well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Tonight for dinner: One pan farro with tomatoes

You can use any grain; I used barley because it was in the pantry. This recipe showed up just in time to salvage the end of the Costco-sized box of grape tomatoes. didn’t matter that they were getting wrinkly!

I put a poached egg on top.

It doesn’t need as much salt as in the recipe; 1/2 tsp would be plenty. But it was delicious, sprinkled with shredded parmesan.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve never cooked with grains like Farro. This recipe looks like a great way to get started!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I have used farro as the foundation of a “grain bowl” and it was terrific. It had more ingredients plus a dressing. A great healthful dish.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I think I’ll make this again tomorrow (Friday) because it’s time for a grocery run and I don’t feel like it! i still have some wrinkly tomatoes, and I can throw in the bit of baby spinach that needs to get used up, at the end of cooking. Just so it wilts a bit.

I’ll use the rest of the barley, but I’d love to try some farro.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That farro recipe looks great.

I love the one pan kinds of meals. We had a NYT sausage and pasta recipe last night. Couple of Italian sausages (I used turkey sausages), crushed tomatoes, pasta, spices, and water. Break up the sausages into pan and brown. Add 15 ounce can of crushed tomatoes, cup of water, spices (they used a little cumin and some crushed red pepper - I think Italian spices would be great), and 8 ounces of uncooked pasta. Bring to boil, then simmer until the pasta is cooked. Add spinach (or in my case, Power Greens), cook for a few minutes, et voila! Dinner...

NYT recipe, sorry if you can't get to it: https://cooking.nytimes.com/re...-sausage-and-spinach

(I had to add more water because the pasta wasn't cooked and the sauce was too thick. I used campanelle; I think the cavatappi called for in the recipe is a better choice).

Also this bunch of quick prep recipes, also NYT. This one was via Pocket, so maybe it's not behind the paywall:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/0...source=pocket-newtab

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Creamy French Mustard Chicken, another one skillet dish.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I made this Raw Asparagus Salad last night. Utterly delicious with grilled wahoo. Even better for lunch today.

It's from Six Seasons by Josh McFadden. My daughter got me a signed copy for Christmas. Great reference for cooking seasonal, mostly vegetable dishes.

https://www.wpr.org/recipe-raw...mbs-walnuts-and-mint

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Creamy French Mustard Chicken, another one skillet dish.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

Favorited for later. i love chicken thigh dishes.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I learned about farro a few years ago. It's great. I'm definitely trying that recipe.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Proper British Shortbread Recipe

quote:
This Buttery British Shortbread Is Our New Favorite 5-Ingredient Treat

Mary Berry comes through again, with a five-ingredient recipe that you can throw together in minutes.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...e-5-ingredient-treat

Bazootiehead-in-training

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Mary Berry comes through again, with a five-ingredient recipe that you can throw together in minutes.

Whenever I have made shortbread (which is many, many times. I even made it as favours for my first wedding.) I have used only 4 ingredients: caster sugar (or regular sugar pulsed in the food processor so it’s very fine), flour, butter, and salt. I can’t believe the posted recipe doesn’t use salt, and I am sceptical about the need for both semolina and the “extra crunch” of Demerara sugar.

Apparently I’m getting old and grouchy.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I made this Raw Asparagus Salad last night. Utterly delicious with grilled wahoo. Even better for lunch today.

It's from Six Seasons by Josh McFadden. My daughter got me a signed copy for Christmas. Great reference for cooking seasonal, mostly vegetable dishes.

https://www.wpr.org/recipe-raw...mbs-walnuts-and-mint

Do you think this recipe would work with pine nuts rather than walnuts? I’m allergic but the salad sounds delicious!

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:

quote:

Whenever I have made shortbread (which is many, many times. I even made it as favours for my first wedding.) I have used only 4 ingredients: caster sugar (or regular sugar pulsed in the food processor so it’s very fine), flour, butter, and salt. I can’t believe the posted recipe doesn’t use salt, and I am sceptical about the need for both semolina and the “extra crunch” of Demerara sugar.

Apparently I’m getting old and grouchy.

Post your recipe and we'll do a WTF bake-off!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Shortbread

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar (I use caster sugar when I can get it or pulse it in the food processor, but I have also skipped that step when I’m feeling particularly lazy - I have never compared side by side so don’t really know how much difference it makes)
2 sticks salted butter, softened (if you use unsalted, be sure to add a good pinch of salt)

Heat oven to 375º F

Mix all the ingredients together by hand with a fork or in a mixer. Don't overwork the dough - stop when it just comes together

Pan: Roll into the shape of the pan you want to bake them in. 8 x 8 works. Trim the edges to the approximate size. It should be about 3/4” or so thick. If you want, cut it into fingers. Prick the shortbread with a fork, about half way through.

Round: You can also shape the dough into a ball, roll it out into a round, and score into triangles, then prick with a fork.

Mould: I use a mould. Brush with a little butter and then sugar, which helps it come out nicely. Roll the dough, put it on the mould, and then roll again to press it in. Turn it out onto a tray. I have a terracotta mould so I bake it right inside the mould and turn it out after baking.

Place in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until slightly brown on edges. If you wish, sprinkle with sugar immediately upon removing from the oven. Shortbread shouldn't be darkly colored. Let your shortbread cool a bit on or in the pan before moving to rack.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
In setting up a book event in our town, I found our local English Learning History teacher at the HS has published a cookbook featuring her immigrant students' family recipes (and stories)..I have ordered this year's book and plan to try out some recipes from it!

Tasting History 2021-2022

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post