well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Piano tech in Hudson Valley NYC suburbs?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano tech in Hudson Valley NYC suburbs?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Sorry I'm not responding much at the moment, y'all. I'm really grateful for the help and am going to take action and let you know more about what's going on soon, but I just had some oral surgery. I'm mostly holding ice on my face and hoping the codeine kicks in before the Novocaine wears off.

My wounded piano and I thank you. Smiler

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15565 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
It's clear I'm not in my right mind, because I just picked up the ibuprofen bottle and asked myself, "Did I take those?"

The answer is yes. I did take those. And the Tylenol with codeine.

My followup instructions said that Classic Coca-Cola (and yes, they specify Classic Coke) was good for nausea, so I'm enjoying that, too.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15565 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
Finish repair is often done at some distance from the rebuilding facility because the noxious chemicals and fumes involved in refinishing would not be permitted in a populated area. Or so I’ve heard.

When I was at Cantabile they had a finish room set up for dealing with the fumes. But who even knows if it's the same facility now.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
MA I hope you feel better after your oral surgery!!

Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yes, feel better, Mary Anna. That’s the first order of business. Group Hug

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13889 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Oral surgery - knocks one down a bit more than you think it should. Be gentle with you. Last time I had some, I saw the oral surgeon afterward, slumped in his chair exhausted. Needless to say, I felt pretty much the same way.

Posts: 9624 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Thanks, y'all. I'm staying on top of the meds, cold packs, and fluids.

You're right, Kluurs. It does knock you down a bit. Fortunately, a handsome fellow forumite picked me up in his chariot, so even though the dentist is a five-minute walk from home (if that), I was able to just kinda slouch into the car and then into the house, where I curled up in my easy chair.

He brought me a milkshake when he picked up my meds, so I'm healing and feeling well-cared-for.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Glad someone will get milkshakes for you. That will help. Take it easy.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25850 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
hope you are feeling better, MA. any progress on finding a local tech?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Mary Anna found a tech who was here the other day and fixed the playability issues. We're still working on the damage to the case.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
So you're in NY now. Is all the remodeling done or will you be living with it a while?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13649 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It feels as if we'll be living with it forever.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Can relate. We’ve had a guy in every day this week working on our kitchen. Then we have to refinish the basement, which would be going on now too if I hadn’t fired that contractor.

Adult purgatory.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13649 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I took two routes to the same tech

Rich Galassini referred me to one man who said he was booking months out. He worked for Faust Harrison and told me to book somebody with a sooner appointment through them. (It had become somewhat urgent, because the rod operating the damper pedal wasn't installed correctly and the squeaking was rendering the piano unplayable.) The woman at Faust Harrison heard that I was in Nyack, which must have seemed like the back of beyond to her--it's a twenty-minute drive from my house to the store--so she gave the business away. She said I should call Michael Jurewicz, who used to work for them but is going out on his own, and he lives in Nyack.

Meanwhile, I talked to Jon, who asked his tech if she recommended anybody...and she said Michael Jurewicz.

So I called him, he was here in two days, he fixed the damper pedal problem, and now I have a tech. He said that it had been well-taken-care-of in Oklahoma, so it didn't have any urgent needs beyond tuning. (And eventually getting somebody to repair the damage to the case done by the movers.)

I've got it in a reasonably large room, but it's a big piano, and its basically sitting on a second soundboard of century old fir flooring. It's LOUD, especially since Michael was playing it with the lid up.

After I put down rugs and hang window coverings (and lower the lid), we'll listen to it again and decide whether it needs voicing. It's been a while, so it probably does, but now I have a tech to do it, thanks to my WTF friends.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
MA, very glad to hear this update!

Re the sound, rugs and drapes will help a lot. Also, some soft chairs may help as well. You may have missed my piano room decorating thread over at the new WTF, I'll find a link to it, I have lots of photos. Smiler

I did have some very minimal voicing with my recent tuning, I will probably ask for a little more. I think my issue isn't so much the size of the room (although that's a factor of course bc it's a small room) but the dryness of this house. It's a totally different inside climate from our previous house (the rental in the same neighborhood) and also from the house we owned (in a different state in the southeast). I feel like the hammers are just a little harder and the light voicing I had done in the upper registers really helped, so I'd like a little more...

Re the damage to the case, if you're feeling up to talking it, can I ask what happened? It sounds like playability isn't an issue after your new tech visited and hopefully there aren't any other lingering issues (if so, that's good!)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post