well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anyone here Zoom?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here Zoom?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I have attended Zoom meetings. I helped host a large Zoom-based event with multiple breakouts and stuff - I was also tasked with recording the sessions.

A friend just asked me if I could manage to Zoom-stream her mother’s memorial service. Her mom was 90 and many of her friends are also seniors and won’t be able to attend. She’d also like the Zoom stream recorded.

I guess I need to get a Zoom account to be able to host this. My understanding is that you can’t record using a phone or iPad, you need a computer for Zoom to download the recording.

Is this correct?

I’ve been thinking about setting up two or three devices to show what’s happening at the front of the church, plus the audience, and the various musical offerings (there will be several). So one of these could be a laptop so I can download the recording.

Any suggestions or advice?

The service is next Friday.

Thank you.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
My condolences to your friend!

Here's how I would answer your questions based on my experience not just with teaching on Zoom but also with running a Zoom conference.

1. I believe you do need an account, mainly because AFAIK, there's a time limit imposed on the free accounts, and you don't want the Zoom session to close midway through. You can probably get a one-month membership, and then cancel after you get the recording?

2. I think you can do it from a phone or ipad, but it will probably be easier if you can use a laptop because the functions will be easier to access.

3. Assuming you have a paid account (I don't know what the rules are for free accounts) the recording gives you the option of recording to the cloud or to your device. I can't remember if you can do both, but I always record to the cloud and then later you get a link. This makes it easier to share than if you have a massive video file on one device's hard drive.

4. If you're using multiple devices (ETA: multiple devices all basically in the same room), the big thing is to have only one device with its mic and audio on. All the other devices should have both mics and audio muted.

5. This will work better if you have a Zoom-proficient person set up as Zoom host and they're on Zoom rather than at the funeral. ETA: this way they can monitor the sound, it you want to use a waiting room, they can admit people, also mute Zoom-attendees as needed, and so on, without being distracted by what's happening in the room.

6. If your friend knows anyone with a university Zoom account, they might be able to help and then you wouldn't need to purchase your own account.

Hope this helps!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ax is the one who set up and hosted the couple of WTF virtual piano parties that we had at the beginning of the pandemic. He did it using Zoom.

I don't know how often he is checking in here. You might want to PM him and point to this thread.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. I believe you do need an account, mainly because AFAIK, there's a time limit imposed on the free accounts, and you don't want the Zoom session to close midway through. You can probably get a one-month membership, and then cancel after you get the recording? This is true. Free use has a 40 minute stop time.

2. I think you can do it from a phone or ipad, but it will probably be easier if you can use a laptop because the functions will be easier to access. You will need to access both a camera and a microphone. Usually this is most easily done with a computer. Phone cameras are pretty good, but video is awful. You can set up a small laptop, get it all set up so the camera is pointing in the correct direction. If you have an external mic that you can attach to the speaker area, it's a good idea - otherwise you will pick up all sorts of ambient noise.
3. Assuming you have a paid account (I don't know what the rules are for free accounts) the recording gives you the option of recording to the cloud or to your device. I can't remember if you can do both, but I always record to the cloud and then later you get a link. This makes it easier to share than if you have a massive video file on one device's hard drive. Also a good idea to store it to the cloud. The files can be massive. Also it takes a fair bit of time to generate the file after you close the session, but you will get notice of it to whatever account you used to set up your zoom profile.

4. If you're using multiple devices (ETA: multiple devices all basically in the same room), the big thing is to have only one device with its mic and audio on. All the other devices should have both mics and audio muted. When you set up the zoom, you can set it up so anyone logging in has their camera off and their microphone muted. DO THIS.

5. This will work better if you have a Zoom-proficient person set up as Zoom host and they're on Zoom rather than at the funeral. ETA: this way they can monitor the sound, it you want to use a waiting room, they can admit people, also mute Zoom-attendees as needed, and so on, without being distracted by what's happening in the room.

6. If your friend knows anyone with a university Zoom account, they might be able to help and then you wouldn't need to purchase your own account.

Also, are you expecting to have attendees watch live, or are you just recording the service for later log-in. If the latter then things are much easier--no need to send out invitations, worry about getting everyone logged in, waiting rooms, muting microphones BEYOND HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO DO THIS), yada yada.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
1. Zoom records to the cloud first, you can download the recording from the cloud to your local device later.

2. Each attendee will be notified that recording is being done and that they have to click something to signal consent. Nothing wrong with that process (and it’s necessary to get consent), just that it might confuse some virtual attendees that may be less familiar with online meeting.

Condolences for your friend, hope all goes well for the funeral and the Zoom live streaming.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I don't use it much.
My only suggestion is to do a dry run well beforehand. There are many ways to screw it up.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yes to all of what Nina said, which reminds me: depending on the laptop, the internal mic may not be good at all for this kind of event. But you can get an inexpensive external mic (USB) and it makes a huge difference.

All during the pandemic, I taught online (on Zoom) with a snowball mic, then when we went back to in-person, I got an additional USB mic so I could have one at home and one in my office. I think the snowball was $50 but the other one was maybe more like $15, purchased on Amazon, but you can surely find them in Best Buy, Target etc. so there's still time to do that before the funeral.

