well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    EV travels
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EV travels
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
One thing I just learned - you can buy an adapter for your non-Tesla EV charger that will allow you to charge at Tesla stations.

I'm pretty sure there are a few caveats:

1. You have to register with Tesla and give them a CC in order to charge.

2. You have to download the charger app and use it to turn on (and bill) your charge. *I think* the app will also tell you the closest chargers and whether they have availability (open chargers).

3. *I think* You have to have a car that's equipped with "fast charging," which is standard in some cars and an additional charge in others. If you don't have fast charging, it can take hours to charge, depending on the size of your battery.

The adapter is $$$$.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I just read that the Brits are designing an EV, but it’s not quite ready to into production, yet… they can’t figure out how to make it leak oil on your garage floor.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
One thing I just learned - you can buy an adapter for your non-Tesla EV charger that will allow you to charge at Tesla stations.

I'm pretty sure there are a few caveats:

1. You have to register with Tesla and give them a CC in order to charge.

2. You have to download the charger app and use it to turn on (and bill) your charge. *I think* the app will also tell you the closest chargers and whether they have availability (open chargers).

3. *I think* You have to have a car that's equipped with "fast charging," which is standard in some cars and an additional charge in others. If you don't have fast charging, it can take hours to charge, depending on the size of your battery.

The adapter is $$$$.
You can buy an adapter for Teslas to charge at other stations too.

My best friend for life has had a Tesla for probably five years now. he's made several trips up here from New Braunfels, TX, with no problem. These vehicles have software that makes planning your recharge stops easy.

And the car itself it too freaking cool. Love it. The distance capacity and infrastructure will grow around the demand. What I worry about is where will we get the generating capacity.

Still, it's a perfectly logical next step in reducing emissions if we can ramp up power production in a clean way.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I worry about is where will we get the generating capacity.

I imagine expansion of wind farms (there are already tons and tons in Texas) and solar farms, particularly as battery capacity and usefulness improves.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
There was an excellent piece on NOVA the other day called Chasing Carbon Zero. Lots of good information and new idea without being too preachy. I particularly liked the bit about the free floating windmills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN-P4ilk7Iw

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I just read that the Brits are designing an EV, but it’s not quite ready to into production, yet… they can’t figure out how to make it leak oil on your garage floor.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The Chinese EVs are coming

"“We have a lot of respect for the car companies in China,” Tesla CEO Elon Musk said in a Jan. 25 conference call with financial analysts. “They work the hardest and they work the smartest.”"

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Now why might I look askance at a British EV. Lucas Electric looms large for anyone who has had a British car.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Former MG owner here..some of my favorite Lucas, Prince of Darkness, jokes...

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators

https://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
About a decade ago, Tesla rigged the dashboard readouts in its electric cars to provide “rosy” projections of how far owners can drive before needing to recharge, a source told Reuters. The automaker last year became so inundated with driving-range complaints that it created a special team to cancel owners’ service appointments.

quote:
Tesla employees had been instructed to thwart any customers complaining about poor driving range from bringing their vehicles in for service. Last summer, the company quietly created a “Diversion Team” in Las Vegas to cancel as many range-related appointments as possible.

https://www.reuters.com/invest...sla-batteries-range/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm Elon and I'm here to help you
Mad

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Canadian man is calling electric vehicles the "biggest scam of modern times" after his frustrating experience with an electric truck.

Dalbir Bala, who lives in the Winnipeg area, bought a Ford F150 Lightning EV in January for $115,000, plus tax. He told FOX Business he needed the vehicle for his work, but also wanted something suitable for recreational activities such as driving to his cabin or going fishing. He also wanted an environmentally friendly vehicle as owning one is "responsible citizenship these days."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/te...st-scam-modern-times

Bazootiehead-in-training

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting out the EV revolution.

I drive to work and park in a DOJ building. We are still not fully back in the office, so the garage is nowhere close to full.

But the EV stations are often full by 9 a.m., and I somehow doubt people can be counted upon to come down mid-day and move their vehicles to make way for others.

It feels like EVs are being dumped on the market too far in advance of charging capacity. I can't have a super expensive car that I can only drive close enough to my own house in case it needs to be recharged.

I think I am not the target market for those cars. I get sweaty palms when my Mini warns me I am getting low on fuel. "Getting low" in Mini's eyes means 89 miles of range, and there are gas stations on every corner.

I would have heart palpitations if I got low in an EV.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
A Canadian man is calling electric vehicles the "biggest scam of modern times" after his frustrating experience with an electric truck.

Dalbir Bala, who lives in the Winnipeg area, bought a Ford F150 Lightning EV in January for $115,000, plus tax. He told FOX Business he needed the vehicle for his work, but also wanted something suitable for recreational activities such as driving to his cabin or going fishing. He also wanted an environmentally friendly vehicle as owning one is "responsible citizenship these days."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/te...st-scam-modern-times

Not a deep thinker, this guy.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Seems like a story made for FOX...

Who plans an EV trip without making specific plans for charging?

Even in our neighborhood, there are complaints about people taking up EV charging/parking spots at Walgreens all day.

I just noticed the other day on a walk, one of the local public garages in a high-rise banned all EV Chevy Bolts.

Still, plenty of happy EV drivers out there!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post