well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The house hunting thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The house hunting thread
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your encouraging words, WTG.

quote:
This thread was about the gap around the garage floor

I anticipated that it would go beyond the garage gap, hence the thread title... so as long as y'all are ok with it, I'll continue to share the ups and downs as they come. WhoMe

We're on the schedule to see the other house tomorrow morning... I was just looking at google earth, there are a lot of trees in the back of that house. Which is nice, but we also spent a lot of money having some dangerous trees removed from our property at the old house...

We'll try to be clear eyed and dispassionate tomorrow. (we'll see how that works.. Big Grin

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18615 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
And the other house has an offer on it to. We have the option to put in an offer but we decided not to. We're just not that enthusiastic about it, and I don't want to get in a bidding war.

Ok, back to the starting point.

Posts: 18615 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It's a super tight market here for housing for 'normal' people. By that, I mean a decent neighborhood with a reasonable commute, and an affordable price.

My daughter and husband (I still get a jolt when I say "husband" Big Grin ) just bought a house at the end of the year. They looked at a LOT of properties, and found it useful. It helped them narrow down what they really wanted and, when they found one that ticked enough of their boxes they were ready to put an offer in pretty much the next day after discussing it overnight.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a super tight market here for housing for 'normal' people. By that, I mean a decent neighborhood with a reasonable commute, and an affordable price.

Same here.

quote:
They looked at a LOT of properties, and found it useful. It helped them narrow down what they really wanted and, when they found one that ticked enough of their boxes they were ready to put an offer in pretty much the next day after discussing it overnight.

We will get to this point, I think. I just don't think we're there yet.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I recall the realtor I used to sell Mom's condo said that the number of listings rises dramatically after the Super Bowl. People get serious about selling.

Wonder if you'll start to see a lot more properties going on the market soon...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38020 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the number of listings rises dramatically after the Super Bowl.

Ooh, that makes sense actually. So that gives us hope! Smiler

In other news, a coworker told me that a neighbor is getting ready to sell his house, probably for-sale-by-owner. We've seen enough of it to be interested.

If we're working with an agent but the seller is not, is there anything we should be wary of? I've heard that FSBO sales can sometimes be a hassle so I want to be prepared.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'd say a lot depends upon how much the seller knows about the market and home selling in general. In theory at least, agents get paid a commission because they provide knowledge about home buying/selling, and they bring a certain amount of detachment and predictability to the process. Some FSBO sellers have an inflated idea of their home's value. Or they're just super frugal and will refuse to budge on price even if a home inspection raises issues.

Agents can act as a buffer between (possibly) emotional buyers and sellers. In the same breath, of course, the agents want to make deals happen, so they are also acting in their own interest. I could see a buyer's agent potentially having to do more work to compensate for a seller who might not be familiar with the ropes, or who has unreasonable expectations about home value. So even if the seller is willing to pay the regular buyer's agent commission, that agent might end up doing more work than if the seller had a competent agent in place. And being human, if they're dealing with a seller that is a PITA, they may guide you away from the sale so they can save themselves headaches.

I've seen FSBOs that went super smoothly, and others that ran into obstacles.

FSBO issues:

https://www.businessinsider.co...r-sale-by-owner?op=1

This stood out for me

quote:
Prepare legal documents. Sellers have to prepare paperwork such as the sales contract and residential property disclosure form. Depending on the complexity of the sale, it might make sense to work with an attorney. "Unless a seller is a licensed agent or broker, an FSBO seller may not be aware of all the disclosures that are required to provide a buyer nor be aware of the local rules and regulations," says Morales. "This may open a seller to litigation risk."

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38020 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That's super helpful, WTG.. it makes me wonder if my agent will balk at the suggestion...

I'm not going to bring it up unless I think we're truly interested... The owner said he would send more photos, but it sounds like they have redone almost everything, *except* the kitchen. It's a mid-1980s house. So maybe that means the kitchen is dated but mostly fine and we could get a great deal... or we could be stuck trying to do a complicated and expensive remodel.

We need more info, obviously. And I will tread carefully with the FSBO details.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You may get a better feel about the seller and the house in general as you get more info. If the seller isn't responsive, is difficult, or has an unreasonable expectation of home value, you may decide not to bother.

OTOH, if you totally fall in love and it's the house for you and your agent balks at the deal, you are under no obligation to use them even though they've been working with you so far. As I said, they are human and will work in their best interest, as you are entitled to do also.

Paging Steve Miller....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
When we’ve bought FSBO properties we’ve always used our regular agent for market analysis and to handle the paperwork.

The paperwork these days is absurdly complicated and varies by state. Having someone take care of it is worth everything we paid for their service.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35009 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, oh definitely! I wouldn't want to do a home purchase without my own agent!

She's super experienced, so probably if we want to pursue this FSBO house, she'll know what to do and be able to handle it. I just don't want to make her grumpy. Ole

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify...I didn't mean that I wouldn't use an agent for a FSBO. If my current agent declined, I would find another agent.

quote:
I just don't want to make her grumpy.

I understand where you're coming from, but she's a professional who gets paid a lot of money to do this. It's not like she's a friend doing a favor and you don't want to inconvenience her... Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I suspect she’ll be fine with it. She’ll be making a sale without having to drag you around looking at houses - possibly for months.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35009 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG and Steve, all good points!

I'm still waiting for the photos from the FSBO owner, so we'll see.

btw, Steve, re this:

quote:
She’ll be making a sale without having to drag you around looking at houses - possibly for months.

Indeed, I think we would both prefer this!!

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I recall the realtor I used to sell Mom's condo said that the number of listings rises dramatically after the Super Bowl. People get serious about selling.

Wonder if you'll start to see a lot more properties going on the market soon...

Also around the school calendar - lots of folks who are waiting to move until after the school year will start listing late March - April.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post