well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Culinary school rantings :) *added a couple pictures*
 Login/Join

What Life?
Picture of Muffin's sister
posted Hide Post
Thanks RF Smiler

Last night went much better. We didn't end up having a quiz, no idea why not but I'm happy we didn't. I went to the library before class and they didn't have the book so I went to the bookstore and bought one. They have some weird system where an actual certain book is specifically for me. But it hasn't come in yet Roll Eyes So I bought one and when mine comes in I'll bring it back and get my $120 back Eeker.

We made blueberry muffins with strusel topping and chocolate chip cookies. My stupid holi-than-thou partner (who is a savory student, in his 18th week in the kitchen) doesn't understand gluten and over-mixing. It might be my 2nd day in class but I've self-taught myself a lot and pretty darn sure I've taught myself correctly about a good number of basics. So we ended up with slightly tough St-Patrick's-Day-Green (from over-mixing the berries in) muffins. Thankfully this week we get full production points if what we produce is edible.

I was allowed to take the rein on the cookies, thankfully. So our cookies were the best in the class Big Grin.

Tonight we are making french bread, focaccia, and brioche!

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I hate to tell you this, but the trials and tribulations you are going through now are good practice for what you will experience out in the cold cruel "real" world.

What they never told you growing up: sometimes being an adult ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
Interesting your know it all partner hasn't apparently made blueberry muffins before. It only takes one time to overmix the berries to see what happens to the batter.

Your classes sound fun -- I hope they continue to get better and more enjoyable!

I love baking . . . I would bake more often if I had more mouths to help me eat the tasty carbs.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
thanks for your posts. Your life is much more interesting than mine.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Piano Again
posted Hide Post
Speaking of muffins:

Am I a Stud Muffin?

Posts: 3833 | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano Again:
Speaking of muffins:

Am I a Stud Muffin?

Big Grin Big Grin too cute!

Posts: 2262 | Location: Way Southeast of Phoenix | Registered: 21 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Muffin's Sister,
I went back to school when Liam was just shy of three years old. My school was during the day, though my ex worked nights, so it was kind of a flip flop of what you're doing right now. I also had my mom close by.

However, I currently work a very demanding job that often requires long hours. Even though Liam is in school and I only have him half time, I'm on my own, so it can be stressful.

The things that have helped me most:
1. The world will not come to a screeching halt if your house isn't spotless. I promise. Learn to let some stuff go.

2. Take advantage of any opportunity you have for child care. Even if it's just an hour or two. And even if you use that time to relax or get some down time. You need that, too.

And something I don't have the benefit of, but I still think is important:
3. When you add your class time to your study/homework time, you basically have a full time job. SM Sr. will have to make some adjustments as well. Depending on the kind of guy he is, he might need some specific direction as to how he can help out a bit more.

But once you get into a routine, you'll feel better about it!

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
Muffin's Sister,
I went back to school when Liam was just shy of three years old. My school was during the day, though my ex worked nights, so it was kind of a flip flop of what you're doing right now. I also had my mom close by.

However, I currently work a very demanding job that often requires long hours. Even though Liam is in school and I only have him half time, I'm on my own, so it can be stressful.

The things that have helped me most:
1. The world will not come to a screeching halt if your house isn't spotless. I promise. Learn to let some stuff go.

2. Take advantage of any opportunity you have for child care. Even if it's just an hour or two. And even if you use that time to relax or get some down time. You need that, too.

And something I don't have the benefit of, but I still think is important:
3. When you add your class time to your study/homework time, you basically have a full time job. SM Sr. will have to make some adjustments as well. Depending on the kind of guy he is, he might need some specific direction as to how he can help out a bit more.

But once you get into a routine, you'll feel better about it!

Thanks Dol!

SM Sr is working on adjusting. He had to get out of work an hour early yesterday so I could sort some things out on campus and what not. He's not being so great at picking up household things or SM duties that I usually take care of. I'm trying to think of the most tactful way to ask for more help, I know he's trying and I don't want him to take it the wrong way because I don't have the time or energy for a mole-hill argument.

