well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    EV travels
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EV travels
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
They might need to program the charging station to keep charging people by the minute if they are hooked up or parked in the spot.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not a deep thinker, this guy.

quote:
Who plans an EV trip without making specific plans for charging?

I think a lot of people think that giving up a gasoline powered car and buying an electric one is a simple substitution. It's not, as the Fox article and the other one have pointed out. It's not a mature technology and there are going to be bumps along the way.

I'm still not a convert. I would consider a hybrid, but not an EV.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think EVs are perfect for in-town service trucks and commuters who can charge at home. Other applications are a ways in the future. Extra points if you have solar on your house and can charge for nearly nothing.

The Lightning was never meant for road trips. That said, once you see how fast they are you might decide to take a chance.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Fast food to the rescue!

Fast chargers and fast food.

(Makes a lot of sense)

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I hate this genre of articles, really popular among EV-skeptics, which you could summarize as:

"I took an EV through a use-case that everyone knows is bad for EVs and..... wait for it.... it was bad!"

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Surprised more hotel chains have not installed
chargers.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't accept the "everyone knows it's bad" premise; that gives way too much credit to the idea that people make informed and rational purchase decisions. I suspect it's the "I want the shiny object" phenomenon, in this case the very zippy pickup truck.

As Steve pointed out:

quote:
Not a deep thinker, this guy.

I think there are a lot of people like him out there.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post