well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cracker Barrel
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cracker Barrel
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
My family loves the place, me not so much. We don’t have e them in CA so every time we go out of state we have to stop when we see one.

They mess up the simplest things! The mashed potatoes taste like what we got at Y-Camp, the steak is as tough as bark and the cornbread muffins are baked long enough to use for hockey practice.

A couple of things are good. They’ve cut back on the sugar in the greens and they might be my favorite thing. Same with the biscuits. The meatloaf is probably a depression era recipe with a lot of filler but it’s pretty good too.

They’re always crowded so someone must like them. What do you think?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34988 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They are in the area but none that are very close to us. Have to admit it's not my style of food, so we haven't made the effort to go.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37992 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Don’t know them, but I would likely agree with your excellent review.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13823 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I am not fond of most chains like this.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20469 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Ate there once.
I tried.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I think I went to one with the ex-in-laws. Might have been another chain.

Meh.

I used to eat at Denny's about once a year. I don't think there's one within a 10 mile radius of my home, now. It was cheap and predictable.

There's another chain in the PNW called Shari's. Sorta like Denny's or IHOP, but used to be worlds better. Then about 20 years ago, they changed ownership and went rapidly downhill.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've never been, but there is one near where we used to live in Phoenix that was always crazy busy.

I tend to avoid national chains as well, unless I'm traveling and they're just easy and accessible. The exception I make is for Chipotle, because I just like them. LOL

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
How come we don’t pronounce Chipotle like Aristotle?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Wait, you don't pronounce it Aristotlay?

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We have never been to a Cracker Barrel or Chipotle, but now I am not inspired to go!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I used to like to stop at a Cracker Barrel when I encountered one while travelling because the food was more like home cooking with a nice selection of side dishes. In fact, sometimes I'd just get the meal of five sides along with some biscuits. Now they're more or less everywhere (there's one within 5 miles of me), and I really don't want to go any more.

I think one big change is the ability to search for restaurants on the cell phone while travelling and read reviews as well. With that aid, we tend to favor well-reviewed local restaurants over chains almost every time.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7423 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I found that we DO have a Cracker Barrel here, but I’m pretty sure it’s not part of the chain. When I search the corporate locations it doesn’t show up.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13823 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
We pick up lunch from Chipotle once in a while. I like the burritos.
At present, going in is forbidden. Will be a while before I can ask why they don't pronounce the name correctly. Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Cracker Barrel is OK. Their southern fried chicken is good. That said there is one four miles away and we never eat there.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13569 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I agree that Cracker Barrel is okay. If I'm going to eat at a chain, it's a decent chain.

I don't often go there when I'm not traveling. I really like homestyle cooking of the meat-and-three variety, but I like it freshly made. Or, to put it another way, I like mine better than theirs. Smiler

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15519 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post