well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What is it? Tool time
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it? Tool time
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We're going through the drawers in the workbench down in the basement and getting rid of tools that we no longer have a use for. Or that we never had a use for but hung onto anyway. They are vintage tools that either belonged to Mr wtg's grandfather (who was a plumber) or that we scavenged from an estate where a family had lived in a three flat for the last ninety years.

Thought I'd post some of them and see if anyone can identify what they are. We'll start with these two.

This one is about four inches wide and five inches long:

And this one is maybe six inches wide and five inches tall. There's a tiny bit of red paint on some parts of the tool.

What are they?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Easy for me. Maybe I’ll wait to see what others say.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
First one is a reamer - I first used one as a bassoon student when making reeds and needing to widen out the part that fits on to the bocal (mouthpiece tube part)

Handy to widen out a hole just a bit, or remove a burr left behind from drilling...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
First one might be called an awl.

The lower one may a tool for removing a rod from a bushing or bearing.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
What is the prize?

Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The lower one is a bearing puller, and that one looks like it was designed for a very specific application. Most of them are more adjustable than that one is.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We don't actually know what these tools were used for, which is why I posted them. Big Grin

We guessed the first one is some sort of reamer/deburring tool. We were just wondering if it had a particular use, based on its size. It did belong to a plumber, but the actual part used for reaming seemed like it's an odd size (which I neglected to note in the OP - half inch at the widest, and probably five inches long) to be used for deburring the inside of a water pipe. The material that's accumulated in the grooves, mostly up at the top, seems to be something white.

We had no clue what the second one is. Chas and Steve, you guys seem to be on the same track. Got any more info/guesses? Steve, got a link to the type with tools that have more adjustments? Just curious.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
That second one looks (almost) like it was made for inserting wine corks.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
search "bearing puller" and you will see how most of them are adjustable to hold the outer part while the cone part is used to press out the bearing.

The one you pictured was probably for a specific application. You mentioned plumber, so instead of a bearing, perhaps pushing a specific type of valve apart?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post

Any ideas for this tool? It's 11 inches long, flat 1/8 inch unsharpened blade on all edges
Made in London in 19th century, bought from Cornwall
(Hope image works)

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I couldn't see the image in AD's post, so I uploaded it from ebay to postimages.

No clue as to what it is, but I could see it being handy in the garden. Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We took a closer look and could see that our reamer has General USA stamped on it.

You can still buy the reamer, made by the same company, General.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ge...Reamer-130/309489883

We are pretty sure the white residue is from wallboard or plaster...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Adjustable bearing puller.

I have several like this.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
????

I can't see the images so I don't have a guess. The WTF site seems to be getting buggier and buggier.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, we've been having problems with WTF. See this thread that talks about various problems, including the inability to see an image or an emoticon:

https://well-temperedforum.gro...0004433/m/4603906897

Two things you can try while we try to figure out what's going on, and if it can be fixed...

1) Try another browser.

2) If you're on a laptop, try a right click on the icon for the image you can't see, and choose "Open image in new tab" and then switch to that tab to see it. This option isn't always available.

eta:

3) It could also be a problem with postimages, which I use to host my photos. I tried to upload some pics this morning and something weird is going on, and now I can't see the images in this thread either. So it's possible it's not the forum software for this particular issue.

Once again, sorry for the problems.

Bazootiehead-in-training