well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What news outlets do you subscribe to?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What news outlets do you subscribe to?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
I have a subscription to the NYTs and WaPo. Got one of those deals from WaPo, although I don’t really like it all that much…

Lately I find a lot of articles that I’d like to read that are in the Atlantic, and I can’t find a work around. They have a few subscriptions plans so I’m thinking about it.

Does anyone subscribe to the Atlantic? Do you like it? Recommend it?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I subscribe to the Atlantic. There are some really great articles in there. Also some garbage. But usually every month there is an essential essay.

Good news for you! An Atlantic subscription is half price for educators. Go to their subscription page and scroll to the bottom to find this. Also they have a one-month free trial and they even email you to warn you you are about to be billed so you can cancel first.

I have also the NYT, WaPo, and the New Yorker. If I had to choose between the Atlantic and the New Yorker, I would get the New Yorker. The best reporting of any of them.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks pique!

quote:
Also some garbage.

ROTFLMAO no doubt!

Re the New Yorker, I hadn’t thought about that one. Maybe bc I do seem to be able to get articles I want from the New Yorker and I must not be seeking to read New Yorker articles often enough that I come against their paywall.

Anyway I’ll poke around a bit more and try to compare them.

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The New Yorker isn't constantly advertising with links to their stories on FB the way the Atlantic is. But take a look at both their coverage of Israel and the war in Ukraine. Spectacular.

Plus there are cartoons, humor pieces, and crossword puzzles!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
New Yorker subscription offers.

https://www.newyorker.com/v2/o...GE_BANNER_MIDTERMS_0

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I take the Wapo. Bob takes the Times.
Had a subscription to the Atlantic but there seemed to be too much carp I did not read.
I cancelled the Atlantic. It continues to send one or more emails a day.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25720 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I have the NYTimes in paper on Sundays (it’s so large that part of it gets delivered on Saturdays). But that also gets me digital access all week. I used to get Fri-Sat-Sun in paper, but I never got around to reading all of it.

I get WaPo digital access through my daughter.

We get the New Yorker through a (paper) subscription that a relative gives us every Xmas. But it’s only a 9-month sub because I guess that’s cheaper. So we miss out on some issues. And also, since I am not technically the subscriber (i.e. payor) I don’t get digital access (Boo!)

I should probably be reading some good online news sources. Somebody suggested Ground (?) Your suggestions are welcome!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
WaPo, Times, Guardian, Daily Beast and two local papers (digital access). Almost all are on some kind of super deal like $5 per month for a year or something like that.

The only one I read regularly is Daily Beast. Go figure...

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Tangential question: if you do have a hyperlocal newspaper but their reporting and other content is crap, should you still subscribe for the praiseworthy goal of keeping local papers alive? I am speaking here (in my case) of the Staten Island Advance (silive.com)

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only one I read regularly is Daily Beast. Go figure...

Big Grin

RP - re the local paper, good question. We haven’t subscribed to a local paper since we moved back to the U.S., but maybe we should… I need to look at the local paper’s online site…

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
NYTimes
Wapo
WSJ
Chicago Tribune
Atlantic
New Yorker
Harpers
Wired

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
kluurs, that's a big list, do you have paid subscriptions to all of those?

If I were only going to add one, which would you most recommend? (I already have NYT and WaPo, and I don't need WSJ bc I can get that through my uni library, unlike Atlantic, which for their online version at least, I almost always cannot get through the library)

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I canceled the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times when I figured out I can access the digital versions for free using my local library card. I also get the New Yorker this way. I look at these and the Guardian most days.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I canceled the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times when I figured out I can access the digital versions for free using my local library card. I also get the New Yorker this way. I look at these and the Guardian most days.

That's a very useful tip. I currently get the NYT and the WSJ through an employer, but that may not be forever. I subscribe to the WaPo, simply because I felt like there was too much I wanted to read.

And I subscribe to the Athletic, but it's a trial offer that I'll cancel when it expires.

Everything else, I read only if it's free.

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
To save money library access is the way to go. My library has pretty much all the ones named in this thread (including local newspapers), plus a bazillion magazines.

Between Libby, Overdrive, Flipster, and Pressreader, there's no shortage of reading material available...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post