well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anyone here Zoom?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here Zoom?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Original sound only applies to input. So if you don't have it set, then your mic is using Zoom's algorithms.

However, for some reason, guitars still work pretty good with that, so I would imagine it's the same for banjo.

Piano OTOH is awful without original sound on.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally got around to looking at the recording. It's not completely awful.

I borrowed a Blue Yeti mic. It was great for the music, but the speaking was really crumbly. I probably should have just left Original Sound on for the entire event. The church's sound tech said he could provide a recording off their board, so that can fill in for anyone who needs to hear what was said.

I did come in late a bit on a couple of the switches between zoom audio and Original audio. But when Original was on, the sound was very good.

I used my external web cam. Huge mistake. It's a top of the line Logitech, but it doesn't focus beyond 10 or 15 feet. It's intended for capturing what's sitting right in front of it. So, the video is all out of focus. It actually looks okay on a phone. On a computer screen, no.

Today, I finally sent the link to the recording to my Friend. I apologized and told her that if she needs my help again, I'll have a much better idea what I'm doing.

Thanks again for your help with all this.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, PJ, I was wondering how it went.

Re
quote:
I used my external web cam. Huge mistake. It's a top of the line Logitech, but it doesn't focus beyond 10 or 15 feet.

Oh wow, I hadn't thought about that! During the pandemic, my uni installed all these fancy web cams that hang down from the ceiling and they're meant to capture a whole room. So I've only ever either used a laptop web cam for up close meetings, or the room system for classroom meetings.

I thought everyone in this thread did a great job of helping you prep for all the contingencies, but that was one that none of us thought of!

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Apparently one can also use an iPhone as a webcam, but it takes some apps and a bunch of monkeying around. The iPhone has a great camera. The guy from whom I borrowed the mic says he has an adapter to hook it up to an iPhone, but it’s in his basement “somewhere”.

I could also use one of my DSLRs, but I think I’d need an external power supply to keep it running for an hour and a half.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
One more question, if I might: when I send people the link to the recording, can I have it default to captons OFF? Zoom made some very very bad interpretations of what people said. In fact, can I eliminate the captions entirely?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I know that captions can be edited after the fact, but you probably don’t want to do that bc it would take forever.

There’s a ton of helpful info and how-to stuff online for Zoom, so maybe try a few variations on “can captions be removed from Zoom video” or “can captions be turned off in Zoom video”?