well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What news outlets do you subscribe to?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What news outlets do you subscribe to?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The South China Morning Post is pretty good, too.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Tangential question: if you do have a hyperlocal newspaper but their reporting and other content is crap, should you still subscribe for the praiseworthy goal of keeping local papers alive? I am speaking here (in my case) of the Staten Island Advance (silive.com)

That depends. Who owns the paper? If it is a publicly traded corporation, they have no interest in providing a public service, they are just mining for ad dollars. I would not subscribe.

If it's a privately owned paper, run by journalists and not bean counters, I would support them. Though typically if they are privately owned and run, they are not producing crap.

ETA: I got curious. The SIA is owned by Advance Publications, the same company that owns Conde Nast group, which includes the New Yorker. I have written for them and they have very stringent ethical rules for their writers and reporters. They are privately held by the Newhouse family. I also took a quick peek at the SIA and it looks like it is better than the average local paper. At least they have original reporting, which many local papers no longer do.

I vote subscribe.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I canceled the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times when I figured out I can access the digital versions for free using my local library card. I also get the New Yorker this way. I look at these and the Guardian most days.

What a great tip. I have two different library cards. I'll have to check if I can do this!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My wife still loves the tactile process of reading the NYT in print.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re libraries - having access to a university library, I have always assumed that if I can't get what I'm looking for through them, I can't get it at a city library, but maybe that's not right... it's probably worth looking into.

Also re library access for NYT, can you access games that way? (I'm thinking no?)

In general, I want access to digital editions and to be able to access the whole publication, not specific articles. But, re the Atlantic, there have been several times recently that I've wanted to get access to one of their articles (online edition), and worked with a reference librarian, and ultimately not been able to get it. So that's what started this whole thing.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's what my library says about what I can access from the NYT:

https://www.ahml.info/node/100010567

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Access Error

To access this content, you must be an Arlington Heights resident cardholder, and logged in to your account.

So, what's the Cliff Notes version? Can you do Wordle and Connections? WhoMe

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Whoops! I forgot I was logged in to my library account. I thought the link I posted was public info.

quote:
NEW YORK TIMES / WALL STREET JOURNAL / WASHINGTON POST REMOTE ACCESS

TIP: BOOKMARK THIS PAGE TO QUICKLY RENEW YOUR ACCESS TO THE NEW YORK TIMES, WALL STREET JOURNAL OR WASHINGTON POST

The New York Times

Full access for cardholders to the NYTimes.com News, Cooking and Games websites and apps.

Click the appropriate link below to get 24 hours of unlimited access to each service. You'll need to set up a free account with the NY Times based on your Google/Apple/Facebook profile or an email address and password of your own choosing.* After 24 hours, you will need to revisit this link to reactivate your access.

After activating through the web links below, you can use these services via the NY Times mobile apps for news, food or games for the 24 hour period. Make sure that your app is signed into the same account you used for web access.

UPDATE: iOS users can now also use the NY Times Audio app when they activate news access. At this time, no Android app is available.

Choose your service:

NY Times News / NY Times Audio (iOS app only)
NY Times Cooking
NY Times Games/Crossword

Get the apps:

News: iOS | Android
Crossword/Games: iOS | Android
Cooking: iOS | Android
NOTE: You can still retrieve and search for current and historical full-text articles from the NY Times via Proquest without needing to create a NY Times profile.

(then more instructions for WSJ, etc...)

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ooh, looks promising! I'm pretty sure my uni library access doesn't include games, so I'll check the local library.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

ETA: I got curious. The SIA is owned by Advance Publications, the same company that owns Conde Nast group, which includes the New Yorker. I have written for them and they have very stringent ethical rules for their writers and reporters. They are privately held by the Newhouse family. I also took a quick peek at the SIA and it looks like it is better than the average local paper. At least they have original reporting, which many local papers no longer do.

I vote subscribe.

Good to know. I read SIA online but many of their articles are available to subscribers only. Oddly, for local crime and accidents, the NY Post seems to get there first and publish more data. I think their feature that most annoys me has the headline "How To Watch..." then the name of some TV series. Or "Will SNL Be Live This Week?" Really, check the paper on how to watch TV?

I used to have a sub to the physical paper years ago when it was much more substantial...longer articles, larger format. It seemed worth it then...maybe it still is; I should check it out again. Thank you for the advice.

I too am intrigued by Doug's mention of library access to papers and magazines. I went onto the NY Public Library website but didn't see a link to such a service...but then there are pages where you have to enter your card number and PIN. So maybe that's where the info is.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too am intrigued by Doug's mention of library access to papers and magazines. I went onto the NY Public Library website but didn't see a link to such a service.

Try this....to get detailed info, you'll have to login, but at least you can get an idea of what's available.

I would look under "ACCESS ANYWHERE WITH YOUR LIBRARY CARD", which is on the right side of the page. Flipster, Press Reader, and New Yorker Digital Archive. Also Naxos Music Library...

https://www.nypl.org/about/remote-resources

eta:

Also this:

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2017...zines-and-newspapers

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Also this:

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2017...zines-and-newspapers

Thanks for that! Actually, I do have a library card...I was just too lazy to go look for it at the time, and I'm sure I can get access through the link you provided.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We get NYTimes and WaPo online, but our NYTimes subscription is digital, plus paper on Sundays. We get it this way so we can have Cooking and Games, both of which I use daily. Happy to pay for it because I actually read NYTimes daily, too.

We also subscribe to the local paper, which is an Advance publication. They re-use a lot of syndicated and AP stuff, but they also cover local news. Who else would let me know about the Portland Public Schools teacher strike? Besides the NYTimes? Well, in more detail, anyway.

The Atlantic’s articles look interesting, but I haven’t subscribed. Yet. I did read one article lately via 12 ft ladder, but 12 ft ladder is no more.

I also used to have a subscription to the New Yorker, but I hardly ever read it. It was a gift subscription from my MIL, who renewed hers (and gave a gift) every time they asked her to. Her subscription currently goes into 2026, and Mr. AM has told them not to mail her renewal requests any more. (She has dementia.)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Local paper -delivered every morning
Wall Street Journal - delivered with the mail
NYT - online
New Yorker - delivered with the mail

Huffington Post - online
WTF - online

And Martha has gotten me to watch TV news with CBS mornings, which I like a lot more than I would have predicted.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-mornings/

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Tangential question: if you do have a hyperlocal newspaper but their reporting and other content is crap, should you still subscribe for the praiseworthy goal of keeping local papers alive? I am speaking here (in my case) of the Staten Island Advance (silive.com)

(thread drift)

I stumbled upon this article in silive.com this morning...seems like it's exactly the kind of good, balanced local reporting that we need to see more of and that's worth paying for...much better than the coverage of the same story in the NYPost, which is clickbait-y and intentionally inflammatory...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...deration/ar-AA1hoPwE

(end thread drift)

Bazootiehead-in-training