well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sandy Hook redux
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sandy Hook redux
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
This is not a mental health problem, it’s a gun problem. And if it were a mental health problem, which this country does have, that goes back to a republican, Reagan, who shut down the mental health care system.

PJ if you were replying to my post, you misunderstand me.

I wasn't claiming this nightmare phenomenon was the result of a mental health problem, but that it had caused a serious (additional) one for the children of America.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
This is not a mental health problem, it’s a gun problem. And if it were a mental health problem, which this country does have, that goes back to a republican, Reagan, who shut down the mental health care system.

PJ if you were replying to my post, you misunderstand me.

I wasn't claiming this nightmare phenomenon was the result of a mental health problem, but that it had caused a serious (additional) one for the children of America.
I was not replying to your post. I was reacting to the usual chorus of republicans and conservative talking heads who claim this is not a gun problem, it’s a mental health problem.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry...8647e4b0933e736e91f8

The US does not have the corner on mental health problems. We do have more guns per person than any other country and more mass shootings than any other country.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
The other casualty of these tragedies.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry...3e39e4b0933e736dca56

quote:
What is the psychological toll?
There have been countless reports of students and teachers experiencing severe emotional distress during and even long after high-intensity drills that simulate violent situations at school.

A 2021 study from the Georgia Institute of Technology’s Social Dynamics and Wellbeing Lab found that active shooter drills in schools were associated with a 42% increase in stress and anxiety, 39% increase in depression and 23% increase in physiological health problems in children from as young as 5, up to high schoolers, teachers and parents.

Teachers who participated in the study recalled students “texting their parents, praying, crying” because they felt like “they were going to die” during these kinds of trainings. Parents noted that their children subsequently started experiencing “extreme reactions such as panic attacks and “downright fear” in response to innocuous things like hearing a fire alarm go off.

“The impact of these active shooter drills varies depending on the child, their understanding and interpretation of it, their past experiences and their personal worries and fears,” Dr. David J. Schonfeld, director of the National Center for School Crisis and Bereavement at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, told HuffPost. “Children who are highly anxious or just a bit concerned may become more anxious and more concerned because going through these scenarios raises the perception of the likelihood that this might occur to a level that is not tolerable for them.”

He emphasized that frequent drills and discussions in anticipation of active shooter events gives children the expectation that these sorts of things will occur and that the world is an inherently unsafe place. This is particularly true with young children, who may develop a sense that there are lots of people out there looking to harm them, so they are in danger ― which shapes their mental well-being and the way they interact with the world...

Besides the effect of children's awareness of other shootings, and the reciprocal anxiety and fear of sensing that of their families.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Had severe editing problem with WTF but it seems to have been a WTF-computer interface issue which resolved with a major OS update.

(If you saw me writing about it earlier.)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Don't have a lot of hope that anything will change, but at least they're talking.

quote:
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell told CNN on Thursday he met earlier in the day with Texas Sen. John Cornyn and encouraged the senior Republican senator to begin discussions with Democrats, including Sens. Chris Murphy of Connecticut and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, to see if they can find a middle ground on legislation to respond to the tragic Texas elementary school shooting.

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are facing enormous pressure to take action in the wake of the horrific shooting, but members on both sides acknowledge the uphill battle to find common ground given the highly polarized political climate around gun legislation and widespread GOP opposition to stricter gun control.

It is significant, though, that McConnell has decided to weigh in and is giving a greenlight to a bipartisan effort on a potential legislative response to the shooting. But it still remains to be seen what, if anything, talks will amount to given that countless mass shootings in recent years have failed to break the partisan stalemate over the issue of gun policy in Congress.

McConnell would not say specifically what the contours of that legislation should be, instead signaling he wants Cornyn to be the one to negotiate.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/26...-violence/index.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Ummm... Huffpo? Ummmm... yikes? Not the most comforting image after a school shooting.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry...8fcde4b0edd2d0209e00

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Local law enforcement screwed up fifty ways to Sunday.

Frowner

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Frowner
Including abruptly ending the press conference and briskly walking away when the questions got specific.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Frowner

https://apnews.com/article/uva...ettertest&stream=top

https://apnews.com/article/uva...ce445451e4026cedc171

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This is horrible. I'm barely reading any of the reports because each thing I read just breaks my heart even more. I couldn't read the full article about the man who died of a heart attack after his wife, a teacher, was killed at Uvalde.

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that town will have full faith in American policing going forward, and they'll always rally to defend "their" police from outsiders' criticism ...

NOT.

Someone in that town is probably going to suggest a mass firing of the entire force, top to bottom. Wipe the slate clean from the newest recruit to the chief at the top. Every single one of them. Rebuild using a different model of policing and a different level of training.

I'm guessing that many of those officers who stood around fearfully while the town's children were murdered for sport will likely have difficulty living anywhere near that community for fear of retaliation. You have to expect someone will FOIA the department and get a list of names of every police officer who stood there doing nothing. Pleading that they were under orders won't help them with their neighbors.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Lengthy thread and analysis by Mike Baker of the NYT

quote:

The guidelines provide sobering clarity: The first officers may be risking their lives. But, it says, innocent lives take priority.

“A first responder unwilling to place the lives of the innocent above their own safety should consider another career field."
The training expectations are obviously in stark contrast to what we are seeing in Uvalde. Police officials have said that officers were reluctant to engage the gunman because “they could’ve been shot.”

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congressman Chris Jacobs (R-NY), who was endorsed by the National Rifle Association in 2020, said he would support a ban on assault weapons following two horrific mass shootings at a grocery store in New York and an elementary school in Texas.

Jacobs made the remarks — a contradiction to the Republican party's staunch stance on gun laws — during a news conference on Friday.

“If an assault weapons ban bill came to the floor that would ban something like an AR-15, I would vote for it,” he said, according to The Buffalo News. “So I want to be clear: I would vote for it.”

Jacobs, a Republican from New York who was endorsed by the NRA in 2020, also said he is in favor of raising the age for some gun purchases to 21.

"Individuals cannot buy beer, they cannot get cigarettes until 21. I think it’s perfectly reasonable that the age limit at least for these highly lethal, high-capacity semi automatic weapons should be 21," he said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...-weapons-a-rcna30985

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:

I'm guessing that many of those officers who stood around fearfully while the town's children were murdered for sport will likely have difficulty living anywhere near that community for fear of retaliation. You have to expect someone will FOIA the department and get a list of names of every police officer who stood there doing nothing. Pleading that they were under orders won't help them with their neighbors.

It’s Texas. They like this kind of thing.

‘Nuff said.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Maybe state level is the place to work.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...4cbeaa96037bc0bb0a1b

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post