well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Submarine exploring Titanic is missing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Submarine exploring Titanic is missing
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A search and rescue mission was underway Monday for a submarine that went missing in the North Atlantic on an expedition to explore the wreckage of the Titanic. Lt. Jordan Hart of the U.S. Coast Guard in Boston told CBS News that personnel were "currently undergoing a search and rescue operation" when asked about the rescue efforts off the coast of Newfoundland.

"The 5 person crew submerged Sunday morning, and the crew of the Polar Prince" — the ship that ferried the submersible and expedition members to the dive site — "lost contact with them approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes into the vessel's dive," the Coast Guard said in a tweet.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/t...newfoundland-canada/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38024 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
What a gruesome way to die.

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The media use the terms submarine and submersible loosely. This is a submersible, not a submarine. A submersible is incapable of operating independently of the mother ship.

Apparently, they have lost touch with a submersible before, and then contact was restored.

Posts: 12578 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pointing out that distinction, P*D. I didn't catch that initially.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38024 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Would it be naive of me to ask why the submersible was not physically tethered to the mother ship?

OK, I’ll slink away now.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13835 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Tourists?

I used to have only positive thoughts about tourists. I knew a trip to Hawaii was a once in a lifetime experience for many of them. I didn't want them to be disappointed.

I began to realize most of them where either dumb or thought they were visiting a kind of jungle Disney World.

I loathed them after about fifteen years. The couple who dead stopped in the middle of a 35 mph road to read a map causing me to wreck my Honda were the last straw.

Don't get me wrong. I hope they are rescued.

I just think people should stop this **** of vacationing at the bottom of the sea and blabbing about sending Bugattis to space.

There's a reason Mt. Everest is littered with dead bodies.

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Would it be naive of me to ask why the submersible was not physically tethered to the mother ship?

OK, I’ll slink away now.

That is much too rational for this world.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25746 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

OK, I’ll slink away now.

Same question I asked. I can't imagine why anyone would get on one otherwise.

Apparently it would not be such a gruesome way to die, but instantaneous if it imploded. It's like 5,200 PSI at that depth. If any leak at all occurred, it would crumple like tinfoil.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13587 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking it's at least in part because the Titanic is 13,000 feet down. That's a lot of tether.

Not looking too good for the crew right now. Update:

https://apnews.com/article/tit...d9f1e8d262dc7ce0135e

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
That's a lot of tether.

That's what I was thinking. It would be very heavy and bulky.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15522 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not looking too good for the crew right now. Update:

Best case: they're bobbing on the surface undetected (so far).

Probable case: explosive compression, over in an instant.

Worst case: immobile at the bottom, running out of air, and no one could likely rescue them even in the unlikely event the they pinged on a sonar scan.

Posts: 12578 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
National Geographic
6 questions on recovering the submersible.
possibilities

I can see the page from that URL. Hope it works for you

Posts: 25746 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Says it's premium content. Reader view doesn't work.

Frowner

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"If Titan is at the bottom of the ocean, how would they get people out?
First, you need a vessel that can also travel to the extreme depths around Titanic—and there’s very few of them on the planet.

Even if there were a submarine capable of traveling to the area, there would be no way to transfer passengers from Titan to the rescue sub—because the submersible has no hatch. The vessel’s novel carbon fiber composite and titanium structure was designed to withstand the extreme pressure of the Titanic environment, but the design requires the passengers to be literally “drilled shut” into the craft from outside.

Any recovery of people would need to be done at the surface. So another possibility is that a non-crewed submersible, like an ROV, or remotely operated vehicle, can somehow secure Titan on the seafloor and bring it to the surface."

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
How absolutely horrifying!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18616 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post