well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hey, I’ve joined the Covid club
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, I’ve joined the Covid club
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Yep. Last night a fever and headache descended on me. Home test today confirms it.

I’m not totally miserable at this point, but don’t have energy to do much.

I did have a previous bout of it a couple of years ago.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well blast and damn. Hope you coast through it.

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Is there something I am supposed to do besides just waiting it out? Like Paxlovid or something? Should I be calling a doctor?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I didn't even call the doctor when I got sick. My temp got a little over 102 but came back down fairly quickly without fever reducers. I just felt like I had a bad cold. I monitored my own symptoms and knew I had a few days to get the Paxlovid if things got much worse.

Mr wtg, OTOH, had more of a fever, felt like he had been hit by a truck, and was coughing a lot more. As it turns out, his temp dropped from 102.7 during the night to 99.5 not long before his scheduled telehealth appointment. That's where he was at when we did the virtual appointment with our doc.

Doctor was not inclined to prescribe Paxlovid in Mr wtg's case, even though he is 73, overweight, and has bladder cancer. Surprised me, as I thought for sure he'd write a prescription for it. He mentioned the rebound cases of Paxlovid and also side effects. I think he may have seen cases in his practice where the Paxlovid was probably worse than just letting the virus run its course.

My neighbor, in his late 50s and in excellent health, got a scrip from urgent care. He was extremely fatigued but had no other symptoms. He felt better within a day of starting Paxlovid, which he got a day after symptoms started. Mr wtg never took it. And he had a rougher case than mine.

People I know who have taken Paxlovid have ranged from no side effects (my neighbor, who didn't even have the metallic taste), to those who got the rebound and/or who had very bad diarrhea and stomach upset.

It's all over the map. I guess it boils down to how you feel. Paxlovid needs to be started within five days of testing positive, so you still have a bit of time. But of course the earlier you start, the more you shut down the virus.

eta: You could always contact the doc, see what he/she has to say, and if they decide to prescribe you could always defer having it filled for a day or two to see how things unfold.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, Joe.

Feel better soon.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Daniel.

I’m having a beer. I am not a huge beer drinker, but when I have a cold, there’s nothing better.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry. I did contact my doctor to see about Paxlovid - she said it was up to me, that there were some side effects, and the possible covid rebound (it seems to be unclear whether it is related to the paxlovid or not). I decided against it as i wasn’t sure when exactly I came down with it, and it only works on you in the beginning. A gallery mate of mine did take it and she said it reduced the severity of her symptoms. My brother called me this morning (he’s in Reno) and he also just tested positive - he’s going to take paxlovid.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
How are you feeling, Jodi?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Joe, so sorry to hear this!!

Jodi, I hope you're feeling better!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18525 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it, Joe.

I can tell you that what I did was go to bed and sleep for some 18 hours and that’s all it took.

OTOH, that’s what I do whenever I get sick with anything so YMMV.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
If only I could have gone to sleep for 18 hours! I had a really hard time sleeping, and could NOT nap. I am a lot better today, still a bad cough and some congestion, but I have had energy to do some things in the studio, cook dinner and make up dough for bagels. Poor Steve may be joining the club - we thought he’d had a mild case, but apparently not. Looking more like he picked up something at Yellowstone that wasn’t covid, and then I caught covid after we got home a horse show I helped out at (indoor arena - and at least three others that were there that day have come down with covid) and now Steve has caught it from me. He came down with a fever this afternoon, chills and sweats and has gone to bed and we will test him tomorrow…..

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ugh, sorry to hear this Jodi!

Posts: 18525 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Jodi (and Steve). Hopefully you will both pull through this quickly.

I’m going to try sleeping on the living room couch tonight, so my wife can have the bed to herself. I’m also masking when anywhere near her.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. Hope it is a mild second bout.

Yeah, my wife and I separated when I came down with it in Santa Fe, and again when she got it after we returned home. Our cases were fairly minor.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D, how did you separate? Did you go to a hotel?