Next week SM Sr is taking a voluntary class that doesn't get out until 5pm Monday-Friday Mad I start my first class at 4:45. No idea why he thought this would be okay. Our good friend is going to watch Andrew from early afternoon until SM Sr gets out of training. I'm hoping to use that extra hour at home to do some laundry and do something like catch up on shows on the DVR Big Grin. This is day 3 of class, without any time to myself, and I'm already feeling crazy.

Class went well today. Started off great! I made wonderful baguette and brioche dough. When it came to rolling and scoring the baguettes....ha! I got yelled at a LOT. I swear I watched him do the demo and I took detailed notes but jeez. It's so not easy. I bought home my slightly misshaped and ridiculously scored baguettes, SM Sr. didn't even notice they were ugly. He cracked one open still steaming (took them out of the oven at the very end of class), made a sandwich, and went back to his baseball game on TV Big Grin.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of EHpianist
posted Hide Post
quote:
He cracked one open still steaming (took them out of the oven at the very end of class), made a sandwich, and went back to his baseball game on TV .

Gotta love him!

With Mr. EHpianist it helped me a lot in our "shared duties" with La Chiquita to recognize that he was not going to do things the way I did things. You and SM have a routine and a way of doing things which developed over time and experience. At some point Daddy will develop his own floppy routine with SM and it will most definitely not be the same way you would do things. Let it slide. The important thing is not that all things get done, but that SM doesn't starve or hurt himself or remain in an icky diaper. Everything else is actually fluff.

I once read that women measure men's contribution to the household in relation to what they themselves contribute, and normally it tends to fall short. But men tend to measure their contribution in relation to what their own fathers did, in which case they see themselves as Mr. Mom. Big Grin

Posts: 7252 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Elena gives great advice. A lot of women (and me, too until I wised up) want things done exactly the way they would do it themselves. So you end up criticizing your assistant for really stupid stuff (like they fold pants weird, or they dress your kid funny Big Grin). This leaves your assistant fuming, and for good reason.

Been there, done that, wised up.

Sounds like you're already pretty skilled at picking your battles.

Can you guys hire a high school student to come over for an hour or so every couple of days to give you a break--they can watch SM (while you're there) or *they* can do the laundry, pick up the house, minor housework stuff. High school students are pretty cheap labor, too.

(Once again, I'm wishing we lived closer.)

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
(Once again, I'm wishing we lived closer.)

+10,000

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
i don't know what culinary school is like these days.

it is very customary that oldschool chef's and the heirarchy of sous chefs, etc are VERY abusive and rude. i think that's totally uncalled for. I worked in a couple 'European' kitchens and the chefs were AWFUL.. so rude and mean. really mean... and it the custom has migrated into the better hotel kitchens.. I guess they think that if you can stand the pressure of being yelled at, you can deal with the tension of producing food within limited time frames.

I bet you are going to have wonderful time in your education.

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
posted Hide Post
How would one go about finding a high school kid to hire? SM Sr is strongly against Craigslist which is the only way I think think of! Wishing we lived closer to Nina clan too! We'd pay for gas Big GrinBig Grin

I'm trying my best not to critize SM Sr. I know he's doing his best but when I ask for help around the house and he eats a sandwich at 10:30pm, leaves the plate on the couch, and then wonder how the baby got it in the morning... Roll Eyes When SM and I do nighttime bathtime I do a quick in and out and off to bed. SM was up until 9:30 last night "because he didn't want to get out of the tub". Oh boy.

Apple - it's a mix of terrifying and inspiration. He's an amazing chef, been to several world baking competitions and a master chef I believe. He's amazing to watch work and his feedback is wonderful. But when you screw up...it just turns into a snowball. I get so nervous after that one mess up and then it all goes down hill and it's like Hell's Kitchen without the profanity. My partner watched the clock and he was at our station yelling at mostly me for over 4 minutes in one bout of many.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Perhaps he's yelling at you because he sees potential and he wants to drive you to be your best.

Sick, I know, but that's the way it works in some fields.

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hang in there. The prima donnas you have to deal with will reap bad karma.

Maybe we need a piano party in your town. The WTF gang would love your cooking.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post