well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your FB Use..What is next?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your FB Use..What is next?
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Welp. Here's a report on possible business impacts of leaving Facebook.

I posted the cover of my new book on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram yesterday.

I have roughly the same number of followers on my FB author page and my Twitter account. I've got about half as many on my personal FB page. I have barely even gone to Instagram, so I only have 10% of the following I've got on my author page and Twitter. There's some overlap among the followers of the different accounts, but not a lot.

I had about 7% engagement on my personal page, which is pretty good but perhaps not a valid test since a lot of them are my friends. It's especially good since I'm sure FB didn't show the post to everybody, but the number they showed it to is apparently a state secret.

On my author page, they only showed the post to 16% of my followers, but 13% of them engaged with the post, which I think is excellent. If I want more of the people who specifically said they wanted to see my posts to actually see them, I have to cross FB's palm with silver.

On Instagram, where I never ever go, I had engagement of 16% of my entire account. Methinks I need to spend more time on Instagram. Does this make sense? Isn't Instagram for people who look at pictures, whereas I'm trying to promote something to read? I don't know, but the people who do the marketing for my publisher are very high on Instagram.

On Twitter, where I've spent a lot of time lately and made great professional contacts for my academic job, I had 0.35% engagement. I enjoy Twitter, but I'm wasting my time there as a novelist.

I have now crossed FB's palm with a tiny amount of silver. I probably will do the same on IG. If the results are interesting, I will let you know but, in short, I'm making Zuckerberg richer and I hate it.

I get much more engagement on IG than I do on FB, and my following on IG is about 3.5x that on FB so it makes sense. I don’t pay for ads. Yet. Let me know how your results go! I’m having a lot of fun with my new book. My only book!

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new book!

I'll let you know how the ads go.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
If there was a "like" button on this form I would have hit it for all these post.

Let's see...

I got up to like 2500 friends at one point and then slashed to 333. Some of your work casualties. For that I apologize. But it just was too much managing and I had a bit of a meltdown and I didn't want everybody to know that I wasn't perfect.

Facebook is now dystopia.period. it's got robots making usually incorrect decisions about posts because they don't get nuance, or intent, or puns etc.

One friend posted a Wikipedia entry for the Planet Earth and got a 30-day suspension.

I was suspended from Facebook live for 30 days for posting a video of my local commuter train running down the street.

And we just have to roll with it we don't have any choice. It is truly dystopia.

I deleted Facebook Messenger because it listens to everything. I have WhatsApp but I have it on my other phone that is wifi-only. I haven't turned on Instagram yet.

If a post makes me feel self-righteous indignation I just post it to "only me" because frankly I think the entire world is dealing from exhaustion from January 6th still.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post