well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your FB Use..What is next?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your FB Use..What is next?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have spent far too much time on FB with my delusions of saving the world. Smiler
Plan to cut back severely. FB is not good for the mind.

I keep up with friends and family.

Also keep up with AA via Facebook. The local meetings are masked.
I can understand about one in twenty people when they speak through a mask, so I don't go.
Meetings are important.

Have no doubt a boycott would fail.

Posted this. Found myself back on FB minutes later. facepalm

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Have spent far too much time on FB with my delusions of saving the world. Smiler

I can understand about one in twenty people when they speak through a mask, so I don't go.
Meetings are important.

But I like your posts there!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:

Meetings are important.

But I like your posts there!

Thank you very much.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I've found that if I post on political thread FB sends me more of them. Now I scroll right past them.

The most useful thing on there has been "Buy Nothing Yorba Linda". You post things you want to give away and you can also post what you are looking for. I've given away a ton of stuff.

Best is that I've gotten nearly all of my moving boxes and packing materials from that group. Going by the cost of the few boxes I've had to purchase I'll bet we saved over $1000. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34988 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Woman lost 80 lbs after she gave up social media:
https://www.foxnews.com/lifest...-delete-social-media

Posts: 12701 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I use FB a lot. I get rid of things on marketplace and belong to several FB groups which are probably its best selling point. There are a few classical music groups that I particularly enjoy in addition to some running & Fitness groups.

One thing that I found amusing is how ads seem to turn up in funny ways. By way of example, I have never attended a hockey game. I don't watch hockey. I could care less about hockey. But a couple of Christmases ago, I was around some relatives who were saying they wanted to attend a Blackhawks game on New Years Eve. I opened my FB - and there was an ad for Blackhawks tickets. I hadn't typed anything about hockey or said anything about it - just in the room with people who talked about it. //Twilight Zone Music//

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Same here. I had never seen or thought about the movie "Toy Story" until I watched it with my grandson and texted my friend about it. Yesterday I started getting advertisements for it on my feed. Coincidence?

I am testing it. I've texted my friend about how much I want to buy a boat (I don't) and asked him about which engines to look at.

Now we wait.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34988 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It’s creepy. I’ve noticed this too. It’s like your phone is recording you and sending info to Facebook.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
And Zuck has made himself fabulously wealthy

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
And his college roommate *still* insists that Zuck stole the idea from him.

I am inclined to believe it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
And his college roommate *still* insists that Zuck stole the idea from him.

I am inclined to believe it.

I thought the story was that the rich twins who hired him to code the looks ranking of Harvard freshwomen claimed he had taken advantage of them.

Maybe the first step was that Zuck's room-mate had the brainstorm about the market for such a ranking.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t access FB for the last two days. Blank screen. But it just came back online a minute ago. I had to find other ways to occupy my time. Big Grin

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Welp. Here's a report on possible business impacts of leaving Facebook.

I posted the cover of my new book on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram yesterday.

I have roughly the same number of followers on my FB author page and my Twitter account. I've got about half as many on my personal FB page. I have barely even gone to Instagram, so I only have 10% of the following I've got on my author page and Twitter. There's some overlap among the followers of the different accounts, but not a lot.

I had about 7% engagement on my personal page, which is pretty good but perhaps not a valid test since a lot of them are my friends. It's especially good since I'm sure FB didn't show the post to everybody, but the number they showed it to is apparently a state secret.

On my author page, they only showed the post to 16% of my followers, but 13% of them engaged with the post, which I think is excellent. If I want more of the people who specifically said they wanted to see my posts to actually see them, I have to cross FB's palm with silver.

On Instagram, where I never ever go, I had engagement of 16% of my entire account. Methinks I need to spend more time on Instagram. Does this make sense? Isn't Instagram for people who look at pictures, whereas I'm trying to promote something to read? I don't know, but the people who do the marketing for my publisher are very high on Instagram.

On Twitter, where I've spent a lot of time lately and made great professional contacts for my academic job, I had 0.35% engagement. I enjoy Twitter, but I'm wasting my time there as a novelist.

I have now crossed FB's palm with a tiny amount of silver. I probably will do the same on IG. If the results are interesting, I will let you know but, in short, I'm making Zuckerberg richer and I hate it.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15520 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I am really active on instagram - the draw is the photos and the videos, but my feed is mostly about dissemination of information, descriptions of what I’m doing and how (pigment and paint making and artwork) and then back and forth discussions with other artists that happen in the comments or in private messages. It’s about figuring out the right hashtags to draw more people in, and using unique hashtags (for example, #kjodigearpastels) which give me the ability to bring up all the posts one a specific thing I do - helpful when you are trying to find a post from the past. I am able to sell things using instagram, and I can direct people from there to my website and blog (where there is an actual store that I don’t use that much). I don’t know how it works for authors, but it’s a really effective medium for paint makers and artists - a way to reach and sell to a ton of people all over the place - I sometimes end up direct messaging to answer questions with folks from different countries that are using computer translators to talk to me - it’s absolutely fascinating.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20471 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
... in short, I'm making Zuckerberg richer and I hate it.
You can write a fictitious character like him into one of your books and give that fictitious character a horrible death. Evil

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12701 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post