well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I’m thinking landslide
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m thinking landslide
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
How can it not be a landslide? Hundreds of thousands dead in a plague. Millions unemployed. Citizens being gassed and beaten in the streets.

This country has not been torn apart like this in my lifetime. In three years, this country has become unrecognizable.

If we get four more years of Trump, there might be nothing left.

This country needs to unify. Maybe we can unify at getting rid of Trump.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I can't even convince some cousins.

They have got to be blind.

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I never thought landslide was in the cards but before these demonstrations went violent I thought we had a decent chance.

But it has to be a referendum on Trump. If it’s a referendum on the demonstrators we’re ******.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
But it has to be a referendum on Trump. If it’s a referendum on the demonstrators we’re ******.

So how does that happen?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18427 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The Biden campaign and all the other PACs in support (hear that, Bloomberg) have to frame it that way. That framing has to come early, has to be the central message, and has to stick in the public mind.

Moreover, it has to be a central point of most of our Senate and House elections as well.

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We need millions more to have this light bulb moment.

quote:
After a while, the crowd began to drift east, toward the Capitol. Some stayed behind at the White House, where the scene was quieter than it had been for hours. Holding aloft a yellow sign reading “Trump Coward,” Anita, a Virginia woman with long blond hair, told me, “I am a registered Republican. This man has disgraced my political party. I will be changing political parties after this.” She wore black capri pants and a white T-shirt with the American flag on it. For a while, she explained, she had credited Trump with a strong economy. For more than three years, she stayed loyal; she liked to imagine that he was best for business. She said, “I gave him that much time. And, as the days have gone by, the insult from this President is just too much to take. All he’s done is hide in his ******* house over here.”

I asked Anita when she had decided to change her political affiliation. “Yesterday was it,” she said. She had watched the video of Floyd’s death, and it left her shaken. “Any one of us with even a little bit of humanity, it absolutely broke our hearts.” Her voice cracked. “Every police department in this country needs to change. They should never be allowed to touch a person’s head or neck. Why would they even need to do that?”

She went on, “It makes you question—what have they done in the past that we don’t know about, that’s not on video? All of the complaints from the black community now become just real complaints that have been happening. The reality of what they’ve been living in for years just becomes that much more real.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news...ible-and-a-sanctuary

I want to hope that there are many more like her, but I'm not optimistic.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
She had watched the video of Floyd’s death, and it left her shaken. “Any one of us with even a little bit of humanity, it absolutely broke our hearts.”

What does that say about the millions of people who will pull the lever for Trump, many of them voting their fears of black/brown supremacy, many voting to aggressively assert their own supremacy, and many voting smugly because, well, Gorsuch.

But then again, we're not supposed to say divisive things about our neighbors. We're supposed to be understanding, and walk in their shoes, and hear their elegies.

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I dunno. I hope, but I thought it would be a landslide in 2016 too.

I will say I went to visit my mom in coal-town northeast PA on Sunday when her stay at home restrictions lifted. Her city has been "taken over" (her words) by Hispanic immigrants over the last 15-20 years - her city made the news maybe 6 years ago for having a mayor who passed some of the most restrictive anti-immigrant laws in the country. (That mayor was promptly elected to the US Congress and I believe is eyeing a Senate run soon....sigh).

Anyhow, there were a LOT of Trump 2020 signs hanging everywhere. Like a whole lot.

So landslide? I wouldn't count on it. There seems to be a pretty large percentage of people who think he is doing just a bang-up amazing job as president.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
“It makes you question—what have they done in the past that we don’t know about, that’s not on video? All of the complaints from the black community now become just real complaints that have been happening. The reality of what they’ve been living in for years just becomes that much more real.”

Ugh. This makes me a little crazy. Like, it's taken you this long to start believing what people have been saying for year, what there is ample evidence for...

I mean, thank goodness you've seen the light.

But my god, what the hell took you so long?

This also points to all the others who still don't see it, refuse to see it....

Posts: 18427 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Had a talk the other day with an aunt and uncle after the first night of looting in Chicago. They see the police as that "thin blue line" maintaining peace. They were appalled that the police didn't step in and use force (lethal??) once a window was broken downtown...

So yes, there are probably a lot of others looking for stronger police and military action to preserve their version of reality in America.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7553 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Had a talk the other day with an aunt and uncle after the first night of looting in Chicago. They see the police as that "thin blue line" maintaining peace. They were appalled that the police didn't step in and use force (lethal??) once a window was broken downtown...

So yes, there are probably a lot of others looking for stronger police and military action to preserve their version of reality in America.

Would they have voted for Biden but for? Do they plan to vote for Trump because of?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A landslide I think is too much to hope for.

https://patch.com/illinois/arl...over-looters-rioters

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They see the police as that "thin blue line" maintaining peace. They were appalled that the police didn't step in and use force (lethal??) once a window was broken downtown...

I often think (perhaps naively) that people who take this view are not thinking out to its logical conclusion.

They see those who are breaking windows (etc.) as criminals. Not as citizens pushed to the breaking point.

And so, when an increasingly militaristic reaction occurs, they don't see it as "the US military turning on its own citizens." Which is what I see.

This difference of interpretation will cause (is already causing) a fundamental rift.

This country is coming apart, and I don't know what can stop it.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:

Would they have voted for Biden but for? Do they plan to vote for Trump because of?

They voted for Trump... because of abortion. So who knows???

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7553 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
All but one member of my family will vote for Trump.
They are angry at the protesters and would ignore a mass shooting of them. There are millions like them.
Putin will have an effect on the vote count again.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post