well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sandy Hook redux
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sandy Hook redux
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A gunman opened fire at an elementary school in Uvalde on Tuesday, killing 14 students and one teacher, Gov. Greg Abbott said. The gunman, identified as 18-year-old Salvador Romas, was also killed, Abbott said. Romas was reportedly a student at Uvalde High School or was a former student, Abbott said.

Abbott said Romas shot his grandmother before he went on the shooting rampage at Robb Elementary School.

https://www.ksat.com/news/loca...chool-district-says/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
When will this stop?
Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The school is for 2 - 4 grade only. Little kids.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The death toll is up to 21. Nineteen kids and two adults.

https://www.ksat.com/news/loca...chool-district-says/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The school is for 2 - 4 grade only. Little kids.

This is too heartbreaking. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
This is the main reason people overseas - First World especially - think America is a dangerous, nightmarish place to live.

So different from how we used to be perceived. I remember when I first went to Israel, I was often asked questions reflecting stereotypes (about gangsters, cowboys).

This is altogether different, though. I worry most about the effect on American children's mental health.

Children should, of course, not be subjected to mass shootings, but (as it affects the most) they should not be exposed to the knowledge that people, children most of all, are vulnerable to being shot at random - at school, least of all.

I remember growing up, my younger brother (then ~7) was once asked typically what he wanted to be when he grew up. He gave ordinary answers. What was shocking was at the end of his list, he added after a sober pause "...if I'm not shot first."

He didn't live in a war zone, the Wild West, nor a crime-filled ghetto. Most of all, he wasn't exposed in the news to crimes like today. All the same, this same danger and sense of provisionality was in the back of his mind!*

How must children's minds be being shaped today? I can't imagine parenting a child these days, from this POV. How can even the best, most stable parents deal with these news items and still give their children the necessary sense of security?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
*True, we WERE sensitized to the threat of nuclear war, and children today are also brought up aware of the all too real apocalyptic dangers of climate change. This business of mass killings in schools - ANYWHERE - is quite new. Also, there's a greater sense of immediacy and lack of ability to anticipate.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
This is not a mental health problem, it’s a gun problem. And if it were a mental health problem, which this country does have, that goes back to a republican, Reagan, who shut down the mental health care system.

Cruz et al are demanding an arms race and turning every school in the country into an armed fortress. Just my wacky leftist opinion: I don’t think that’s the answer.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cruz et al are demanding an arms race and turning every school in the country into an armed fortress. Just my wacky leftist opinion: I don’t think that’s the answer.

Yes, let's arm the teachers!

And then in the next breath, and to please their MAGA base, they'll attack the teachers as a commie union, full of RCT indoctrinators and LGBTQ "groomers."

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a massive teacher’s strike would do any good.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
America’s Gun Culture in Seven Charts

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I was looking at gun death data, too. We don't look so good when you look at the whole world...

https://worldpopulationreview....un-deaths-by-country

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If only it weren’t true…

https://www.theonion.com/

https://www.theonion.com/no-wa...re-this-r-1848971668

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
When will this stop?
Frowner

When the $$$$ supply to support pro-gun action in congress ends. Or maybe when angry mobs drag legislators on to the... Oh, wait we just had something like that didn't we?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post