well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I finished A Rose for Virtue last night. Now I need to read the wiki article on Hortense Beauharnais to see what she did the rest of her life after Napoleon Bonaparte was exiled the second time, since that's where the book ends.

Not sure what I'll pick up next.

I have a house full of books.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Moskva by Jack Grimwood

Fun read. I like his style.
Put the Thomas Merton book down when the started a Christianity is What Makes America Great bit.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I am reading "The Potlikker Papers" by John T. Edge. It was billed on Splendid Table as a "Food history of the modern South", but is actually much more than that. The emphasis is on the cooks and how they participated in various civil rights actions, rather on what they cooked.

Excellent so far, and lots of stuff I had never heard before.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34973 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Four things...
So You Want to Talk About Race, by Ijeoma Oluo. I’m in a book study with some folks from work for this one, and will be attending a virtual session with her in August.

A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World by C.A. Fletcher. This one is a borrow from the library and I’m not sure I’ll finish it before I need to return it. I’m enjoying it, though, so maybe I need to prioritize it.

The Last Emperox by John Scalzi. A favourite author. This is the third in a trilogy that I love. I’m sad it’ll be over soon. Listening to this one on audio.

The Parker Inheritance by Varian Johnson - a middle-grade novel that I was investigating as a read-aloud for the fall. It’s a bit too old for my Grade 3/4 kiddos, but I’m enjoying it so I’ll finish it.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4095 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Robert Service's Lenin bio.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
My before-bed book is a book called "Why are pianos black?" written by a Japanese piano tuner. A chapter ago he was very gingerly walking the line between Yamaha and Kawai, and although he doesn't say it directly, he seems to favor Yamaha. Now he's heavily dissing Chinese piano makers. It's kind of funny!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18550 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have had a hard time concentrating on reading (or knitting) these days.

I started "White Fragility" as recommended at work. We are all doing some work on this to better serve our community. I can read some, then have to put it down to process.

Today my newest book came, "How to be an Anti-Racist" by Ibram X. Kendi. This has been on my list since it came out last year as the author is local and on radio very often..I find the way he frames things click with me. The introduction has sucked me in....I expect I will finish this before the former.

Books for 'fun'? Cannot think of a single one I have on deck..I am reading this thread to look for something...Somehow seems hard to find pleasure these days.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
I have had a hard time concentrating on reading (or knitting) these days.

I started "White Fragility" as recommended at work. We are all doing some work on this to better serve our community. I can read some, then have to put it down to process.

Today my newest book came, "How to be an Anti-Racist" by Ibram X. Kendi. This has been on my list since it came out last year as the author is local and on radio very often..I find the way he frames things click with me. The introduction has sucked me in....I expect I will finish this before the former.

Books for 'fun'? Cannot think of a single one I have on deck..I am reading this thread to look for something...Somehow seems hard to find pleasure these days.

I subscribe to the Anti-Racism daily email list and it’s excellent. If you’re interested, you can sign up here: https://www.antiracismdaily.com/

Also, I’m in the middle of So You Want to Talk About Race and I’m really appreciating that author’s voice. How to Be An Anti-Racist is next on my list.

Sorry - I just realized that I recommended things that definitely aren’t fun!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4095 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

Sorry - I just realized that I recommended things that definitely aren’t fun!

No apology necessary..I am of a certain age, 60, who now lives in a very diverse city..and I have seen this crap for decades .I feel like we should have moved further ahead....

I LOVE the young generation's loud, proud declarations..but it feels so heavy..like I have failed my kids' generation... Frowner

I am trying to read and learn as much as I can but there are days when it is just too much for me to process without weeping. Frowner

Dol, thanks for the link..I signed up. Smiler

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Robert Service's Lenin bio.

Ordered a sample

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I just finished "Save Me the Plums" by Ruth Reichl. She was Editor in Chief of Gourmet Magazine during it's final ten years of publication.

Interesting person, interesting stories, very well written. It even has recipes.

I think a lot of you will like it.

Posts: 34973 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I find it so funny that you, Steve, posted to this old thread..I started a new one recently.. Big Grin

But what a gift to look back again at good books!

I just today finished "Nomadland" the story of folks who live in their cars, vans, RV's. This book inspired the recent movie...Much like "Nickeled and Dimed"

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I didn’t realize it was an old thread. I searched on “What are you reading” and it’s the first thread that came up. Blink

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“The Kite Runner”. Yikes!

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Just finished reading "Paris in the Present Tense," the new Mark Helprin novel. It was a gift from the author. He thought it might be meaningful to me because of the musical themes in it. It is a profound and beautiful book that I am sure I will reread. And I almost never do that.

Loved it.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post