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
PJ, have they checked with the church? Our church has a zoom account, cameras, microphones, everything. We have hybrid services (they’re really in person, but we keep zooming for some who are not able to come in person).

Just wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed anything too obvious…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Good call AdagioM! Wouldn't that be great if the church is all set up!

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I rarely zoom, but my cats have all been excellent at zoomies.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Good call AdagioM! Wouldn't that be great if the church is all set up!

I sang at a friend’s memorial service in June, and we live-streamed the service on the church zoom account. Didn’t think to ask to record it, but it was possible to do that, too.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
First, thank you all for the ideas.

The church may or may not have equipment and a Zoom account, but they have a handout with instructions on how to livestream with your own equipment, so I think they are suggesting that you are on your own. There is a contact at the church, they only contact information is an e-mail address, and she's only available Tuesdays and Thursdays. I sent an e-mail.

The church has wi-fi, but the handout suggests that a cell phone on a cell signal is better. Not sure why.

They have a good sound system and the handout says the sound is good everywhere except at the far right end of the front row of pews (where many people would be likely to set up). It says there are no outlets except way at the back. I'm leery of running an extension cord all the way down to the front, even with a strip of gaffer's tape over it. So if I do set up a laptop, it will be at the back. I have a really good Logitech USB camera/stereo mic.

So, I may be on the phone. I have an iphone 10 or 11 or something. It has a good camera and mic (I think there is a mic on the back). I'll bring a couple backup power packs.

I now recall that when I was a session host for the event a year ago, I signed up for a free Zoom account. I just logged into it. It still exists. It does say that meetings are limited to 40 mins for the free account. I got an offer to upgrade to Zoom Pro Extra Special Whiz-Bango. $16 a month with one free trial week or $150 a year with one free trial month. I guess I could sign up, get the free week, and cancel before they start charging. Friend says the estate will reimburse me for whatever, so maybe I'll just pay for a month in case they throw ads out during the free week. Again, any thoughts on this?

I also recall that the organizer of that event had us record to our own computers, then upload the file to his server or something like that. I think I still have his notes somewhere. The only thing I remember clearly was he said to use "original audio" since it was a music thing -- I guess Zoom will try to "improve" the audio which actually makes it worse. Friend's mother was a musician and music teacher. There will be organ music, piano music, harp music, and a bell choir over the course of the service.

As soon as I get situated, I will draft a note for Friend to send to the remote participants with the link to the meeting and letting them know that they will all be muted, etc.

I will do several dry runs.

Cocoa does the zoomies a couple times a week. Rusty usually only zooms when he's chasing Cocoa through the house.

Thanks again.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe I'll just pay for a month in case they throw ads out during the free week. Again, any thoughts on this?

What do you mean by throwing ads? There won't be any ads during the Zoom session, if that's what you mean?

Re the phone question, what kind of cell phone do you have? You'll most surely need to have it plugged in because the zooming will eat the battery super fast.

I guess the big thing is to get the phone app and make sure you know how to control the audio selection and so on. Then I still think you will want someone Zoom savvy to be monitoring the situation from a laptop. Cellphone screens just don't have enough real estate.

Whether to use original audio or not is a tricky question, because I assume the service will have music, so you'll want original sound for that, but when there's only talking, it might be better to switch back to regular audio. When it's just speech, Zoom's algorithms actually do a good job with filtering out unneeded sounds without messing up the actual speech sounds.

But again, if the main device is the phone, it will be hard to switch back and forth between the two audio settings.

When you correspond with the church rep, ask about the wi fi, because I just feel like things will go much more smoothly if you can use a laptop.

I wonder if you could use your cellphone as a wifi hotspot, and then do the Zoom from your laptop? That's a question for your cellular provider, but that's maybe where I would start if the church wifi really isn't an option.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Actually, as I think about it, here's the best device set up IMO.

A laptop (obvs)

An external webcam with built in mic.

Set the webcam on the laptop, but turn it so it's facing the service. Then you can run the Zoom meeting, and change between audio settings etc., from the laptop without your face being in the meeting.

Alternative:
If you do use a cellphone, get a good quality tripopd (if you don't have one), plus a cellphone clamp (I don't know what they're called, but it will allow you to attach the cell phone to the tripod, the same way that we used to with a camera).

Make sure to use the cellphone's main camera (back of phone, not the selfie camera), so the monitor/screen is facing you. Then managing the Zoom controls might not be horrible....

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Thanks, sk

I have an iPhone 11. It’s in an Otterbox Defender. I have a phone clamp that goes on a regular camera tripod, but the Otterbox barely fits in it. I can probably find a bigger one for a few bucks. And a regular camera tripod is good because you can adjust each leg individually - good on a sloping floor in the church sanctuary.

If I can’t run power up to the phone, I have several external power packs. I need to ask Friend how long the service will be (then double that).

I just don’t think a laptop is going to fly, but I’m ready with one if it does.

I might set up a computer at home and ask Mrs pj to record the session from there. I think you have to be a host or co-host to record.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com