well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Where The Crawdads Sing

Jf

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I just this morning finished reading "Old Filth" a novel by Jane Gardham. It's excellent! It is a sensitive and perceptive portrait of the fallout of the British Raj as experienced by "Raj orphans". As I writer I deeply appreciated her skill in creating instant pictures in the reader's mind, and her mastery of her use of time in this non-chronological narrative--not easy to do well. Will have to look at more of her work. I understand this novel is part of a trilogy.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Le Ton beau de Marot, In Praise of the Music of Language.

By computer scientist Douglas Hofstadter, the author of Godel, Escher, and Bach.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The Miracle of Mindfulness:An Introduction to
the Practice of Meditation by Thich Nhat Hanh

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The Living Great Lakes by Jerry Dennis.

It's a travelogue of sorts about a voyage from Travers City, MI to Maine to deliver a "Tall Ship" to be used as a Bed and Breakfast. Lots of local history as they progress.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I just finished One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow by Olivia Hawker. The writing was exquisite, so descriptive and beautiful. If you have Amazon Prime, you can read it for free.

“Olivia Hawker’s enchanting historical novel, One for the Black Bird, One for the Crow, takes place in rugged and isolated Wyoming in 1870 where the nearest town, Paintrock, lies miles away, unapproachable in winter except by sleigh.

Based on Hawker’s family folklore and embellished with artistic liberty, she weaves a tale around two women, Cora Bemis and Nettie Mae Webber, who must come to terms with anger and anguish to survive a Wyoming winter. Cora, who grew up in St. Louis, surrounded by “society,” is desperate for companionship, other than her husband and four children. She’s caught in a compromising position with Nettie Mae’s husband, Substance. Cora’s husband, Ernest, in an “act of passion” kills Substance and is sent to jail for two years.”

(More, but no spoilers for you!)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've just about finished all of the "Maisey Dobbs" audiobooks by Jacqueline Winspear.

They've really turned out to be a delight!

I'll be looking for another good set of books to pass the time in the car, so if anyone can recommend a series, I'd be interested.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

Love his work

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Anarchy, State, and Utopia by Robert Nozick.

Kind of embarrassing I haven’t read it already. I even picked it up a couple years ago but got sidetracked.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Just finished "The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row" which is about a man in prison for 30 years for a crime he didn't commit. He was convicted though he had proof that he was in a locked warehouse 15 miles away from the crime, passed a lie detector test and gun he allegedly used hadn't been fired in 20 years. How? Being black in Alabama.

I'm presently enjoying Chernow's "Hamilton".

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have had this my shelf for a bit. Cannot put it down. Maryanna and Rustyfingers, either of you want my copy when I am done?

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I just finished listening to 42 hours of “Truman” by David McCullough. It’s an exhaustive look at a guy who was not always real popular when he was in office. Lots of history I didn’t know much about - the bomb, Korea, MacArthur, the Red scare.

Now I’m re-reading (actually listening to) 1984, a book I haven’t read since high school. The propaganda and revised history schemes are as modern as next week.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Just finished "After The Eclipse" by Sarah Perry.

It is a memoir about the murder of the author's mother when the author was 12 years old.

Five stars.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Emily Dickinson.

Reading edition. Thomas, H. Johnson. Ed.

I can't stand the Franklin edition done in the '90's but I digress.

This will be my 4th time. I'm only at about 100/1775.

I'm not a voracious reader like y'all.

I use 1.25 readers and even at that my eyes get so tired...

I spend my listening time with music almost always or I think I'd enjoy audio books.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post