well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What to Do and See in Montreal

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to Do and See in Montreal
 Login/Join

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted
Can anyone recommend what to do and see in Montreal?

I’ll be in Montreal, QC either later this summer or early fall. I used to live in Syracuse, NY, a few hours drive away but I never got around to going to Montreal. Oh, and I can’t speak a word of French but I don’t think it matters or does it?

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
See the gay section. It is a few blocks of OMG we are not in Kansas anymore.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25722 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
You will be fine in Montreal without speaking a word of French. (Quebec City is the one that is more French-centric.)

Enjoy “Old Montreal.” Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12696 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Montreal is fabulous! Most people speak English so don’t worry about that. Check out whatever is happening at the Quartier des Spectacles while you are there. It’s an area that is often closed to traffic for street festivals.

Also, head to St. Viateur Bagels in the Jewish area of town if you can. Buy a bagel (or a dozen) still warm from the oven and immediately upon walking out of the store eat one plain out of the bag. They are heavenly. There will be a line but it moves very fast and it’s worth it.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
yeah but don't go shopping for kosher meat.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’ve also heard the bagels are great, but haven’t been to Montreal to try them.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post