well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Not getting paid?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not getting paid?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I don't understand what his next move might be. Any people more politically adept care to weigh in? What's going to happen on Feb 15th?

There are really only two possibilities.

1. Get something, anything, and declare victory. Say that's what he wanted all along. (The risk here is that the Ann Coulter base will go nuts.)

2. Declare a national emergency. The traditional Senate Republicans go nuts, there's a lawsuit, nothing gets built for a while, but he gets to say that he did what he said he'd do.

I don't see any other way out of the box.

The Ann Coulter base is already going nuts. I think he'll need to get something that he can declare as a win. On the other hand, his base seems to be willing to return to him, again and again.

I have come to believe that his base consists of people who either are evil, or are susceptible to hypnosis. They can be convinced that up is down ... or don’t care.

His problem this time is that he got nothing. Next time, he’ll get something (maybe), he will claim he won, and they will believe him.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
OR he'll dig in his heels because the press has been so bad, and refuse to bend an inch.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
He has *so* backed himself into a corner.

If he gives on DACA or on the wall, President Crazy Coulter and her ilk will crucify him.

If he shuts down the government again, he'll find himself in the same PR mess he did this time. I don't see how he can shift the blame to the Dems.

He should just take the short term hit and hope that it's far enough away from 2020 that his base will forgive and forget. Besides, what alternative do they have? (aside: I really wonder if he'll run in 2020. Two years of life with Nancy as Speaker might just do him in.)

Well, there is this one more alternative.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, there is this one more alternative.

ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18528 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think he'll go the emergency order route. It will be tied up in the courts for years and nothing will get done, but he can say to his base, "see, I took action".

It's the non-solution.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Right. I actually predicted he would go straight to emergency declaration. But I guess by waiting three weeks he can rebuff arguments that he declared an emergency to end the shutdown.

I think the house will vote to override, but I doubt the senate will go along.

I wonder if a court would issue a preliminary injunction to stop the building of the wall while it goes through the courts.

I mean, I don't know that there is any precedent for that, and it would be a big reach for a judge. Do the courts really want to be in the business of telling a president than an emergency is not an emergency?

I wonder what plaintiff has the strongest case for seeking equitable relief to justify an injunction.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting question. Surely the house would have standing, and that would go to the supreme court pretty quickly one would assume. I don't know how the statute is written but if he has to make a case that its a real emergency that would be a heavy lift. But the statue is vague and the bar for declaring an emergency hasn't been very high in the past, I don't know how that would figure in the court's reasoning.

But there'd also be the many suits where he tried his 'military version of emminent domain'. Surely stays would be granted while they are adjudicated, and I wouldn't think he has much of a chance.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

But there'd also be the many suits where he tried his 'military version of emminent domain'. Surely stays would be granted while they are adjudicated, and I wouldn't think he has much of a chance.

Why not? As far as I know, there are really only two questions, whether there's a public purpose and whether the landowner is paid just compensation.

I think the idea that there is no public purpose is laughable.

And just compensation isn't a question of whether, it's a question of how much.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
And I don't think the House of Representatives could sue, right?

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
@Quirt:

Different standard from what I've read (remember, it's 'the military version'). SCOTUS didn't allow that when Truman tried to nationalize the steel mills during the Korean war. From what I've read, that's the relevant precedent

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
And I don't think the House of Representatives could sue, right?

They would have standing under the constitution, they have power of appropriation.

THere's recent case here, when Obama tried to spend money on Obamacare that wasn't appropriated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...resentatives_v._Azar

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Of course there may well be other opinions out there, this is what I've run into reading/listening to folks that don't reflexively disagree with Trump (e.g. Richard Epstein, others)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
@Quirt:

Different standard from what I've read (remember, it's 'the military version'). SCOTUS didn't allow that when Truman tried to nationalize the steel mills during the Korean war. From what I've read, that's the relevant precedent

I haven't re-read the case lately, but I don't think they were using eminent domain in that case, because there was no thought of paying the steel mills to buy them permanently, was there?

The wall's supposed to be a permanent taking.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I don’t know, again that’s Epstein’s take, who wrote a textbook called “Takings, Private Property, and Eminent Domain’ while a professor at Chicago.

That doesn’t mean he’s right, but he’s probably not wrong in some really obvious way.

Then again he was addressing what nobody-but-Trump calls “the military version of Eminent Domain”. I’m not really sure what the distinction is or if there even is one.

He was interviewed about it on the Hoover Institution’s Libertarian procast on an episode entitled ‘Emergency Powers and the Presidency’ if you’re interested.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'll have to go back to the source material when I have time. However, this argument was made by the Solicitor General in the Supreme Court case:

quote:
He admitted that the Constitution did not specifically grant the president the power to seize private property. Nevertheless, Perlman maintained the president could legally do this in a national emergency under his executive power and powers as commander in chief of the military.

http://www.crf-usa.org/bill-of...the-steel-mills.html

If someone says that the Constitution does not specifically grant the President the power to "seize" private property, they're talking about a seizing outside the context of the Fifth Amendment ... i.e., without just compensation.