well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I’ve been reading Richard Powers: The Overstory, Prisoner’s Dilemma, The Time Of Our Singing. All good.

J

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post

Yes

And continuing my slow, savoring read of "Braiding Sweetgrass" by Robin Wall Kimmerer as recommended to me years ago by Bernard. Smiler I don't want it to end, and I go back and reread chapters..

She is speaking tomorrow at a Native People's group in Western Mass..I am driving out to see her..Zoom just does not cut it.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

And continuing my slow, savoring read of "Braiding Sweetgrass" by Robin Wall Kimmerer as recommended to me years ago by Bernard. Smiler I don't want it to end, and I go back and reread chapters..

She is speaking tomorrow at a Native People's group in Western Mass..I am driving out to see her..Zoom just does not cut it.

It was last year's selection for the One Book, On Village community read in my town.

https://www.ahml.info/node/100011316

And before you ask, no I haven't read it yet... WhoMe

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Oh, WTG you don't know what you are missing....

For a taste you can hear her in an old interview..that just warms my heart..

On Being - The Intelligence of Plants

I passed my old copy on to a coworker who didn't have books in her budget. She came to me and said..."The Witch Hazel" chapter made her cry...as it did me..

As soon as I got home I read it again. So lovely..all of it...

This book just speaks to me...

I still have a copy, a new one..It is hardback with embossed cover, wonderul paper...and a ribbon to keep my place. Smiler

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I took time off in May/June to have 2 cataract surgeries (and the new lens implants eliminated my myopia!). So I spent a lot of time reading on my Kindle.

The Matthew Shardlake Tudor mysteries by C.J. Sansom

Daisy Jones and the Six (fictional rockumentary about a 70’s band and their breakup) by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Loved it! I love music talk.

Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr

The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles

Matrix by Lauren Groff (loved this middle ages nunnery tale)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (someone on this board recommended it. Loved it.)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Me too, JF.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Me too, JF.

Oh, yes, me too! I read it twice. Once for whodunnit. Then again to see how it was crafted.

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
For those Robin Wall Kimmerer fans, this talk was amazing..I went in person surrounded by Native Peoples... Smiler

Her teachings will inform our work at my org as we partner to buy land for a conservation/farm project. Yes

You can see the recording HERE.

quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

Yes

Smiler

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Thanks, y'all.

Hi

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Just finished a tiny gem. It was on the staff pick in a tiny bookstore in Colorado..I loved the tiny, hard back size but the writing was even better..I have ordered the sequel and sent the first to my 93 year old Mom. Big Grin

And skimming this...Ironically a few days ago, I ran across a line or two that mentioned CT still had school loans at the time of his nomination to the Supreme Court...Huh..

MillCityGrows.org

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I just inhaled Nowhere Girl: A Memoir of a Fugitive Childhood by Cheryl Diamond. It was fascinating, like Tara Westover’s Educated.

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I just finished Highly Irregular: Why Tough, Through, and Dough Don't Rhyme and Other Oddities of the English Language by Arika Okrent

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/55332395

It was fascinating and her writing style was really enjoyable. I listened to it on Audible. It’s read by the author and she did an excellent job.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A friend who just retired from Harvard Business School recommended a different book by Arthur Brooks; they worked together on some classes, I think.

When I looked at the list of books written by Brooks I decided to read this one first.

So far, so good...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
LOVED "Educated"..I read it continously over a weekend..so this is going on my list!!!

quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
I just inhaled Nowhere Girl: A Memoir of a Fugitive Childhood by Cheryl Diamond. It was fascinating, like Tara Westover’s Educated.

MillCityGrows.org