well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What is it? Tool time
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it? Tool time
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
postimages.org is up, but I just checked i.postimg.cc, which is the URL for uploaded images, and it seems to be down.

That's why we can't see the photos in this thread.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Ah, now I see the images.

I agree about the first being a reamer. I think the second may be a tubing flaring tool, but it it is, the mating piece to clamp the tubing is not present.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think we have a winner! As soon as I read Big Al's description to Mr wtg, he not only agreed, but said he thinks the other part of the tool may be in a toolbox that we haven't gone through yet. He even described it, down to the wing nuts...

ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The other part of the pipe flaring tool:

How to flare tubing:

We don't have the double flaring attachments.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Twenty-five or thirty years ago, we scavenged a bunch of stuff from an old two flat that had been in the family of Mr wtg's former co-worker for almost a hundred years. Here's the house at 1923 N Howe in Chicago. It looked nothing like this when we saw it in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...614/2111210768_zpid/

The family patriarch was a man named Max Haidl, who also had a son named Max J Haidl.

The family was big on putting their name or initials on their belongings. We found monogrammed bath and hand towels, and one or the other of the Maxes seemed to be big on marking his work tools.

Next tool, probably not much of a challenge to identify. But when I opened the box and saw Max's name and the date scrawled inside, I felt like I was holding a little bit of someone's life in my hands.

The obits for father and son. Note that Max Sr. was waked at home:

https://www.findagrave.com/mem.../161750013/max-haidl

https://www.findagrave.com/mem.../maximillian-j-haidl

The tool, in a dirty little red box, all taped up:

Out of the box, with the tool opened up. About three or four inches long.

Max's name and the date inside the box lid:

Emma Weisbecker, the last of the Haidls, the one who was still living on Howe up to the late 1980s. Emma was the elder Max's daughter.

https://www.findagrave.com/mem...emma-anna-weisbecker

RIP, Haidls and Weisbeckers.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Another puzzler. Maybe 8 or 10 inches long.

Max put his name on this one, too:

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
First is a set of thread gages; second is a handle used with taps (threading tools).

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Right again! We have the taps but I thought I'd see if anyone recognized the tool without them.

OK, how about this? About 12" long.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
At that size, probably for sheep shearing.
Smaller versions used for topiary and my wife has some for bonsai

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 384 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I should have known that AD would get that last one...the company that made it is still in business in Sheffield.

https://www.burgonandball.com/

Sheep shearing tools:

https://www.burgonandball.com/...tions/sheep-shearing

Bazootiehead-in-training