well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I’m thinking landslide
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m thinking landslide
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I'm paying plenty of attention. There's no way to defend how long this has gone on nor the cost in lives. I'm not advocating escalating violence, but they have already caused more deaths than the underlying problem has in quite some time.

It's time to stop. The point has been made.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
they have already caused more deaths than the underlying problem has in quite some time

Mik there's something wrong with your math.

ETA: This is a non-comprehensive list of deaths at the hands of police in the U.S. since Eric Garner's death in July 2014. (I also changed to a smaller image)

This does not include other ways that people of color are victimized and have their lives cut short by racism.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I'm paying plenty of attention. There's no way to defend how long this has gone on nor the cost in lives. I'm not advocating escalating violence, but they have already caused more deaths than the underlying problem has in quite some time.

It's time to stop. The point has been made.
Who is "they"?

Are the protesters causing deaths? Both sides?

There have been several (three? four?) cases in the last few days where police have been shot. There are factions in the U.S. that are violently anti-police. Some of them appear to be using peaceful protests as cover to shoot police. I condemn the shootings in the strongest terms. But I cannot equate that to "the protesters are causing deaths".

Also, Mik, I would invite you to read this:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52896872

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also this:

quote:
Since Jan. 1, 2015, 1,252 black people have been shot and killed by police, according to The Washington Post's database tracking police shootings

from: https://www.npr.org/2020/05/29...ing-black-people-die

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I read “they” as the protests, not certain people. But I’ll let Mik speak for himself.

Mr. AM was on the phone with a religious, conservative colleague in another state. He asked, seriously, about the St. John’s church incident. She knew about the damage, but had not heard about the clearing of protestors for the photo op.

If youor media source doesn’t mention it, you might not know about it at all.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad: ...hear their eligies.

What? ROTFLMAO

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
they have already caused more deaths than the underlying problem has in quite some time

Mik there's something wrong with your math.

ETA: This is a non-comprehensive list of deaths at the hands of police in the U.S. since Eric Garner's death in July 2014. (I also changed to a smaller image)

This does not include other ways that people of color are victimized and have their lives cut short by racism.

And, that's only the ones who have been identified. What do you imagine would have been listed as the cause of death for George Floyd if there hadn't been video? And how many black men have been injured "resisting arrest"?

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry but it would have to be a landslide against Biden. I'm just not seeing it at this point.

https://youtu.be/xeEC8qQ5sSo

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad: ...hear their eligies.

What? ROTFLMAO

Well, if you're gonna quote me, at least cut and paste properly. I did NOT misspell elegies... Wink

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Ok. hysteric

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm hopeful (optimistic is too strong) that Trump will be defeated. There are many signs indicating that people are getting tired enough to actually get off their couches and vote. The majority do not support Trump or the current GOP leadership. All they have to do is show up and vote.

I'm less hopeful about a peaceful transition should Trump lose. I fear he's inciting violence now in large part as preparation for large scale clashes should he lose the presidency in November. He will not go quietly, or will many of his followers.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Mark Milley may be compromised and on the way to being cashiered from the military next January, but even he would not support a coup to maintain Trump in power. Perhaps I'm been naively hopeful, but if Trump were to give orders in November that hinted at sedition, I suspect enough people around him would react by resigning and refusing to follow those orders. Other power centers would emerge, and the message would be, "if you follow those orders, YOU will be spending the better part of the next decade in the slammer." A few good generals and Senators might put an arm on Trump's shoulder and say the truth to him. Come along now, nicely, and let things go. Or ....

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Mark Milley may be compromised and on the way to being cashiered from the military next January, but even he would not support a coup to maintain Trump in power. Perhaps I'm been naively hopeful, but if Trump were to give orders in November that hinted at sedition, I suspect enough people around him would react by resigning and refusing to follow those orders. Other power centers would emerge, and the message would be, "if you follow those orders, YOU will be spending the better part of the next decade in the slammer." A few good generals and Senators might put an arm on Trump's shoulder and say the truth to him. Come along now, nicely, and let things go. Or ....

Agreed - I'm thinking more along the lines of Proud Boys, Bugaloo, etc., not the actual military or national guard.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, if they protest peacefully, fine ... Wink