the uplighting on the top of the cabinets.

These folks thought of everything, at least as far as things I think are cool/important....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
The only possible drawback is that it's very secluded. It will require an alarm for sure and possibly a shotgun next to the bed.

Bazootiehead-in-training